Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Jopling

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 14, 2004
Hey, our Acura TL we purchased over the summer supports DVD Audio that has been encoded in surround sound. It came with a sampler, but I was wondering if there are any online stores that sell these discs, I also just got surround sound in the house and I would like to have some stuff to show off.

iMeowbot

macrumors G3
Aug 30, 2003
There aren't that many DVD-A titles out, maybe a thousand or so. Of the major labels, two haven't really bothered with the format at all. You can find some of the more popular ones at Amazon, I'm sure the other major sellers will have them too.

Jopling

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 14, 2004
Thanks a lot. Not much selection unless you are into classical. I'm surprised more companies haven't hopped onto SACD OR DVD-A. I'm really dissapointed. Hopefully we will see more companies releasing these discs in the future with the introduction of cheap surround sound, surround sound headphones and the new mp3 format that supports surround sound.

iMeowbot

macrumors G3
Aug 30, 2003
It's quadraphonic all over again, with too many competing "standards" making it too expensive to justify supporting them all. I'm convinced that there is some fundamental natural force at play that prevents humans from agreeing on audio standards involving more than two speakers.

Jopling

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 14, 2004
Hey Lucas got THX in tons of theaters by being stubborn because everyone wanted his movies. Anyone have that kind of power in the audio industry? High demand product and has a monopoly in the market which would allow the company to set standards... hmmm

LethalWolfe

macrumors G3
Jan 11, 2002
Los Angeles
Jopling said:
Hey Lucas got THX in tons of theaters by being stubborn because everyone wanted his movies. Anyone have that kind of power in the audio industry? High demand product and has a monopoly in the market which would allow the company to set standards... hmmm

Apples to oranges comparison. Lucas got many theaters to adopt THX because showing Lucas' movies would more than cover the costs of the upgrades. How many home owners have a THX certified sound system?

If quality was the prime consumer concern then the iTMS would be a flop and DVD-A and/or SACD would huge.

Lethal

Jopling

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 14, 2004
you can get a thx certified system from best buy for as littl as $200 if not cheaper.

LethalWolfe

macrumors G3
Jan 11, 2002
Los Angeles
Jopling said:
you can get a thx certified system from best buy for as littl as $200 if not cheaper.

Poor example on my part because I didn't realize that THX had a graduated listing of qualifications (obviously the $200 systems at Beset Buy wouldn't work very well in a large movie theater).

My point remains the same though. Lucas had the clout to leverage the theaters into an upgrade. Apple trying the same trick w/consumers is a completely different game and would blow up in their faces.

Lethal

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.