PDA

View Full Version : iPod Nano hard drive erased after charging battery

ttafelsky
Feb 14, 2006, 07:30 PM
I have an iPod Nano that is formatted to work with my Mac, running OSX. I was traveling and wanted to recharge the Nano but used my PC to do this.

It appears that the Nano charged ok (at least from what I can tell) but all of my files have been erased or at least appear to have been erased.

Is it possible that when I plugged the Nano into the PC that the Nano got confused by a different OS and erased everything?

If so, will I need to 'restore' the Nano then reload what I had on there originally? Or do something else.

Feedback is greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

macEfan
Feb 14, 2006, 07:45 PM
ipod nano's don't have hard drives- they have flash memory. No, they files don't get confused.( you are running itunes on both computers right?)

Yes, restoring would be a good idea.

rockthecasbah
Feb 14, 2006, 07:49 PM
i don't know why it would cause the erasing to happen, but the format for OSX is different than the FAT32 used by windows. It is possible that it got confused and reformatted your HD, but i don't know. If you want to use it between the two operating systems, use FAT32 which works on both windows and mac OSX and see if the flash memory erases itself when plugged into the 2 computers. If it still does, your flash memory is corrupting or something and you should bring it into repair...good luck :)

edit: apparently macEfan says it isn't being "confused" or whatever, but it's still worth a try seeing if it works fine with FAT32 format.