PDA

View Full Version : PowerMac 7500 & multitrack recording?

teebee020
Feb 15, 2006, 06:21 AM
Hi.

Recently someone provided me with a PowerMac 7500/100.
Being a total MAC-stranger, I wonder if this machine gives me the ability of doing multitrack recording at home.

If not, what options do I have with the 7500 (upgrade?) to use it as an additional recording device?

Thanks in advance.

Tom

Patmian212
Feb 15, 2006, 10:39 AM
Hi.

Recently someone provided me with a PowerMac 7500/100.
Being a total MAC-stranger, I wonder if this machine gives me the ability of doing multitrack recording at home.

If not, what options do I have with the 7500 (upgrade?) to use it as an additional recording device?

Thanks in advance.

Tom
If you are interested I can sell you a 233Mhz 604e processor upgrade.

GimmeSlack12
Feb 15, 2006, 04:52 PM
It depends on what software and what OS you are planning on using on that machine. Cause your options are quite limited.

Running OS 8.6 is probably the top OS you can use. OS 9.2.2 if you can. But even Patmian's offer for the 233mhz upgrade card might not be enough. I know you can get 604e upgrade cards. But in the end I say you are better off buying a Mac Mini. Cause the resources and money might add up past $200.

I'm pretty sure I could get a workable system built off the 7500/100, but if you are a new Mac user the amount of knowledge will take you some time.

OldCorpse
Feb 15, 2006, 05:49 PM
To really upgrade will cost you 1) time 2) effort 3) money. You'll have to locate the components, you'll have to buy them, and you'll have to install them. And it'll never be all that, even when you're done. How much RAM do you have? All that upgrading can cost a pretty penny.

GimmieSlack12 is spot on. It's infinitely easier to get a mini for not much more, and you end up with a heck of a better system that actually runs the latest Tiger, you'll get free iLife06 (with Garageband 3!) and a whole bunch of software plus a year warranty. Or, you can go for a used mini for less money (and maybe no warranty). I suspect a used mini could actually be cheaper than upgrading your system, and if you get lucky, you might snag one with a bit more RAM installed.

I just don't see how it makes any sense to try to upgrade what you have - it won't be cheaper, the end result will be worse, and it'll be a lot of trouble. All IMHO. YMMV.

zimv20
Feb 15, 2006, 07:41 PM
I wonder if this machine gives me the ability of doing multitrack recording at home.
yes, it has that ability. apple introduced that machine, what, in the mid-90's, right? protools (nee soundtools) has been around since '87.

now, the question is: is it practical? can you even find a Pro Tools III system to install? if so, the s/w would be old and the entire system would pale in comparison to what you could get today for not much money.

i'm with the others -- get something more modern.

Patmian212
Feb 16, 2006, 05:49 AM
I just noticed I can also sell you RAM and Vram for this system, cheap of course.

EDIT: BTW the processor is 604e not 603e

DonovanBomb
Feb 19, 2006, 12:39 PM
I was in that same possition- Basically you have a cheap Mac, or in my case looking for a cheap Mac, for home recording. It sucks because anyone will tell you to go and drop lots of money on a nice computer but in the end its still only gonna be used to have fun with and nothing professional.

A Mac Mini would be cool but what I did was buy an older laptop and got the added benifits of being a portable all-in-one package.

OldCorpse
Feb 19, 2006, 09:30 PM
I was in that same possition- Basically you have a cheap Mac, or in my case looking for a cheap Mac, for home recording. It sucks because anyone will tell you to go and drop lots of money on a nice computer but in the end its still only gonna be used to have fun with and nothing professional.

A Mac Mini would be cool but what I did was buy an older laptop and got the added benifits of being a portable all-in-one package.

I agree with you. If I had the $, I'd buy top of the line macs... except right now is very poor timing (none of the pro audio apps are available for the intel chip). Regardless, I think you are right... which is why I bought my iBook (see sig)... is it perfect for FCP and LE? Nope. But is it doable? Yep. I've done it, and I'm doing it. Now my iBook gets lots of use - I use it for everything one would use a computer for... obviously with extra $, I'd have a system dedicated to just a DAW, but I can't spare that kinda cash at the moment.