Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kntgsp

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 27, 2004
I know that currently all the Adobe Photoshop and Suite products run under Rosetta on the Intel Macs, but I'm just curious as to HOW much slower exactly.

Since the Intel native version is 6+ months away as quoted by Adobe, I need to know exactly how slow it is, before gearing up for a new macbook pro.

Thanks.

/Most of the files I work with are around 20-50 mb, and I usually have 4 or 5 open at a time.

Blue Velvet

Moderator emeritus
Jul 4, 2004
From personal hands-on experience with a 17" iMac with 512mb RAM... about the same as a G4 PowerMac 733 Quicksilver (two of which we have in the office).

In other words: useable.

kntgsp

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 27, 2004
Ok, then the 1.83 Ghz MacBook Pro would be quicker than that. And I would load it up with Ram too, so I guess it'd be like a G4 1.25, +/- some.

I'm so sick of using a PC, really. As I type on this bloody computer I have thoughts about throwing it out the window........

I want my MacBook Pro dang it.

I'm not really up to snuff on all this Intel vs PPC crapola, so what about printer drivers? I have an Epson R800, an HP1210, and a 5550. Just want to make sure all of them will run. Also, if i save a file in photoshop on the Intel Mac, since it is still PPC emulation, I should be able to open it on an XP/98 machine right? Right now when I save files in PS on my XP machine, they will open fine on a 98 machine. (it's a printer for which there are no xp drivers as it isn't made anymore)

Blue Velvet

Moderator emeritus
Jul 4, 2004
kntgsp said:
Also, if i save a file in photoshop on the Intel Mac, since it is still PPC emulation, I should be able to open it on an XP/98 machine right?

Yep, no probs — no changes there. Can't help you with the printer drivers query though.

plinden

macrumors 601
Apr 8, 2004

kntgsp

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 27, 2004
plinden, you have any idea about using those printers with the MacBook Pro?

The Epson R800, Hp 1210, and Hp 5550?

Just curious since it's a diff OS, will the printer drivers run in emulation?

/all this emulating is giving me a headache

truz

macrumors 6502a
Jan 1, 2006
Florida
I have an amd 64 3200 which I just upgraded from 512mb to 1gig of ram and on my 20" imac intel with 2gigs of ram runs photoshop cs2 alot faster then my windows box running cs2. I also have an HP printer and all I did was plug it into my mac and restart and it started printing right away. I also know that in the 10.4.5 update (released today) they NOTE: that they fixed driver problems with epson printers so I'm sure your in the clear :)

*EDIT* the single button mac mouse (included) will throw you off in photoshop if you use your right clicker. Also, the keyboard and mouse included with mac desktops, both cords are 2 feet long at the most, I think they are shorter as I did see the mac keyboard has usb ports on it so the mouse plugs into them which would be no problem, but my mac keyboard won't fit in my keyboard holder (desk has a built in keyboard holder that hangs under the desk and rolls out, like most desks now days) The cord would not reach at all, I needed another foot of cord which kinda pissed me off when I got this mac. I got use to the keyboard going on top my desk tho so its no biggie. I'm very pleased with the switch as things work much faster for myself.

shrimpdesign

macrumors 6502a
Dec 9, 2005
I am using CS2 with 512.

It takes a long time to start. It gets faster as you use it. It's useable until I get more RAM.

radiantm3

macrumors 65816
Oct 16, 2005
San Jose, CA
truz said:
*EDIT* the single button mac mouse (included) will throw you off in photoshop if you use your right clicker.

I thought all desktop macs now come with the mighty mouse. Right click is just disabled by default. My wife's G5 iMac came with the 4 button (left/right/middle/squeeze) mighty mouse.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.