PDA

View Full Version : Linux boots on 17-inch iMac Core Duo

MacBytes
Feb 16, 2006, 03:10 PM
http://www.macbytes.com/images/bytessig.gif (http://www.macbytes.com)

Category: News and Press Releases
Link: Linux boots on 17-inch iMac Core Duo (http://www.macbytes.com/link.php?sid=20060216161038)
Description:: Members of the Mactel-Linux effort today announced that they have managed to boot Linux on a 17-inch iMac Core Duo

Posted on MacBytes.com (http://www.macbytes.com)
Approved by Mudbug

TheMasin9
Feb 16, 2006, 03:32 PM
good news for the linux guys, i am not one myself, but its still good to get an intel mac to to something other than osx!

Kimi
Feb 16, 2006, 03:33 PM
I'm guessing that Windows should be running in a few days then?

balamw
Feb 16, 2006, 03:33 PM
good news for the linux guys, i am not one myself, but its still good to get an intel mac to to something other than osx!
Hallelujah! This can only be good news for booting Windows as well! Someone's going to collect the $11K+ pot from http://www.winxponmac.com!

B

Chaszmyr
Feb 16, 2006, 04:04 PM
I'm guessing that Windows should be running in a few days then?

The two aren't really connected, people get Linux to run on anything (including iPods)

krut
Feb 16, 2006, 04:06 PM
Being able to boot Linux on an intel iMac isn't necessarily proof that Windows XP will boot on one. From what I've been reading the Intel Macs use EFI in stead of the classic BIOS, yes? -- Linux is open source and can be modified for use of EFI intructions. The wiki reports the kernel and elilo would need to be modified, which would allow the booting, and beyond that, the drivers.
Microsoft is not going to release a Windows XP version that'll just magically work because of Linux beginning to be developed for the intel macs. -- It's a long road for both of them. Not being a developer, that's all that I can gather from the happenings after the budding relationship between apple and intel.

My question is that since x86 support is with the intel processors whether or not codecs (w32, quicktime, etc.) macromedia flash, and sun java would work in a linux distrobution targeted towards the new macs?

isgoed
Feb 16, 2006, 04:16 PM
Being able to boot Linux on an intel iMac isn't necessarily proof that Windows XP will boot on one. True, but it does open up the possibility of trying VMWare for Linux and use that to run windows. The speed will be quite good I guess. Getting VMWare to run at all might be a problem, since it is quite an advanced program.

krut
Feb 16, 2006, 04:25 PM
That is rather impractical. VMware for linux is quite expensive. Also, the speed would be quite slow. You'd wind up dealing with sub-par ati drivers in linux, and although I haven't a clue about how well vmware runs in linux, I would not be suprised that the video performance would be quite slow, and also the memory usage would be quite high. -- Provided all the codecs and plugins work, you could just as easily use crossover office / cedega to play games and run IE and such. (Then you run into poor driver quality again in regard to games.)

balamw
Feb 16, 2006, 04:27 PM
Being able to boot Linux on an intel iMac isn't necessarily proof that Windows XP will boot on one.
Agreed, necessary but not sufficient.

Getting anything other than OS X to boot on these machines though give those trying to boot windows a significant leg up.

Picture this: Besides vmware, linux opens the door to Crossover Office, which would provide another way to get windows apps running on Macs.

The linux boot leader has always been pretty good about subverting/bypassing the system's BIOS as soon as it could. This was great for getting large disks working on older systems, etc...

One way to approach the problem now is to provide a "glue" driver that uses ELILO to load a BIOS equivalent and boot XP "normally".

B

Mr. Mister
Feb 16, 2006, 04:28 PM
Hallelujah! This can only be good news for booting Windows as well! Someone's going to collect the $11K+ pot from http://www.winxponmac.com!

B
Seems like that method of hacker innovation is growing in popularity. It sure produces progress. :eek:

albeik
Feb 16, 2006, 05:32 PM
Being able to boot Linux on an intel iMac isn't necessarily proof that Windows XP will boot on one. From what I've been reading the Intel Macs use EFI in stead of the classic BIOS, yes? -- Linux is open source and can be modified for use of EFI intructions. The wiki reports the kernel and elilo would need to be modified, which would allow the booting, and beyond that, the drivers.
Microsoft is not going to release a Windows XP version that'll just magically work because of Linux beginning to be developed for the intel macs. -- It's a long road for both of them. Not being a developer, that's all that I can gather from the happenings after the budding relationship between apple and intel.

My question is that since x86 support is with the intel processors whether or not codecs (w32, quicktime, etc.) macromedia flash, and sun java would work in a linux distrobution targeted towards the new macs?

This is very interesting... here in our labs (won't mention the company) we actually have Windows XP running on an intel development board that has EFI -- we are testing the "new" processors from intel. hmm... wonder if using "that" windows XP on the intel-Macs would work... hmm...

balamw
Feb 16, 2006, 06:03 PM
wonder if using "that" windows XP on the intel-Macs would work... hmm...
Doubt that your XP is anything extraordinary.

More likely that your EFI enabled Intel board makes use of the optional CSM (Compatibility Support Module), that provides BIOS compatibility. Of course this is something Apple didn't have to implement since they aren't planning for XP.

B

MacQuest
Feb 16, 2006, 06:59 PM
VMware for linux is quite expensive. Also, the speed would be quite slow. You'd wind up dealing with sub-par ati drivers in linux, and although I haven't a clue about how well vmware runs in linux, I would not be suprised that the video performance would be quite slow, and also the memory usage would be quite high.

Quite an excessive use of the word "quite". I think you would quite agree.

;) :)

Nermal
Feb 16, 2006, 07:50 PM
One way to approach the problem now is to provide a "glue" driver that uses ELILO to load a BIOS equivalent and boot XP "normally".

I was thinking the same thing. It probably won't be long until there's a Linux-based "loader" for Windows.