Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iSee

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Oct 25, 2004
Clock for clock, core for core, which CPU is faster?

The benchmarks (on universal apps) I've seen show a Core Duo iMac 1.83 Ghz doing most things around 70% as fast as a Powermac G5 dual 2.0 GHz. I know there are other differences in the systems, like the video card, memory bus speed, but that still makes me think the G5 is faster than a Core Duo.

But I keep hearing people mention that the Core Duo is fater than the G5.

So which is it?

BakedBeans

macrumors 68040
May 6, 2004
What's Your Favorite Posish
It depends really, what apps etc and how much RAM etc etc.

The dual G5's are pro Machines. The core duos are Portable chips, for them to keep up with such fast machines its a credit to Apple.

My dual 2ghz imac is rapid when compared to my old systems (Powermac dual 1.8 2gb ram and 1.5 PB)

This is the fasted computer ive ever used. Except the dual 2.7 with 4gb ram in the apple store ( the OS seems snappier on this for some reason though).

Dont forget about the price difference between the powermacs and the imacs too. The imac blows it away for value thats for sure - until the new intel beast come out that is.

cnakeitaro

macrumors 6502
Jan 16, 2006
Virginia Beach
iSee said:
Clock for clock, core for core, which CPU is faster?

The benchmarks (on universal apps) I've seen show a Core Duo iMac 1.83 Ghz doing most things around 70% as fast as a Powermac G5 dual 2.0 GHz. I know there are other differences in the systems, like the video card, memory bus speed, but that still makes me think the G5 is faster than a Core Duo.

But I keep hearing people mention that the Core Duo is fater than the G5.

So which is it?

Most of the benchmarks I have seen quote the Core Duo faster than the Dual 2.0 Ghz G5 with universal apps. I don't know if the website I saw them on is legit. http://www.barefeats.com/imcd.html

I think in the end it really depends on what you are doing, but point is, theres an iMac out there with the power of a current PowerMac.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.