Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Vinnie_vw

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 16, 2005
the Netherlands
Hi,

My friend just sent me this really small freeware app, called resizen, for windows that allows me to resize all the pictures I select in a folder to the resolution I want.

I was wondering if something similar exists on the Mac? Unless there's no other option, I'm not looking for graphic-intensive apps. I have iPhoto, didn't see any relevant setting there, except perhaps "constrain" under edit but that doesn't list any resolutions? I also have the Canon Image Browser, which doesn't seem to have what I need either. Is there any freeware or cheapware app out there that does the job well? Thanks!

V.

motti

macrumors newbie
Jun 16, 2004
Folder actions?

Vinnie_vw said:
Hi,

My friend just sent me this really small freeware app, called resizen, for windows that allows me to resize all the pictures I select in a folder to the resolution I want.

I was wondering if something similar exists on the Mac? Unless there's no other option, I'm not looking for graphic-intensive apps. I have iPhoto, didn't see any relevant setting there, except perhaps "constrain" under edit but that doesn't list any resolutions? I also have the Canon Image Browser, which doesn't seem to have what I need either. Is there any freeware or cheapware app out there that does the job well? Thanks!

V.

Have you tried automator (if you're running Tiger) oder intelligent folder actions? Or do you need something else?

wordmunger

macrumors 603
Sep 3, 2003
North Carolina
You can use iPhoto to export a bunch of photos to a given size. Is that what you want to do? I have an older version of iPhoto, but it's the file -- export command. Then you specify the size, and you're all set. The only annoying thing is that it doesn't allow you to specify the dimensions of vertical and horizontal photos independently.

Vinnie_vw

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 16, 2005
the Netherlands
Thanks for the quick responses, I was already responding to motti, when I got all these good suggestions. :) In short, iPhoto export works perfectly, exactly what I wanted.

I checked out Automator, for the 1st time, it seemed quite complicated but logical. Selecting the Preview-app gives me the option to 'scale images', which seems the right function. But whatever happens thereafter is not so straightforward and requires some further understanding. E.g. how to set it to 800x600 or how to enable this for a specific folder. The only folder I seem to be able to configure is the target-folder.

Finally, Imagscripts is a very interesting app, I like all the effects I can apply to a picture. Yet I didn't see the batch-resize option which I was looking for. Perhaps I missed it. Thanks anyway, as I'll be playing with this app for a while. :)

Applespider

macrumors G4
Have a hunt round some old Automator threads - there's one where I know I spelled out how to do this there and make it less scary.

You can create an Automator plugin for Finder which means that you can select those image files anywhere in Finder, right click for your Automator action and then tell it what resolution you want and it will go off and do it for you. It's useful when you don't want to have to put the pictures into iPhoto although I find it doesn't reduce the file size as well as something like Photoshop will.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.