PDA

View Full Version : Airport Express disappears after ibook sleeps

thewhitehart
Feb 14, 2006, 08:50 PM
I recently bought an airport express to use solely for the purpose of streaming music to external speakers. It is connected as a node on my existing wireless network, run by a D-Link 524 router. I control the express from my ibook using the airport setup assistant.

The problem is that whenever I put the ibook to sleep, upon waking it the ibook forgets that the airport express is there, and that it can stream music to my external speakers. This occurs under several scenarios, whether or not I close the lid of the ibook while itunes is playing to the external speakers, whether itunes is closed, or if I have the music paused and then close the lid. If I put the ibook to sleep while itunes is streaming music to the external speakers, the music stops - I fully expect this. But when I wake the ibook, itunes tells me it cannot find the external speakers. I'll then run the airport setup assistant, and the assistant can't find the airport express. The airport admin utility cannot find it either. In order to let the ibook know the express is there, I have to do a hard reset of the D-link router.

At all times, even after the ibook awakes from sleep, the D-link router notes that the airport express is connected and has an assigned IP address and MAC address. The ibook's firewall allows itunes library sharing, so it's not that. Why can't the ibook remember that it's there? Please help, I'm tired of putting the ibook to sleep when I leave and having to reset my router all over again for the express to stream music :(