PDA

View Full Version : My iBook thinks it's a Powerbook!

MukelG
Feb 13, 2006, 02:02 PM
I recently took my Book to the Apple Store to have my ibook fixed [fell off desk, whups] and when I got it back, it thought it was a powerbook.

Here's the specs:
Machine Name: iBook G4
Machine Model: PowerBook6,7
CPU Type: PowerPC G4 (1.5)
Number Of CPUs: 1
CPU Speed: 1.33 GHz

What gives?

chosenwolf
Feb 13, 2006, 02:12 PM
Maybe when it fell it suffered a head injury and now has memory loss & doesn't know who it is!

:D

ITASOR
Feb 13, 2006, 02:15 PM
PowerBook6,7 is the name of the processor, all iBooks have the processor name like that. My iBook G4 (in sig) also has the PowerBook6,7 in system profiler. My clamshell has PowerBook2,1. It's normal!

EDIT: I have the same iBook as you (if yours is a 12") but mine says CPU Type: PowerPC G4 (1.2) not 1.5....dunno why it says that....maybe someone else knows what that means.

crazzyeddie
Feb 13, 2006, 02:20 PM
I think its the voltage of the processor?

MukelG
Feb 13, 2006, 02:21 PM
PowerBook6,7 is the name of the processor, all iBooks have the processor name like that. My iBook G4 (in sig) also has the PowerBook6,7 in system profiler. My clamshell has PowerBook2,1. It's normal!

EDIT: I have the same iBook as you (if yours is a 12") but mine says CPU Type: PowerPC G4 (1.2) not 1.5....dunno why it says that....maybe someone else knows what that means.

Yea, it's a 12" iBook.

ITASOR
Feb 13, 2006, 02:26 PM
I think its the voltage of the processor?

Why would his voltage be higher than mine if it's the same exact computer? O_o

G4scott
Feb 13, 2006, 02:28 PM
I don't think it has to do with the voltages, but rather with the processor model or revision.

worriedmac
Sep 3, 2006, 05:54 PM
I had a 12 inch ibook. It decided it wanted to be called a powerbook when I put a faster, larger HD in it. The speed difference went to its head I think.

California
Sep 3, 2006, 05:57 PM
I turned my friends 1.33 12" iBook into a powerbook

Gave it a superdrive and a 100gig hard drive.

It is very happy.

MacFan25863
Sep 3, 2006, 06:00 PM
My sisters says the same thing.

Are the internals of the 12in PBG4 1.33 GHz and the 12in iBG4 1.33 GHz identical? If so, I'm guessing they just transplanted the internals, rather than making a custom chipset for the iBook, hence the name being the same.

mkrishnan
Sep 3, 2006, 06:14 PM
No, there are at least some differences between the PB 12" and iBook architecture. For instance the last iBook had the 512MB built-in memory and so on.... Also I think the PB has an extra speaker or something like that, doesn't it?

But anyway, the way I understand the numbers, the first number is the series and the second number is the model. So my much older iBook G4 is a Powerbook 6,3.

mduser63
Sep 3, 2006, 06:25 PM
No, there are at least some differences between the PB 12" and iBook architecture. For instance the last iBook had the 512MB built-in memory and so on.... Also I think the PB has an extra speaker or something like that, doesn't it?

But anyway, the way I understand the numbers, the first number is the series and the second number is the model. So my much older iBook G4 is a Powerbook 6,3.

Not only that, but the PowerBook G4 had a different bus speed (167 MHz vs. 133 MHz). And of course, the logic boards are not the same, as evidenced by the ports being arranged differently and the RAM being in different spots.

admanimal
Sep 3, 2006, 09:49 PM
My iMac says its a PowerMac, it's nothing unusual.

Chone
Sep 3, 2006, 10:13 PM
My iMac says its a PowerMac, it's nothing unusual.

And my PowerMac thinks its a supercomputer, no wonder it refuses to do any of the mundane tasks I put it to do... too little for him I guess...

Nah seriously its possible Apple swapped your processor and downclocked it for whatever reason, did your problem involve a chipset problem?

admanimal
Sep 3, 2006, 10:22 PM
And my PowerMac thinks its a supercomputer, no wonder it refuses to do any of the mundane tasks I put it to do... too little for him I guess...

Nah seriously its possible Apple swapped your processor and downclocked it for whatever reason, did your problem involve a chipset problem?

No I'm serious, my iMac is listed as a PowerMac8,2 in the system profiler. There is nothing out of the ordinary with this person's iBook, it's supposed to say PowerBook.

displaced
Sep 4, 2006, 08:25 AM
No I'm serious, my iMac is listed as a PowerMac8,2 in the system profiler. There is nothing out of the ordinary with this person's iBook, it's supposed to say PowerBook.

Absolutely. I think these values date back quite a way through Macintosh history. The PowerMacX,X tag literally means that it's a Power PC-based machine, making it distinct from the earlier 680x0-based machines.

This is all part of the Mac system's "Gestalt" -- an historic set of functions used by applications to find out about the system on which they were running.

An (apparently) complete list of Gestalt values for different Macs is here. (http://www.rgaros.nl/gestalt/chapters/ch-06.html) I'm not entirely sure if the Gestalt is still around in these post-Classic times, but there's certainly something very similar.

[edit:]A bit of historical geekery: PowerMac1,1 was the blue Power Macintosh G3, and the PowerMacX,X tag survived all the way up to the G5. Likewise, I believe the PowerBookX,X tag covered the entire PowerBook/iBook range. Just checked my MBP, and it looks like they've started afresh: MacBook1,1. I wonder what the new Intel iMacs are tagged?

kerryliu
Sep 4, 2006, 10:17 AM

really funny:D
my ibook also tells me it's model is powerbook6,5