Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TheJakeR

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 12, 2006
I have a 1st gen iPod that has lasted me for a faithful 4 years! That shows you Apple's supreme build quailty. I am going to upgrade when the new rumored update for the iPod Video is set in April, but for now I need some help fixing my current iPod. After so much use, the top Firewire connector is LOOSE! It does not charge or sync consistently anymore. The actual connector is moving free inside the iPod housing and I would like some help on reconnecting and securing the firewire connector back to the housing and/or board again. I am willing to open the ipod f necessary, because it is on its last legs. I have a soldering iron if needed, so if anyone has a suggestion with some steps to repair the firewire connection ithat is loose in the iPod housing, please post!

Thanks in advance,
Jake R.
My first post and hopefully not the last...

Rocksaurus

macrumors 6502a
Sep 14, 2003
California
I think I'd start off by opening it up and seeing if you can reconnect the firewire port... Opening it up is tricky though I've done it on a 1st gen more than once... Just find a thin, fairly strong metal object that you can wedge between the plastic and metal, and once you do so, work it around the iPod slowly... A word of warning: this will scratch things up a bit. Also, it requires a lot of patience. Have fun with it though! :)

aricher

macrumors 68020
Feb 20, 2004
Chi-il
I have a 1G that has the same problem. I'm thinking about opening it myself as well. It shouldn't be too hard to get the FireWire connector back in place. If you're aprehensive about doing it yourself you could always send it iPodResQ to fix. A friend of mine sent his 1G to them and had it back in 3 days.

http://www.ipodresq.com/

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.