PDA

View Full Version : Microdrive

sammyg
Feb 14, 2006, 02:35 PM
If I remove the micro-drive from the iPod will I be able to use it in my Sony R1?
It is like CF right?

cwedl
Feb 14, 2006, 02:57 PM
don't hold me to this? I don't think so unless its the iPod mini, if I remember correctly, back in the time, buying an iPod nano was cheaper than buying just the harddrive. this meant people were stripping out the harddrives of these iPods.

sammyg
Feb 14, 2006, 02:59 PM
So can I?
I did mean an iPod mini

iGary
Feb 14, 2006, 03:10 PM
So can I?
I did mean an iPod mini

Compact flash is cheap as dirt right now. Go buy yourself a 4GB CF Card and save yourself a lot of heartache.

Yes, some people did succesfully remove these microdrives and use them. I sertainly wouldn't jam one in my cameras, though.

spacepower7
Feb 14, 2006, 03:56 PM
This used to be possible with other MP3 players (Archos and Rio) but then people were buying them just for the cheap microdrives. These companies eventually built firmware or something of the sort into the microdrives and they can no longer be used in cameras or other devices.

You can buy a 4GB microdrive for $150 or less. I got one for $129 3 weeks ago at Best Buy.

Currently you can get a 4GB Sandisk CF for $150 and a 4GB Ultra II (one of the fastest CF cards) for $179.

Check out
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/

Also, if you still have your mind set on taking apart an iPod, search the forums first, at

www.dpreview.com

good luck