Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

coffey7

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 12, 2006
How do I get the songs on the ipod to go back to Itunes.If I plug in my ipod all my songs will get wiped out.

Chundles

macrumors G5
Jul 4, 2005
If you want to delete the songs from iTunes and leave them on the iPod you have to enable it to "Manually manage songs and playlists."

You're right though, unless you can find a friend's in which to plug your iPod (It will come up with a message asking if you want to associate your iPod with your friend's library - click no, then go into the iPod preferences and change it from Automatically Manage songs and playlists to manual control, you can then plug it back into your computer) you will lose your songs.

This is discussed in the iPod user's guide - the iPod comes from the factory set up to auto sync with your iTunes library. This is to maintain utmost ease of use so that you are only managing one library. However if you have a small HDD you can set it to manually update and manage it as a separate library.

So, unless you have a mate's computer handy you're pretty much stuffed. Sorry, but you should have read the book first. Hope your music's backed up.

cooknwitha

macrumors 6502a
May 5, 2005
London
Chundles said:
Senuti's better and it's free.

Oo-ah... there is another! I might check it out.

I thought it was possible to plug in the iPod and there's just enough time to turn auto-syncing off. I'm sure I've done it once. Unless I dreamed it.

prostuff1

macrumors 65816
Jul 29, 2005
Don't step into the kawoosh...
did the songs vanish or are they still actually there. I had this problem with my iMac when i updated to 10.4.4. For some reason iTunes just "forgot" were the songs were. I say look for the songs and then if you can find them then go to the others suggestions.

I like iPodDisk This will allow you copy from your iPod to your mac.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.