Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

1996Mac

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 11, 2003
Chapel Hill, NC
Those people from Redmond had big plans for its next OS. It was suppose to have a make up of three or four major components. What were/are them? And what will not make it to market in the fall of 2006 or eary 2007?

timswim78

macrumors 6502a
Feb 8, 2006
Baltimore, MD
1996Mac wrote:

Those people from Redmond had big plans for its next OS. It was suppose to have a make up of three or four major components. What were/are them? And what will not make it to market in the fall of 2006 or eary 2007?

WinFS, the new Windows File System, is one of the big things. It will be released a little bit after Vista comes out.

The new UI, Aero, will be released with Vista.

Windows desktop search, will be released with Vista.

IE 7 will be in Vista.

New user account controls, will be released with Vista.

Speech Recognitions, will be released with Vista.

Microsoft Mail, a replacement for Outlook Express, will be released with Vista.

Windows Calendar, Windows Photo Gallery, and other minor stuff, will be released with Vista.

Last edited by a moderator:

virus1

macrumors 65816
Jun 24, 2004
LOST
gee. those specs seem to be awfully similar to another os i seem to be framiliar with.. :rolleyes:

progx

macrumors 6502a
Oct 3, 2003
Pennsylvania
MS better churn out a Windows soon. or many of its user base is going to think it's dead.

actually here's something: Windows users, don't feel bad just because they want to make XBOXs for the rest of their lives. Apple users are feeling what it's like to be second wheel to the iPod for the past 4 years. :D

seriously though, they need to get it out.

from the screenshots i've seen, the GUI looks pretty sharp, i have to applaud that. what i've heard though, pardon me while i use a direct quote i heard, "vista, my friend is testing it, he says it runs like s***."

in the words of Carl Palmer on the pending Asia reunion, "Only Time Will Tell."

dejo

Moderator emeritus
Sep 2, 2004
The Centennial State
timswim78 said:
WinFS, the new Windows File System, is one of the big things. It will be released a little bit after Vista comes out.

And WinFS won't even require Vista. Microsoft plans on back-porting it for Windows XP and 2003.

jer2eydevil88

macrumors 6502
Feb 6, 2004
USA
Anywhere from 40 - 60% of the new enhancements to come out in Vista will be packaged into XP SP3 to keep customers happy and compatible with Vista Server's. Windows XP users can expect WinFS, IE 7, Microsoft Mail and other under the hood enhancements.

I expect they can also expect a solid 50 - 100 patches in the first year. Just like every other OS M$ has released this one will have many highly publicized flaws.

VanNess

macrumors 6502a
Mar 31, 2005
California
dpertell said:
And what will not make it to market in the fall of 2006 or eary 2007?

Originality and innovation.

Not in 06, 07, or any other year that Gates and Balmer are still running the operation.

dotdotdot

macrumors 68020
Jan 23, 2005
dejo said:
And WinFS won't even require Vista. Microsoft plans on back-porting it for Windows XP and 2003.

...missing functionality in the ports, of course.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.