PDA

View Full Version : again: iPod and audiobooks

gringaenojona
Feb 13, 2006, 10:15 AM
hi there,
i have problems how to best organize my audiobooks on my 60GB ipod 5th generation (video).
i already converted all my audiobook files (they were already as mp3-files on my harddrive) via iTunes and an additional script to mp4b files. I put the genre to "audiobooks", then i made playlists from each book (like: playlist "schiller-maria stuart"; playlist "Ken_Follett" etc.).
on the ipod the playlists were still in the musik-folder...not in the audiobook-section...

then i tried to put all the audiobook-files into ONE playlist (e.g. "audiobooks_mp4b"). Now they where exclusively found in the audiobook-section of the ipod (juhu! at least one success!) BUT there were only the track names displayed AND all the tracks of all books where mixed up (like "Track_1" from one boook, then "Track_ 1-01" from the other book, then "Track_2" from the first book again and so on...). AND they are played in that order (or better:unorder) as well.

i found out that one solution could be to merge all tracks into one file (any software-suggestions for mac-osx???), but that would reduce the battery life of my ipod.
And then: how should I best organize even the merged files? into playlists ? or better not?

Has anybody already organized his / her huge audiocollection and is satisfied with it? Are there any shortcuts to avoid all this converting???

Any suggestion and help would be appreciated. And...have merci (swie-swie), I am just a user, no programmer...

saludos and thanx!

Piarco
Feb 13, 2006, 10:36 AM
I've been using iTunesJoin for my audiobooks: http://www.versiontracker.com/dyn/moreinfo/macosx/26713
Great piece of software, especially the newer version. At last count it could only join tracks up to 6hrs or so long, but its better to have 4 audiotracks for a book than 43 chapters....

gringaenojona
Feb 13, 2006, 04:36 PM
I've been using iTunesJoin for my audiobooks: http://www.versiontracker.com/dyn/moreinfo/macosx/26713
Great piece of software, especially the newer version. At last count it could only join tracks up to 6hrs or so long, but its better to have 4 audiotracks for a book than 43 chapters....

thanx for the hint, i am just checking it out. but is there another solution...ä... for free? i know it sounds kind of mean, but if you should pay 10bux for every script.....hm.. (here a great THANK YOU for all providers of free scripts!). na, if iit worx ....
....a few hours later.....

YES! It does, thank you again, pikaro! But You were right, it does only work with files smaller than 6 hours. With bigger files (i tried with one with 13 hours) the script converts correctly to a .mov file (with quicktime), but then it hampers doing the conversion to the .mp4 file.
But then I did as you already suggested, I split it into 3 parts naming it xxx_1 to xxx_3 and the ipod and I are happy with that.