PDA

View Full Version : iBook G4 can't insert CDs anymore

nicuma
Feb 15, 2006, 10:39 PM
I had trouble with the cdrom drive a week ago but that was only 1 incident where i think i pushed the cd in too fast. When ejecting the cd after watching a video, the cd got stuck sumhow halfway out so i yanked it out. a piece of foam which i think is from the slot(so cds wont scratch) came off and it was sticky n all that. from there on i was careful not to stick cds in too quickly. It was fine until today where I just cant stick a cd in. And i was using it just about a few minutes ago installing various programs.

Any insight or do i just have to service it? The cd just wont go in even if i give it a bit if push....well i tried forcing it in at one point but it wouldnt budge :P

any ideas?

TLRedhawke
Feb 15, 2006, 11:12 PM
It's either one of two things.

A) The felt strip along the opening of the drive (not the stuff on the slot in the bezel) needs to be scraped off, as it's causing discs to not get inserted.

B) You need to replace the drive.

mad jew
Feb 15, 2006, 11:23 PM
You sure there's no disk in there already? Does pressing the EJECT key make funny noises come from the optical drive, like it thinks there's a disk in there trying to eject? :)

calebjohnston
Feb 15, 2006, 11:26 PM
I'm with mad jew on this one, I don't see how felt being loose would stop a cd from going in?

Maybe you got a CD stuck in there and... forgot? =)

If not, maybe try calling appledoodle. See what the homies say.

xsedrinam
Feb 15, 2006, 11:28 PM
There could be more than a couple of things, among them resetting the PMU. Check out this link on Troubleshooting CD/DVD insert (http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=88275)
Good luck.

nicuma
Feb 16, 2006, 05:02 AM
I would pretty much remember if there was a cd in it since i was using it minutes before.....i was installing iLife 06 and wanted to install Reason 3.0 but it just would slot in... so yeah...from minutes of using it at ease it just doesnt want to eat my cds! :P

Bummer....looks like i gotta wait till I fly back to perth for now....

mad jew
Feb 16, 2006, 09:53 AM
But does the computer think there's a CD in there? When you press EJECT, does it make the usual noises like it's trying to eject? :)

nicuma
Feb 16, 2006, 10:00 AM
nope...so it knows its empty....but it just wont suck the cd in....i went over to an authorized reseller earlier in the day n he has never come across an incident like this. damn.....y do i have to be the first case for him!!! looks like i wont be having the iBook for a while if it requires to be put to surgery...:p

TLRedhawke
Feb 16, 2006, 10:07 AM
I've actually come across the issue with the felt on a number of occasions. I can't recall the precise explanation behind it, but nevertheless, slicing away that felt often fixes the uninsertable disc issue.

calebjohnston
Feb 16, 2006, 10:45 AM
Maybe there's some kind of sensor stopping it from working if there is another object in the path of the cd/drive? Who knows. Ditch the felt homie!

nicuma
Feb 18, 2006, 10:32 AM
How exactly do i slice the felt? i prefer if i was told step by step on slicing the felt away....plus izzit recommended? would there is any issues with cds scratching or dust buildup?

nicuma
Feb 19, 2006, 10:58 AM
It's alrite already! Definitely something was blocking cds from goin in....all i did was stick in a piece of card in and 'cleared' the way so to say.... cds fit in n it works, i dont know if there's gonna be any problems with it but so far its ok and im happy :D

thanks for all the suggestions and all gentlemen (or ladies)

------------------
"where's the 'Start' button again?"