Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

notjustjay

macrumors 603
Original poster
Sep 19, 2003
Canada, eh?
Consider this snippet:

int main(void)
{
int n = 0;
n=(++n) + (++n);
cout << n << endl;
}

To me, the result of this is clearly going to be 3. Indeed, when I try it, that is the answer I get.

However, my friend claims he consistently gets 4, and is therefore quite confused (as am I). I trust my friend, so I want to put it out to see what others get.

(Edit: My friend showed me, and indeed, the very same code on his machine does produce 4. He's using g++ 3.3.4 while I had 3.3.)

Does anyone else get any circumstance in which this does not return 3? And if so, any ideas why it would do so?

jsw

Moderator emeritus
Mar 16, 2004
Andover, MA
mwpeters8182 said:
You'll get 4 here.

You're basically saying

x = 0;
x = x+1; (x = 1);
x = x + 1; (x = 2);
x = x + x; (x = 4)
I think it's a compiler bug. The first ++n should have been stored as a result before the second ++n was evaluated.

notjustjay

macrumors 603
Original poster
Sep 19, 2003
Canada, eh?
Yeah, I can see the reasons why it could be one or the other. If the pre-increment expressions are both operated on before the final addition, sure you get 4. If the expressions are evaluated as-you-go, left-to-right, then you get 3.

I guess the question is, is this a bug, or a matter of preference (by the compiler)? Seems like it could have pretty serious implications if it's so easy to invoke.

My compiler here at work also says 3, as does Java.

mwpeters8182

macrumors 6502
Apr 16, 2003
Boston, MA
I got 4 when I used my Powerbook here, as well as my linux machine (which doesn't really suprise me, as they're most likely using the same GCC.

MP

jsw

Moderator emeritus
Mar 16, 2004
Andover, MA
mwpeters8182 said:
I got 4 when I used my Powerbook here, as well as my linux machine (which doesn't really suprise me, as they're most likely using the same GCC.

MP
Shared bug then, I think, because what the code should be saying is:

x = 0;
x' = x+1; (x' = 1)
x" = x' + 1; (x" = 2)
x = x' + x"; (x = 3)

The fact that it's considering the two "(++n)"'s as a single variable and evaluating them serially (n=1, then n=2), then adding them as though they're the same (n=2), means it's a bug.

zimv20

macrumors 601
Jul 18, 2002
toronto
afaik, this is an undefined expression in the c++ language because the order of the evaulation of expressions is undefined.

therefore, neither compiler result is right or wrong, because the result is simply a product of its implemenation of that undefined expression.

i hope that, IRL, no one's coding like that.

superbovine

macrumors 68030
Nov 7, 2003
snicker...

Code:
#include <iostream>

using namespace std;

int main(void)
{
int n = 0;
int y1, y2, y0;

y1 = y2 = y0 = 0;

n=(++n) + (++n);
cout << "n:  " << n << endl;

y1=(++y1);
cout << "y1:  " << y1 << endl;
y2=(++y1);
cout << "y2:  " << y2 << "  y1:  " << y1 << endl; 
y0 = y1 + y2;
cout << "y0:  " << y0 << endl;
}

output
Code:
n:  4
y1:  1
y2:  2  y1:  2
y0:  4

this might clear this up...It isn't a bug.

Think about writing the code in assembly, if you try to write it out your'll get 4.

mwpeters8182

macrumors 6502
Apr 16, 2003
Boston, MA
zimv20 said:
afaik, this is an undefined expression in the c++ language because the order of the evaulation of expressions is undefined.

therefore, neither compiler result is right or wrong, because the result is simply a product of its implemenation of that undefined expression.

That's true, that's really ugly code. How did this come up?

notjustjay

macrumors 603
Original poster
Sep 19, 2003
Canada, eh?
mwpeters8182 said:
That's true, that's really ugly code. How did this come up?

My friend said he and his friend were playing around, so it was probably a contrived example to begin with. He found it interesting that the two of them were getting different answers.

When I read the code in my head I see 3 (i.e. the x= x' + x'' logic that jsw wrote out above), and that is indeed what my compilers give me, so it confused me as well.

I suppose the true proof is to see the assembly code generated and verify that it is indeed translating the compound statement into

++n;
++n;
n = n + n;

irrªtiºnal

macrumors member
Dec 15, 2005
Toronto
notjustjay said:
Consider this snippet:

int main(void)
{
int n = 0;
n=(++n) + (++n);
cout << n << endl;
}

To me, the result of this is clearly going to be 3. Indeed, when I try it, that is the answer I get.

However, my friend claims he consistently gets 4, and is therefore quite confused (as am I). I trust my friend, so I want to put it out to see what others get.

(Edit: My friend showed me, and indeed, the very same code on his machine does produce 4. He's using g++ 3.3.4 while I had 3.3.)

Does anyone else get any circumstance in which this does not return 3? And if so, any ideas why it would do so?

ok, let;s be serious

What's the value of i++ + i++?

by Bjarne Stroustrup himslef...

it also addresses the issues of

v = i++;

and

f(v,i++);

:D

jsw

Moderator emeritus
Mar 16, 2004
Andover, MA
irrªtiºnal said:
ok, let;s be serious

by Bjarne Stroustrup himself
To quote:

It's undefined. Basically, in C and C++, if you read a variable twice in an expression where you also write it, the result is undefined. Don't do that. Another example is:
v = i++;
Related example:
f(v,i++);
Here, the result is undefined because the order of evaluation of function arguments are undefined.
Having the order of evaluation undefined is claimed to yield better performing code. Compilers could warn about such examples, which are typically subtle bugs (or potential subtle bugs). I'm disappointed that after decades, most compilers still don't warn, leaving that job to specialized, separate, and underused tools.

The important part is the "don't do that"....

MacDonaldsd

macrumors 65816
Sep 8, 2005
London , UK
notjustjay said:
Consider this snippet:

int main(void)
{
int n = 0;
n=(++n) + (++n);
cout << n << endl;
}

Its more than likely because you put ++n rather n++ , that maybe why your getting a different value
and It is 3

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
a clear example in nonclearity

I think 3 is correct. But seeing as this is clearly not clear it serves as an example of very poor code. Code should always be clearly writen. pre-iincrements are never easy to understand and all they save is a few characters of typing. Years ago they hinted to the compiler to use some special increment instruction but optimizes are better now.

mwpeters8182

macrumors 6502
Apr 16, 2003
Boston, MA
Fantastic site -- Not that I'm the best programmer, as I'm usually just patching something together to run through data for myself. Even then, my code doesn't look like that.

MarkCollette

macrumors 68000
Mar 6, 2003
Toronto, Canada
zimv20 said:

Yes, this is the correct answer. In C/C++, you cannot refer to an autoincremented variabled in the same statement, as that's undefined.

Basically, if we break down what i = ++i means, in assembler, we get:

INCREMENT MemLocation i
STORE MemLocation i -> MemLocation i

Sounds straightforward, right? Well, most RISC platforms cannot operate on values in memory, but can only do so in registers. So, we have:

LOAD MemLocation i -> Register Rx
INCREMENT Rx
STORE Register Rx -> MemLocation i // Keep Rx, i in sync
STORE Register Rx -> MemLocation i // Do i = ...

In both cases there's a redundant STORE , but maybe an optimising compiler could take away the second STORE.

Now, let's look at i = ++i + ++i. Preincrement takes precedence over addition. Also, in this specific case, right to left, or left to right, would not make a difference, but would with a different expression.

So a parse tree would be built like this:

Code:
           =
          /  \
         i    +
             / \
         pre++  pre++
           |      |
           i      i

We could write that parse tree as (let me build it in steps) the following. Assume arguments are evaluated left to right:

assignTo( "++i + ++i", i )
assignTo( add("++i", "++i"), i )
assignTo( add( preInc(i), preInc(i) ), i )

Because the C/C++ language(s) do not define this any further, it all comes down to compiler implementation. So, we're left with a bunch of questions:

1. Does each call to preInc(i) load i from memory? Or is it preloaded once, and used repeatedly, in a register, or is it lazily loaded on demand?

2. If preInc loads i into a register, does it save that register back into the memory location i right away?

So, a simplistic execution of the tree would yield, using lazy evaluation of i:

// 1st preInc
INCREMENT Rx

// 2nd preInc
LOAD MemLocation i -> Register Ry
INCREMENT Ry
STORE Register Ry -> MemLocation i // Keep Ry, i in sync

ADD Rx,Ry,Rz
STORE Register Rz -> MemLocation i
// i = 3

Here's an optimised version, with preloading and sharing of i:

// 1st preInc
INCREMENT Rx

// 2nd preInc
INCREMENT Rx

ADD Rx,Rx,Rz
STORE Register Rz -> MemLocation i
// i = 4

The core of the problem is that when you use ++i or i++ inside of an expression, you're saying, I want to to modify i and pass the value to another part of the expression. Is i in RAM, or a register? Does the other part of the expression go back to i or just use it in the working register?

Or do we just say, do whatever's fastest on my architecture, with full optimisation:

// i is only a register, no RAM
// i = 0;
// i = ++i + ++i;
CLR Rx
INC Rx
INC Rx
ADD Rx,Rx,Rx
// i=4

mwpeters8182

macrumors 6502
Apr 16, 2003
Boston, MA
Thanks for the detailed analysis. I'm not a computer scientist by trade, so I don't really know assembly and whatnot. Good to know, thanks again for breaking it down for us.

MarkCollette

macrumors 68000
Mar 6, 2003
Toronto, Canada
Thanks guys.

I posted that because I wanted to show how certain programming problems are caused by limitations of how computers work, under the covers, such as this issue of synchronising variables in RAM and registers. This is also the root cause of why accessing variables in multiples threads is unsafe, and so is actually an important issue.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.