Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Abulia

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jun 22, 2004
Kushiel's Scion
So, last year I used TurboTax and liked it. This year I've heard that TT has increased the filing fees dramatically, making it not-so-much a bargin.

Any alternatives for the Mac platform, or just suck it up and use TT?

RBMaraman

macrumors 65816
Jul 25, 2002
New Albany, IN
I just did my brothers with Turbo Tax online. We did the one that costs $19.99 for federal and $24.99 for state. So, $45 is nothing compared to the $250 H&R Block charged me last year. It's Turbo Tax for me from here on out!

iSaint

macrumors 603
RBMaraman said:
I just did my brothers with Turbo Tax online. We did the one that costs $19.99 for federal and $24.99 for state. So, $45 is nothing compared to the $250 H&R Block charged me last year. It's Turbo Tax for me from here on out!

Me, too. I've used TT Online for three years now. Plus, I paid a little extra and had the refunds direct deposited in my checking account. Both were in within two weeks!

kugino

macrumors 65816
Jul 10, 2003
iSaint said:
Me, too. I've used TT Online for three years now. Plus, I paid a little extra and had the refunds direct deposited in my checking account. Both were in within two weeks!
direct deposit into checking is free w/turbo tax. at least i thought it was. i was only charged $45 for federal and state for the online version...

kugino

macrumors 65816
Jul 10, 2003
yg17 said:
I did HR Block online, 6 bucks for federal and 15 for state, got my refunds from both in about a week
wow. that sounds pretty good. was it easy to use?

grapes911

Moderator emeritus
Jul 28, 2003
Citizens Bank Park
I used to use a CPA and I always owed money. I then used TT for a while and I usually got a little back. I now pay a pretty good sum for a tax attorney to take care of everything. I do pay a lot, but it is worth it. TT used to give me $20 back or so. The tax attorney got me almost $350 each of the last two years. My income hasn't changed, nor has anything else. I am no very confident in paying extra money up front to get a bigger return later.

Abulia

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jun 22, 2004
Kushiel's Scion
It sounds like people have just gone with the online versions now, and not the actual software, correct? I'm a little hesitant to entering my taxes online -- how easy would you guys rate this?

nutmac

macrumors 603
Mar 30, 2004
I am using the software version of TurboTax Deluxe (with free CA state). Although I prefer the website route (rather not install 1-time use software), the software is significantly cheaper. At Costco, it was only $32 + tax after instant rebate. Granted, it no longer includes free federal e-file, but I don't mind using the printer and snail mail. And after I am done with it, my friends and family can use the software to file their taxes, too.

As for the software itself, 2005 version is significantly beefed up with improved organization. It works well and easy to use, it added up enough deductions for sizable refund. So I am happy.

Deepdale

macrumors 68000
May 4, 2005
New York
Happy news

I stopped in JPMorgan Chase this afternoon to get a printout of my account balance and there it was ... a wonderful electronic credit that took 22 days to receive from IRS to a traditional mail filing. A juicy tax refund can brighten the day very quickly. Now I will patiently wait until the end of April to check out what I hope will be the introduction of new iBooks and decide which laptop to buy ... maybe there will also be a change to the iPod lineup as well.

Gerg

macrumors regular
Feb 3, 2003
I use TurboTax software, have since 1997 or so I think.

This year, it once again came with a free state download, as well as a rebate coupon for the federal filing fee($14.95).

I like the software verson because I always can re-print/review old returns, and if I have to file an amended return (did 2 years ago) then it's pretty easy.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.