Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

annk

Administrator
Original poster
Staff member
Apr 18, 2004
Somewhere over the rainbow
I read a few recent posts about assignments. It looked like a fun idea, I'd like to join in. Did it ever get off the ground, is it hiding in its own thread somewhere?

Applespider

macrumors G4
The first one happened and then we all got a little sidetracked by Christmas/holidays and it all fell by the wayside.

I think we even tried coming up with some ideas for assignment 2 but that went bye bye too!

Here are some of the ideas from that thread..
Away from Home
Cold (you choose whether it's subject, tone or colour of the image)
Contrast
New Beginnings
Darkness

Let's see what we come up with in the next few days and I'll volunteer to create a poll towards the end of the week so we can get an assignment set.

whocares

macrumors 65816
Oct 9, 2002
:noitаɔo˩
I'm all for starting them up again too! I've been busy working and a little nudge to get me out shooting would be good. :)

Seems like we have a nice little list for a poll, so I suggest Applespider goes ahead and sets it up.

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
Location Location Location
Forget a poll. There are definitely more than 5 months in the year, and we will go through all 5 of those eventually. Doesn't matter which we start with, lets just go through them from the top. :)

And even though I didn't read the final rules, I'm assuming they're something like before? Is there a winner this time? I think having a winner would be better.

Applespider

macrumors G4
I think the consensus last year was 'no winner' since it wasn't a competition but a way for us to improve our photography skills and see what people's artistic eyes saw that we might have missed. The idea was that then anyone would put forward a picture rather than amateurs being overwhelmed and not bothering. I suspect that if there's a clear stunning shot, it will be acknowledged as such.

I think I'd like to see them all in a single thread rather than spread out this time - might be easier to keep track of and encourage more comments? I think the argument against this last time was that it might get confusing to know which picture was being commented on.

annk

Administrator
Original poster
Staff member
Apr 18, 2004
If we start with the first 5 (or more if people have ideas) and a time frame (one a month? one every 14 days?), and Applespider can start it out in its own thread with an order and deadlines (since she so kindly offered :) ), then we're in business :cool:

Applespider

macrumors G4
I think every two weeks is a little ambitious - since you have to take the picture in that time - and we'll get more ideas constantly - some of these might be past it since they were thought of in early Jan. A poll (quick one) is probably worthwhile since I'm not sure "Away from home" hasn't been done to death in the 'Landmarks' thread recently.

Let's leave it tonight in case anyone else chimes in overnight. Tomorrow I'll set a poll up - with these 5 options unless anyone chimes in with any more.
Choose by the end of this week and then pictures in by end of the month.

Then we'll start the next one off. I'm happy, for the moment, to keep on top of it - and declare new ideas/polls every month.

Think we're all agreed though that a single thread is best.

annk

Administrator
Original poster
Staff member
Apr 18, 2004
Ok, I've voted.

Thanks for setting it up, Applespider.

images

G4scott

macrumors 68020
Jan 9, 2002
USA_WA
neut said:
*Don't vote for Cold when it's cold ... too easy. :rolleyes:

:p

Heh, it was 70° here yesterday... Of course, now it's rainy and around 40°, but winter down in Texas doesn't always mean cold. The problem is, it's hard to find cold outside of an icebox during the when it's not winter.

Either way, I'm in for whatever assignment wins.

Applespider

macrumors G4
G4scott said:
The problem is, it's hard to find cold outside of an icebox during the when it's not winter.

The subject doesn't have to be cold. It might just be the tone of the picture that is cold?

Abstract said:
We only get 10 days (2 weekends) to take photos? Wazzupwitdat?

People seemed to be suggesting to speed it up a little - and we're out of synch with the regular rules anyhow. 10 days to see if you can get a shot - and move it along to the next one. There'll be no requirement to enter all of them after all - and it should help keep things moving a little and stop it going to the back of people's minds?

Applespider

macrumors G4
The Assignment 2 thread is up

I'd suggest using that one to post pictures in and then comments on them.
Let's see how it goes...

One thing I did wonder - are we set on the rule about when the picture has to be taken? Or could we relax the rules to within 3 months? There might be a picture you have that is perfect for the theme but you won't have a chance to recreate in the time limit?

whocares

macrumors 65816
Oct 9, 2002
:noitаɔo˩
Applespider said:
The Assignment 2 thread is up

I'd suggest using that one to post pictures in and then comments on them.
Let's see how it goes...

One thing I did wonder - are we set on the rule about when the picture has to be taken? Or could we relax the rules to within 3 months? There might be a picture you have that is perfect for the theme but you won't have a chance to recreate in the time limit?

I agree that 10 day is a bit short (especially for me - I'm very busy at the moment), but 3 months is too long. I think the idea of a deadline is good as you have to "go get" the pricture instead of waiting for it to appear by magic.

Applespider

macrumors G4
Sorry was meaning 2 or 3 months before the assignment start time? So if during the festive season, you took the perfect 'cold' shot, you could use that rather than having to find one now.

I think the 10 day limit should stay on this one - to get us back to a monthly series (the next one can have a longer shooting time to end of March) - but if it gets to 28 Feb and there are very few pics, I'm sure we can extend it until the next weekend.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.