PDA

View Full Version : WTB: First Generation iPod

livingfortoday
Feb 15, 2006, 09:07 AM
As the title says, I'm looking to buy a first gen iPod. I don't really want to spend a lot, so take that in to account in any offers you make. I'd prefer if the front was in decent condition still, but the back can be scratched up, that doesn't matter as much to me.

PM me or post here.

mrgreen4242
Feb 15, 2006, 09:43 AM
As the title says, I'm looking to buy a first gen iPod. I don't really want to spend a lot, so take that in to account in any offers you make. I'd prefer if the front was in decent condition still, but the back can be scratched up, that doesn't matter as much to me.

PM me or post here.

You should check eBay... 5gb 1G's sell for $75 to $150 dependig on condition, etc. Personally, I don't know why people would sell them at this point. Seems like they could only get more valuable now.

livingfortoday
Feb 15, 2006, 09:51 AM
You should check eBay... 5gb 1G's sell for $75 to $150 dependig on condition, etc. Personally, I don't know why people would sell them at this point. Seems like they could only get more valuable now.

Yeah, I'm kinda doing both at this point - checking eBay and asking here. I just figured people here would take better care of their iPods, and be less likely to misrepresent them. I'm also hoping to spend under $100, and with eBay it's kind of luck of the draw as to what the auction closes at.

Sdashiki
Feb 15, 2006, 10:38 AM
but they use batteries they become physically incapable of holding a charge.

and you have to autopsy the beast to put a new battery, assuming you can find one, in it.

iPods do have a definitive "lifespan" before you pretty much just toss them.

buying an old one for a useful purpose, is kinda stoopid.

QCassidy352
Feb 15, 2006, 10:56 AM
but they use batteries they become physically incapable of holding a charge.

and you have to autopsy the beast to put a new battery, assuming you can find one, in it.

iPods do have a definitive "lifespan" before you pretty much just toss them.

buying an old one for a useful purpose, is kinda stoopid.

I replaced the battery on my 1G ipod. It was easy, and I don't have much experience with hardware work. If you really love your 1G, it's quite possible to keep it going.

Sdashiki
Feb 15, 2006, 11:31 AM
I replaced the battery on my 1G ipod. It was easy, and I don't have much experience with hardware work. If you really love your 1G, it's quite possible to keep it going.

true, ill note that from now on.

maybe let others hear know where you got a new battery from?

rikers_mailbox
Feb 15, 2006, 11:49 AM
maybe let others hear know where you got a new battery from?

Place called FastMac (http://www.fastmac.com/) carries good replacement batteries for 1-3 gen iPods. Comes with all the tools/instructions necessary for DIY replacement

Sdashiki
Feb 15, 2006, 11:51 AM
sweet, maybe I wont unload my Mini when I get my Carputer.

livingfortoday
Feb 15, 2006, 12:34 PM
Dang, I saw the 7 replies and thought I had a bunch of offers... guess not. Yeah, I'm not too worried about battery charge, as long as it's at least an hour or two. At the least. I mainly want this to use as a firewire boot drive in emergencies as well as a portable music player. Plus, I like the way they look.

Sooo... anyone have one they'd be willing to part with?

williamw
Feb 15, 2006, 12:54 PM
I have one...not sure if i want to sell it, maybe if you made an offer...

william@williamwilkinson.com

PS - if any mods are reading, my post count hasnt moved at all for like a month now, its been reading as 39 post, and ive done at least 30 new posts!
EDIT - i just counted my posts (by using the find all posts)and i have 55 but it reads on main page as 39

livingfortoday
Feb 15, 2006, 03:19 PM
Well, I emailed you, but really don't know what you're looking for. I'd much rather people just post up what they're looking to get for their iPods, and maybe a photo or two? Eh? Eh? Anyone?