PDA

View Full Version : My iBook is dead. Won't startup and screen is black. I need help!

GreyFox1221
Feb 15, 2006, 08:48 PM
So heres what happened. The iBooks screen is black now when I try to start it up but when i hook it up to an external monitor i can see the white startup screen but no apple logo or little spinning wheel.
The real kicker is that I can't run the Mac OSX disc. It's not my laptop (its and afterschool program's laptop. I didn't break it, my friend did so im trying to help him out) My Mac OSX disc is on a DVD and this iBook doesn't have a DVD Reader!:eek:

calebjohnston
Feb 15, 2006, 09:08 PM
For a fee, Apple will send you the OS on cd's instead of a dvd. That's all I know about it however.

Laser47
Feb 15, 2006, 09:13 PM
So heres what happened. The iBooks screen is black now when I try to start it up but when i hook it up to an external monitor i can see the white startup screen but no apple logo or little spinning wheel.
The real kicker is that I can't run the Mac OSX disc. It's not my laptop (its and afterschool program's laptop. I didn't break it, my friend did so im trying to help him out) My Mac OSX disc is on a DVD and this iBook doesn't have a DVD Reader!:eek:
So you hear the startup sound, its a diagnostic notification.
Also if you have a FW cable and a Mac with a dvd burner you can put the ibook in target disk mode and the start the other computer off the cd and choose to install the os on the ibook.
Also have you tried resetting the Pram, NVram and PMU?.

GreyFox1221
Feb 16, 2006, 06:47 AM
I never hear the startup sound but I do hear the fans start up.

GimmeSlack12
Feb 16, 2006, 06:59 AM
What did your friend do to 'break it'? Cause you aren't giving much to go on here. How old is the iBook? I'm assuming no DVD player means its a G3 iBook. Zapping the PRAM might do the trick (Command-Option-P-R) at startup. Can you get it going with a Mac OS Classic CD? Just getting it started up is essential.