PDA

View Full Version : Side-by-side comparison of iMac Duo and iMac G5 boot-up (Vid...

MacBytes
Feb 14, 2006, 10:43 AM
http://www.macbytes.com/images/bytessig.gif (http://www.macbytes.com)

Category: Videos
Link: Side-by-side comparison of iMac Duo and iMac G5 boot-up (Video) (http://www.macbytes.com/link.php?sid=20060214114301)
Description:: One of the things that is particularly noticeable is how much faster the Intel iMac boots up. He did a video demonstration, putting the camera on the desk and starting both machines at the same time. The new Intel iMac boots up in a tad over 20 secs. The G5 takes around a closer to 50 seconds.

Posted on MacBytes.com (http://www.macbytes.com)
Approved by Mudbug

emw
Feb 14, 2006, 10:46 AM
Not that surprising, I guess, but still interesting to see "in person" so to speak.

Jovian9
Feb 14, 2006, 10:50 AM
A newer machine with a clean install of OSX would boot up faster.....
am I right?

My iMac G5 boots up very fast and the OSX install is from November. Much faster than the one in the video.

cwedl
Feb 14, 2006, 10:51 AM
Interesting, It loads a lot faster than my g4 Powerbook, but the G5 seems to take the same amount of time as my powerbook though.

longofest
Feb 14, 2006, 10:51 AM
people should note that this is not a comparison of processor speed, but rather of the efficiency of EFI vs. Open Firmware.

You can see that once the iMac G5 got to the gray screen, it also booted up quite quickly, it just took a long time to get there. That's Open Firmware for you...

longofest
Feb 14, 2006, 10:57 AM
am I right?

My iMac G5 boots up very fast and the OSX install is from November. Much faster than the one in the video.

This video is probably the one that is the controversial one, where the guy used a crappy whose disk was fragmented and all that vs. a brand new install on the intel iMac.

For those who are about to jump on me for mentioning "mac" and "fragmentation" in the same sentence... Yes, macs have fragmentation problems. HFS+ and OS 10.3+ does a great job at mitigating it, but the fragmentation still exists. Case example: I had my Powerbook responding very slow with all disk activity (system startup and application startup). I ran iDefrag, and it is now running much faster... about 50% increase.

AtHomeBoy_2000
Feb 14, 2006, 11:12 AM
am I right?
Well, i bought a G5 iMac in September and since the day it came out of the box, it has taken about 45 seconds to boot up from the moment I press the power button. So, that demo seems pretty acurite.

BakedBeans
Feb 14, 2006, 11:22 AM
This video is probably the one that is the controversial one, where the guy used a crappy whose disk was fragmented and all that vs. a brand new install on the intel iMac.

How about you watch it to find out - no it is not the same one

TheMasin9
Feb 14, 2006, 11:31 AM
ive seen this about 2 weeks ago...

nostaws
Feb 14, 2006, 12:16 PM
i rarely shut down anyway

longofest
Feb 14, 2006, 12:17 PM
How about you watch it to find out - no it is not the same one

I did watch it. I hadn't seen the one that was getting so much flack earlier on, so that was why I couldn't say whether it was or wasn't the one the controversial one.

Nermal
Feb 14, 2006, 12:40 PM
i rarely shut down anyway

Exactly. I don't really see the point in timing he bootup. I very rarely reboot (never, in the case of my Intel so far) so couldn't really care less about how long it takes.

freiheit
Feb 14, 2006, 05:00 PM
Personally coming from the world of PCs (before XP) a startup that's under 2 minutes is pretty fast in my book. Windows 2000 here on an Athlon64 3000+ and a gig of RAM can take anywhere from 2-3 minutes to boot to a usable state. The iMac G5 at around 50 seconds is blazing fast compared to that, but yeah 20 seconds for the Intel iMac is absolutely stunning.

Still though, these videos with the G5 iMacs booting worry me -- my dual G4 PowerMac seems to boot up as fast (or faster) but more importantly is the gray startup screen that seems to load in multiple steps on the G5. Mine just pops right up in one step. What happend with the G5 iMacs that changed that?

rspeaker
Feb 14, 2006, 05:51 PM
I bought a Core Duo iMac (albeit the 1.83GHz) and had it set up alongside my Mac mini for several days. My iMac does boot up in about 30 seconds, but the mini does so in about 35 seconds or so. But as someone else stated... who cares how long it takes to boot up; who turns off their Mac?

sjk
Feb 14, 2006, 05:58 PM
Isn't this a rehash of an old topic?

people should note that this is not a comparison of processor speed, but rather of the efficiency of EFI vs. Open Firmware.Thanks for bringing that up. Seems to be ignored in discussions of boot speed comparisons, like some other contributing factors I'd brought up earlier.

Oh well. Time to stop wasting my attention on overly vague pseudo-analysis of this mundane issue.

Stridder44
Feb 14, 2006, 09:53 PM
Did anyone else want to punch the narrator in the nuts the first 5 seconds into the video?

MacsRgr8
Feb 15, 2006, 12:31 AM
Is he a Phil Schiller impressionist??

BTW, like someone already stated, that is EFI vs. OpenFirmware. Once you got the grey Apple logo... from then on they were very similar.
My Quad also takes ages from powering on to grey Apple logo. After that... well... :cool:

solvs
Feb 15, 2006, 04:35 AM
Meh, still happy with my G5. But looking forward to my new Intel PowerMac and or iBook. Wow, that still sounds weird to me.

iJaz
Feb 15, 2006, 05:33 AM
I reboot about once a month so owning an Intel iMac instead of a G5 iMac would save me 6 minutes of waiting time, every year! :eek:

KREX725
Feb 15, 2006, 06:43 AM
I reboot about once a month so owning an Intel iMac instead of a G5 iMac would save me 6 minutes of waiting time, every year! :eek:

Hey, pal, that's six extra minutes of your life you'd never get back...NEVER. :p

cr2sh
Feb 15, 2006, 01:28 PM
There are two videos on that website if you look around... the guys did it twice.

The second time the boot times were near identical.

This first boot was a fluke.. my g5 doesn't take that long.