PDA

View Full Version : PM G5's(incl Quad) vs. Intel iMac CD - Gaming

asencif
Feb 16, 2006, 02:36 PM
According to the last barefeats tests done on most of the popular games rights now, the PM G5's with a good video card outdoes the Intel iMac CD. Some of the results surprised the BF testers. For anyone that is a mac user and a gamer, it is even suggested to get a used low end PM G5 and a powerful video card which would be of equal value to a Intel iMac CD. Upgradeability can be an extremel valuable option in a system.
Article Link below:

http://www.barefeats.com/imcd2.html

FarSide
Feb 16, 2006, 02:47 PM
A dualCore PowerMac G5 2.0GHz with:

NVidia Geforce 7800GT

I would check the SpecialDeal corner of www.apple.com, if you live in U.S.A! Getting a refurbished SingleCore Dual PowerMac G5 is what you should be looking for:

Dual 2.0
Dual 2.5
Dual 2.7

with

ATI Radeon X800XT
ATI Radeon X850XT
NVidia Geforce 6800 Ultra

Otherwise - go eBay

asencif
Feb 16, 2006, 02:57 PM
To me this shows that the Intel PM most have to be some amazing beasts in order to beat the PM G5's. No sense in releasing something of equal performance on the Pro line. Goes to show once again that the laptop lines decay was probably the #1 reason to go Intel.

p0intblank
Feb 16, 2006, 03:01 PM
I'm still impressed by the performance the iMac Core Duo is pushing. Anything over 30 fps is usually playable. And plus, I wasn't really expecting the iMac to perform that well in Doom 3 with high quality turned on.

One of these days I will get an iMac...

Lord Blackadder
Feb 16, 2006, 03:10 PM
Right now the "budget gamer" Mac of choice would be a single core G5 with the X800XT or 6800GT. For the money, the older G5 still beats the Core Duos hands down in gaming, even though the Intel iMac is no slouch - I'm glad they decided to use an X1600 video card too.

As an interesting sidenote, the future Intel "PowerMacs" will probably be even easier to upgrade, since CPUs will be available off-the-shelf (unlike the G5).

jrk07
Feb 16, 2006, 07:51 PM
This article just makes me want a Quad even though I don't necessarily use my current 1.8ghz iMac to its fullest. Something about PowerMacs makes me want one so bad, and thats probably the raw power (and the sweet aluminum look). At the same time though, I wouldn't really want any single-processor dual core powermacs, unless it was a quad. I'd rather have a true dual processor model.