Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacDonaldsd

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 8, 2005
London , UK
If I buy a domain off godaddy.com how would I link it to my .mac account.
Basically I want a .com address for my .mac account

aricher

macrumors 68020
Feb 20, 2004
Chi-il
Specifically for GoDaddy:

1. Go to "My Account"
2. Click on "Manage Domain Forwarding"
3. If you have more than one domain click on the one you want to work with.
4. On the right side of the screen there is a blank box field that says, "forward to." Put your .mac url in this field.
5. Under the forward field you have the option to mask your URL, add a masked title, masked description meta tag and a masked keyword meta tag. You don't have to mask your account and most people frown upon it.

zim

macrumors 65816
Jan 5, 2002
aricher said:
You don't have to mask your account and most people frown upon it.

:( this is true. way way way back when i first started out i had my site masked by a forwarded url and it was fine when everything i did was Flash but now i find that the mask is completely annoying and understand why some of my viewers got upset (couldn't bookmark individual pages is the largest complaint). so i no longer mask in part due to my viewers and also because i am an anti frames type of guy.

whooleytoo

macrumors 604
Aug 2, 2002
Cork, Ireland.
MacDonaldsd said:
If I buy a domain off godaddy.com how would I link it to my .mac account.
Basically I want a .com address for my .mac account

I'm sure you're aware, but the bandwidth you get with a .mac account is pretty low, so if you're expecting a lot of traffic, best look elsewhere.

whooleytoo

macrumors 604
Aug 2, 2002
Cork, Ireland.
MacDonaldsd said:
Hate to sound dumb.

But can someone explain traffic in real terms, I get what it is but what does it equate to.

It just means the number of people you expect to view your site, which obviously depends completely on what you're putting in it, and how you advertise it. Since the html page, plus all the images in it are going to be sent from the .mac servers to those people viewing your site; the more people that view your site the sooner your .mac limit will be reached.

If you're just putting up a site that friends and/or family will view, it's not an issue. If you're hoping to attract hundreds of viewers, it might be.

jsw

Moderator emeritus
Mar 16, 2004
Andover, MA
whooleytoo said:
I'm sure you're aware, but the bandwidth you get with a .mac account is pretty low, so if you're expecting a lot of traffic, best look elsewhere.
It's 10GB/month (actually, 5GB per half-month), which isn't fantastic but might be more than enough for MacDonaldsd.

Of course, this begs the question as to why you don't just host on Go Daddy or elsewhere (DreamHost.com is pretty cheap if uptime isn't of paramount importance to you).

munkle

macrumors 68030
Aug 7, 2004
On a jet plane
Everytime somebody visits your site, they download bits of data to make the site display on their browser.

Traffic is basically the number of visitors you get to your site. The more visitors, the more things get downloaded, consequently the more bandwidth you use. Of course, a lot depends on how "heavy" your site is. A site with lots of graphics and embedded movie files will churn through bandwidth a lot quicker than a simple site consisting of mainly text.

To be honest unless you're expecting visitors into the thousands, or are planning to host lots of very large movie files etc, bandwidth shouldn't really be an issue.

aricher

macrumors 68020
Feb 20, 2004
Chi-il
I remember reading somewhere a few months or so ago that Apple was going to start upping the bandwidth for .mac sites that they "deemed worthy" of higher bandwidth. What that means I don't really know. I'm going to have to dig around to find the original article.

jsw

Moderator emeritus
Mar 16, 2004
Andover, MA
MacDonaldsd said:
what happens if I dont want to renew it after a year ?
You'll lose the hosting and the disk space. Be sure to move your files elsewhere before then. Note that, if you've registered a domain name, you can host that name elsewhere later on.

MacDonaldsd

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 8, 2005
London , UK
jsw said:
You'll lose the hosting and the disk space. Be sure to move your files elsewhere before then. Note that, if you've registered a domain name, you can host that name elsewhere later on.

so basically if i dont renew it after the year I still own the name, so in the future I could use it else were ?

jsw

Moderator emeritus
Mar 16, 2004
Andover, MA
MacDonaldsd said:
so basically if i dont renew it after the year I still own the name, so in the future I could use it else were ?
Well, yes, but you need to continue to pay to register the name - registering a domain name can be done through many places, isn't that expensive, and lasts for a year or more (depending on who registers it for you). Hosting is entirely different, but most (or all?) hosting sites will also register a domain name for you.

If you forget to re-register it when it expires, someone else could grab it from you.

theappleguy

macrumors 6502
Apr 19, 2005
The other thing is that you can't host a domain with .Mac, so if your aren't happy with an masked re-direct then you should look at regular hosting. :)

liketom

macrumors 601
Apr 8, 2004
Lincoln,UK
aricher said:
I remember reading somewhere a few months or so ago that Apple was going to start upping the bandwidth for .mac sites that they "deemed worthy" of higher bandwidth. What that means I don't really know. I'm going to have to dig around to find the original article.
blimey and i paid for the upgraded 4gb 250gb bandwidth as well

should of just kept it as it was :) might of got away with it :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.