PDA

View Full Version : SJ: "People want the Superdrive."


Shrek
Jan 20, 2003, 09:21 PM
I remember Steve Jobs saying back in MWNY '02 that "people want the Superdrive," that "the ability to burn DVDs is a very cool thing." And ironically, when he said this he was referring to the iMacs, saying that "buying an iMac with a DVD-burner is one of the cheapest ways to burn your own DVDs." Though now I can't access the live stream of MWNY '02 because it seems Apple has removed it from the site. Does anyone remember him saying this?

The point is, I wouldn't be surprised if there is a Superdrive in every model of the next generation of iMacs. :)

arn
Jan 20, 2003, 09:24 PM
Originally posted by Shrek

The point is, I wouldn't be surprised if there is a Superdrive in every model of the next generation of iMacs. :)

Um.... I'd say not.

There isn't even a Combo drive in the low end iMac... you think they'll drop a Superdrive in it?

arn

Shrek
Jan 20, 2003, 09:26 PM
Originally posted by arn


Um.... I'd say not.

There isn't even a Combo drive in the low end iMac... you think they'll drop a Superdrive in it?

arn

Hey, if SJ said it I believe it. :D

arn
Jan 20, 2003, 09:28 PM
Originally posted by Shrek


Hey, if SJ said it I believe it. :D

but he didn't say it (superdrive in every iMac). :)

arn

Shrek
Jan 20, 2003, 09:29 PM
Originally posted by arn


but he didn't say it (superdrive in every iMac). :)

arn

Well, no, but he hinted at it. ;)

Freg3000
Jan 20, 2003, 09:36 PM
This is like an instant message conversation . . .
I'd be very surprised if the next rev. of the iMac's had Superdrives in all the models.

cubist
Jan 20, 2003, 09:38 PM
I have 7 macs, but only 4 of them have Superdrives: the 8100, the Umax c600, the IIci, and the Classic II.;)

beez7777
Jan 20, 2003, 09:39 PM
i don't think that they'll do that. perhaps the option for a superdrive in every model, but i think that a lot of people don't need it and would rather save money than have the ablity to burn DVDs. I have a 17" iMac, and in the 6 months i've had it, the only DVD i used was a backup before i reformatted. until superdrives become as cheap as cd-rw drives, its just not practical to throw them in standard in every model, seems like kind of a waste.

Shrek
Jan 20, 2003, 09:41 PM
Originally posted by beez7777
i don't think that they'll do that. perhaps the option for a superdrive in every model, but i think that a lot of people don't need it and would rather save money than have the ablity to burn DVDs. I have a 17" iMac, and in the 6 months i've had it, the only DVD i used was a backup before i reformatted. until superdrives become as cheap as cd-rw drives, its just not practical to throw them in standard in every model, seems like kind of a waste.

You forget that DVDs are great for storing digital camera photos and digital camcorder movies. :)

iJon
Jan 20, 2003, 10:17 PM
Originally posted by Shrek


You forget that DVDs are great for storing digital camera photos and digital camcorder movies. :)
you would be surprised how many customers i get who could give a rats a** about the dvd burner. the superdrive just drives up the cost of the imac. I would not expect this to happen. I think Steve is getting more at equipping at least every mac with a DVD-ROM. He wants this because he wants people to be able to view dvds they mad with his magical software on any mac. I would bet next revisions, all iMacs(besides the dinky g3 one) to have at least a DVD-ROM. I would say, bottom two - combo drives. two high ends - superdrive. I would like apple to have the option of have the 17 or the 15 with the option of a superdrive or a combo, let the user have a little bit more selection with what they want.

iJon

beez7777
Jan 20, 2003, 10:19 PM
true, but i still think that superdrives are too expensive right now, but maybe a few months down the road they will allow the option for superdrives in all models. i just think that the price of them isnt worth the use that the average consumer will get out of them. once again, i can see the option for superdrives, but they will definitely not come standard for wuite some time.

Shrek
Jan 20, 2003, 10:23 PM
have faith.

Over Achiever
Jan 20, 2003, 10:30 PM
First combo drives have to be standard across the line first...apple still offers CD-ROM drives as an option.

Look at the sub-$1000 iBook...the CD option is there for a reason.

iJon
Jan 20, 2003, 10:36 PM
Originally posted by Over Achiever
First combo drives have to be standard across the line first...apple still offers CD-ROM drives as an option.

Look at the sub-$1000 iBook...the CD option is there for a reason.
in apple's next revision, if they can through a combo drive in the low end with that price they will have one hell of a computer. but then they would have to do something to the middle one because it would take sales. i hope apple puts the lights on all the computer, possibly even in all the keyboards for desktops, doesnt just have to be laptops.

iJon

Over Achiever
Jan 20, 2003, 10:41 PM
Originally posted by iJon
i hope apple puts the lights on all the computer, possibly even in all the keyboards for desktops, doesnt just have to be laptops.
I don't think that'll happen...the fiber optic system takes up space...and i'm not sure there is any space available for the ambient light sensors and the fiber optics in the 12" model.

If apple releases an updated 15" model, it might have enough room for it.

As for desktop keyboards...it'd be a cool option...i'm sure they'll keep the original keyboard as a cheaper option...not everyone needs a backlit keyboard.

chewbaccapits
Jan 20, 2003, 11:21 PM
Originally posted by Over Achiever


As for desktop keyboards...it'd be a cool option...i'm sure they'll keep the original keyboard as a cheaper option...not everyone needs a backlit keyboard.


So, do you guys think that this great piece of APPLE technology will be NATIVE in every future desk top and portable? I would think that all the R & D cash that went into, they would make it available with everything....(Fingers crossed!):eek:

insidedanshead
Jan 20, 2003, 11:42 PM
Originally posted by cubist
I have 7 macs, but only 4 of them have Superdrives: the 8100, the Umax c600, the IIci, and the Classic II.;)

LOL! Ohhh man you got me laughing.. does everyone just bypass humor like this?

makes you think back to the old days... good ol floppies.. and hmmm you think apple could have come up with a better name for their dvd burning drives besides stealing a name off an old drive.. .. Anyone else thinking.. Woogydrive!? or DeeVeeDeeBurney Drive? ook probably not *crawls into a hole*

WannabeSQ
Jan 21, 2003, 12:31 AM
well, they weren't "superdrives" they were "superdisk" IIRC. I could be wrong, it happened more than a few times....

I dont think they will, or should put a superdrive in all the iMacs, they have to keep their price points where they are or lower. They should definately keep a 15" and CD-RW on the low end model for people that dont need the extras, and have models along the way that get better in certain areas (ram, HD, DVD-R, screen etc)

MacCoaster
Jan 21, 2003, 06:48 PM
Originally posted by WannabeSQ
well, they weren't "superdrives" they were "superdisk" IIRC. I could be wrong, it happened more than a few times....
No, it was indeed SuperDrive for the floppies.

SuperDisk was just a stupid floppy format that could hold 120 MB. It never caught on.

MacFan25
Jan 21, 2003, 06:54 PM
I don't think that all of the next generation of iMacs will have a Superdrive. The low-end model will probably have a combo drive, though.

bbarnhart
Jan 21, 2003, 09:17 PM
I remember him saying that people tended to buy the high-end sku of the product line because they wanted the SuperDrive.

Shrek
Jan 22, 2003, 02:36 PM
Originally posted by bbarnhart
I remember him saying that people tended to buy the high-end sku of the product line because they wanted the SuperDrive.

Hmmm. And should people be forced to buy high-end machines to get the Superdrive? NOOOOO. Apple would sell more computers and increase their market share if customers can get a less-expensive system with a Superdrive, since the Superdrive is just soooo popular! :D

I think Apple should, if they haven't already, put some R&D into getting a Superdrive in all of their desktops for a decent price.