Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Craigy

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 14, 2003
New Zealand
Well, our new Macbook Pro is supposed to arrive in a few days time and we have sold our powerbook. We used VPC on the powerbook to run MS Enterprose manager / SQL server.

Until VPC is out as a universal binary: can anyone recommend a VPC like application that will run on intel. I've looked at the Guest PC site but can't find any universal binary info.

Thanks

bigboy99

macrumors 6502
Nov 12, 2005
Sarasota, FL
I'm interested in Windows emulation solutions, but don't understand this thread in light of the following from the Darwine site:

v.9.7 DP

Important Warning: YOU WILL NOT BE ABLE TO RUN WINDOWS APPLICATION USING IT ON POWERPC HARDWARE USING THIS RELEASE.

I just installed Virtual PC 7.0 on my Powerbook G4 (1.67G/2G ram). It seems to run Windows apps nearly as fast as my Dell Inspiron 8200 (2.2G/512M ram) except for opening and saving, which are slower. It uses all the OS X (10.4.5) peripherals (mouse, printer, network, internet, etc.) without issue.

rehlers

macrumors member
Feb 13, 2006
Phoenix, AZ - USA
Good luck with Q, its still very alpha. I Tried windows 98 and 2000. Some people have had luck installing windows 98 on a PPC machine and then moving it over to intel. Windows 2000 I got installed, but now it won't install any applications. What does run, works fairly well though. I am hopeful that in a few months we'll see something that is pretty good.

kntgsp

macrumors 6502a
Jul 27, 2004
Honestly, I think it's almost worth avoiding the hassle and frustration to just buy a cheapo laptop on ebay. Some Toshiba or HP that's a couple years old. It'll run everything XP based just fine, and cost about 500 bucks. Worth avoiding the hassle if you ask me.

/Hated VPC

bigboy99

macrumors 6502
Nov 12, 2005
Sarasota, FL
kntgsp said:
Honestly, I think it's almost worth avoiding the hassle and frustration to just buy a cheapo laptop on ebay. Some Toshiba or HP that's a couple years old. It'll run everything XP based just fine, and cost about 500 bucks. Worth avoiding the hassle if you ask me.

/Hated VPC

The Mac version of Quicken is barely shareware compared to the PC version, and the files will not import without major nightmares (missing info - try vetting 7 years of 8 accounts). I had hoped to use a native app, but personal finance apps written for the Mac are not great, either.

I have a Dell Inspiron that still works great ( my Powerbook is far more inspiring), but with a loaded PPC G4 & Virtual PC 7 I am now able to again accomplish all the tasks that I bought a computer for. No need to drag two of them on my journeys.

Some folks like rice, some like steak...

BB99

mwpeters8182

macrumors 6502
Apr 16, 2003
Boston, MA
bigboy99 said:
I'm interested in Windows emulation solutions, but don't understand this thread in light of the following from the Darwine site:

v.9.7 DP

Important Warning: YOU WILL NOT BE ABLE TO RUN WINDOWS APPLICATION USING IT ON POWERPC HARDWARE USING THIS RELEASE.

I just installed Virtual PC 7.0 on my Powerbook G4 (1.67G/2G ram). It seems to run Windows apps nearly as fast as my Dell Inspiron 8200 (2.2G/512M ram) except for opening and saving, which are slower. It uses all the OS X (10.4.5) peripherals (mouse, printer, network, internet, etc.) without issue.

The OP doesn't have PowerPC hardware, he has a MacBook Pro, which runs intel hardware. Also, I have a hard time believing that you get near-native speed in VPC. I've used it before, and it doesn't come anywhere near the speed of my PC, but it's still useful.

bigboy99

macrumors 6502
Nov 12, 2005
Sarasota, FL
mwpeters8182 said:
The OP doesn't have PowerPC hardware, he has a MacBook Pro, which runs intel hardware. Also, I have a hard time believing that you get near-native speed in VPC. I've used it before, and it doesn't come anywhere near the speed of my PC, but it's still useful.

Yeah, I re-read the entire thread and figured that out (too late). I wouldn't run PhotoShop in emulation, but for Quicken it actually does perform at about 80% +. In 7.0 the amount of memory can be pumped up to 512 meg, and the tranparent use of all Mac peripherals make it a reasonable solution for me.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.