PDA

View Full Version : MacBook Pro: What's up with bumping the speed when Apple ca...

MacBytes
Feb 16, 2006, 12:06 PM
http://www.macbytes.com/images/bytessig.gif (http://www.macbytes.com)

Category: Opinion/Interviews
Link: MacBook Pro: What's up with bumping the speed when Apple can't even meet demand? (http://www.macbytes.com/link.php?sid=20060216130606)
Description:: More speed for the same price is nice, but why not concentrate on meeting demand first? And what's with that $300 premium for the 2.16 GHz model?

Posted on MacBytes.com (http://www.macbytes.com)
Approved by Mudbug

Some_Big_Spoon
Feb 16, 2006, 12:27 PM
This is classic Apple. The apologists say it's everyone that does this, or that it's a new product.. whatever. It's a fumble that Apple seems comfortable making on nearly every release.

I'll still buy their stuff because the alternatives are crap, but as a person that gives them roughly $10K a year, I feel like I have the right to bitch about this.

rogueimage
Feb 16, 2006, 12:55 PM
This is classic Apple. The apologists say it's everyone that does this, or that it's a new product.. whatever. It's a fumble that Apple seems comfortable making on nearly every release.

I'll still buy their stuff because the alternatives are crap, but as a person that gives them roughly $10K a year, I feel like I have the right to bitch about this.

I'm not sure I understand what you're complaining about. My understanding is that Apple automatically bumped all the preorders of MacBooks up to the new, faster processors, and they're still supposed to start shipping in the next few days. If I had ordered one when they first hit the store, I would be getting it quite soon, which meets their promise from the beginning (that is, "shipping in February").

For people just placing an order now, yes, they have to wait a few weeks, but I see no evidence that that's because of the speed bump. Every time Apple introduces a new product, there's a bit of a wait for the early adopters as manufacturing of the parts and the whole gets up to speed. The only alternative would be to guess at the demand, build a huge stockpile, and then announce the product. This creates an inventory level that is much too high, however, and risks overstock of the less popular configurations, to say nothing of custom configurations. It would also mean that Apple couldn't announce things as soon as the technology becomes available (e.g. the Yonah chips). Since every other company announces products before shipping them, Apple wouldn't look very competitive if they waited.

In short, it's not a fumble, it's a reality of brand-new products. Supply is short for a while. If I order one as soon as they're available, I won't get it right now, but I will get it before the people that wait for the estimated ship date to read "24 hours", when manufacturing is running full steam and the processors are streaming out of Intel's fabs at full capacity.

NNO-Stephen
Feb 16, 2006, 01:36 PM
I can't believe people bitching about a free extra 160Mhz, and an option to get another 160 beyond what is standard. good god!

and as to the articles author wondering why 300 bucks for the extra 160Mhz OPTION, I sent him an e-mail showing him exactly why.

T2600 (2M L2 cache 2.16 GHz 667 MHz FSB 65nm) - $637

T2500 (2M L2 cache 2 GHz 667 MHz FSB 65nm) - $423

T2400 (2M L2 cache 1.83 GHz 667 MHz FSB 65nm) - $294

T2300 (2M L2 cache 1.66 GHz 667 MHz FSB 65nm) - $241

those are the prices for the CPUs. perhaps an extra $214 bucks for the 2.16 from the 2.0 should just be eaten by Apple after they already bumped them to a CPU that costs more than 100$ more than what originally was ordered... oh yeah, real raw deal here, lets all just throw a big ****ing pity party.

bigandy
Feb 16, 2006, 01:52 PM
this is complete bol*ocks.

how can they not be keeping up with demand when they announced they'd only ship them mid february!!!

dashiel
Feb 16, 2006, 01:54 PM

in this case it is.

as far as i know no one is shipping dual core laptops. in fact some of the PC makers were pissed that apple was shipping dual core imacs when they had no dual core chips at all.

fwiw dell reports a feb 24 ship date for their dual core.

cube
Feb 16, 2006, 03:10 PM
Lame article. Who said the low end chips are easier to come by than the higher end ones? Why would Apple be doing this otherwise?

cwtnospam
Feb 16, 2006, 05:36 PM
Lame article. Who said the low end chips are easier to come by than the higher end ones? Why would Apple be doing this otherwise?
They're doing it because they don't want to be seen shipping slower duo cores than some PC maker.

NNO-Stephen
Feb 16, 2006, 06:11 PM
They're doing it because they don't want to be seen shipping slower duo cores than some PC maker.
probably, but that doesn't take away from the fact that this is good news for Mac users whereas this bonehead writer would have you believe it's the most terrible thing EVER.

jer2eydevil88
Feb 16, 2006, 06:44 PM
I hope I get my macbook before April....

Maybe the April 1rst celebration will be an announcement that the Macbooks are shipping out that day and that Apple will be selling the Mac Pro's (Powermac Replacements) which won't actually ship untill June.

virus1
Feb 16, 2006, 06:52 PM
ya this is really one big ******* up on apples part... what *******s! apple is such a terrible company.. seriously.. how could they be so mean to ship back shipping by a few days (still on thier origional schedule, i might add) for a free speed bump?

its ridiculous! they are bumping the speed on thier systems! for FREE! this is why i hate apple so much!

and i can't believe anyone would pay a few hundred dollars more (3 to be specific) to make thier mac PORTABLE be the current fastest model. who in thier right minds would pay more money for a faster computer?

some people these days can be such idiots.. there should be a macbytes stupidity limit.

sjk
Feb 18, 2006, 01:55 PM
oh yeah, real raw deal here, lets all just throw a big ****ing pity party.Yeah, pity party for people who can't find something positive to do with their time instead of getting overtly frustrated, angry, etc. on forums like this about maybe waiting a few extra weeks for their computers to arrive.

All the fussing can't resolve Apple's inept product delivery timing, whatever the reasons actually are. Nice to imagine they'd be honestly open about the cause of delays and have ways to compensate every customer during that time. Of course competitive corporations rarely operate that generously.

It's true Apple often fails to adequately handle the pressures of market demand. And it's reasonable they be held accountable (somehow) when they don't meet promised deadlines. This time, the CPU speed bump is enough compensation for the shipping delays to satisfy some people, whether or not it's Apple intention. Others don't care about that; just getting the original pre-ordered system when it was promised is the issue. Is there any way to compensate for that failure?

Does anyone sincerely believe Apple has intentionally created a conspiracy, telling us they'll ship mid-February (or whenever it is/was, I dunno anymore) while knowingly planning to do otherwise? Some of the public haranguing over this makes me wonder.

Seems to me part of the problem of responsibility here lies somewhere between Apple promising too much and certain customers expecting and demanding too much. It's easy to put all the blame Apple but I don't think it's that simple. Even their most well-prepared plans, leveraging prior experience and familiarity, aren't enough to accurately predicate and sufficiently prepare for everything that might go wrong during complex dynamic processes. Individual customers, on the other hand, have more direct and immediate control over their product-purchasing choices.

Maybe Apple doesn't deserve business from the kind of people who need to rely on the company's ability to consistently meet certain customer expectations. My relationship with Apple has generally been positive up to now but there's a point where changes in attitude would push me to consider alternatives.

gekko513
Feb 19, 2006, 04:35 PM
Who says the processors are the parts the MacBooks were waiting for?

The iMac has been shipping with Core Duo processors for some time already. It could be the chipset or any other component that the MacBook doesn't share with the iMac.

CanadaRAM
Feb 19, 2006, 04:45 PM
Why do some malcontented individuals persist in administering oral examinations to equine gratuities?