PDA

View Full Version : Is it worth upgrading 1.5ghz powerbook to 2gb ram?

mattyturner
Feb 16, 2006, 04:22 PM
Hi, i've got a 1.5ghz 15" powerbook with 1gb ram right now.
It's sometimes annoying to hit a slow down in photoshop when i've got a lot of stuff going on but apart from that will I notice a difference to speed if I upgrade from 1gb of RAM to 2gb?

The work I do is web dev mostly chopping up photoshop files, so i have photoshop, mail, textmate, firefox, safari, RDC, linotype font manager, a few widgets, itunes, preview and transmit open nearly all the time and i'm generally okay unless i open more 3 big photoshop files.

It'd cost me 165gpb minus whatever I get for my two 512mb sticks on ebay, you guys think it's worth it?

FF_productions
Feb 16, 2006, 04:43 PM
I don't know how much faster your apps can possibly run on a 1.5 ghz powerbook...You may want a faster hard drive, (assuming you have a 5400 rpm drive in there, you might want to get a 7200), or get 2 hard drives, one for the OS, the other for the files you work on (photoshop, etc). If you can afford 2 gigs of ram, go for it.

dornoforpyros
Feb 16, 2006, 04:47 PM
if you got the cash go for it

Dorkmonger
Feb 16, 2006, 04:47 PM
Matty,

I have the same processor and I have 1gig of RAM. I usually run a lot of programs all at once (ie photoshop, office, iTunes, etc.) I usually find that the processor is limiting and not the RAM. 1gig seems to be plenty for me.

smitty078
Feb 16, 2006, 04:48 PM
I have a 1.5 ghz powerbook. I normally have 1.5 GB of ram in this machine. I can tell you that for about 3 months i was down to 1 GB because the lower ram slot stopped working... during that time my powerbook sucked to use without that extra 512 to push it along. I noticed a huge slow down going from 1.5 to 1 gig of ram. When I got my 512 back I noticed a huge speed gain right back to where I used to be. I recommend getting the ram upgrade, however if you want to save money adding just an extra 512 would still help you out and probably be much cheaper.

mad jew
Feb 16, 2006, 04:52 PM
As a small test, I'd restart the machine and then run it for an hour, doing your usual workload. Then, open up Activity Monitor in the Utilities folder and post how many Page-Ins and Page-Outs you get. :)

twoodcc
Feb 16, 2006, 04:53 PM
i say go for it if you can afford it. i just put 2 gb in my 1.67 ghz pb. it helps

KD7IWP
Feb 16, 2006, 05:59 PM
Hmmm on my powerbook, when I went from 512 to 1gb I never noticed a difference personally. The most intense stuff I did was Call of Duty or minor XCode compiling. I would recommend checking your page outs in activity monitor. If you have none, don't bother, it won't make a difference. If you have a significant number of page outs, then that means if you had more RAM, the computer would use it.

mattyturner
Feb 17, 2006, 04:53 AM
Thanks for the help, checking page outs seems like the perfect way to determine whether the upgrade would help or not. I'd never noticed that there before!

Faster hard disk would certainly help but i'm not so comfortable replacing that.

fradac
Feb 17, 2006, 07:44 AM
yup,

i put 2GB in my 1.5 15in powerbook a while back as i do a lot of photoshop work it really helps to have extra memory to keep bigger files open. also with all the widgets i run (with each taking up memory) its nice to have enough to spare.

i picked up these Kingmax memory dimm from newegg last year. they ran me about $120 for 1GB so for $240 i had 2GB ram

dambro1978
Feb 17, 2006, 08:10 AM
what does it mean "page ins-page out" in activity monitor?
I have after 5 hours of working 26723/184.

PB 12" 1.5Ghz 512 Ram rev. E
iPod mini 4Gb

mad jew
Feb 17, 2006, 04:54 PM
Page ins and page outs are a record of the amount of times a piece of data has been written to or from the memory to the hard drive. An excessive amount means that you are running out of RAM and getting more will almost certainly speed the machine up.

Having said that dambro1978, yours is normal. Excessive amounts of RAM won't eliminate page ins and page outs entirely. :)

mattyturner
Feb 18, 2006, 03:26 PM
I ordered my 2gb from Kingston (uk) for 165. I'll let you know how I get on after i've used it for a bit. Photoshop has been feeling the burn lately, if i have big files open it sometimes freezes when I do a save for web (after it's written the file).

QCassidy352
Feb 18, 2006, 05:03 PM
well, not that it's exactly the same, but my gf, who has a 1.25 Ghz SP powermac G4, was using 768 RAM and just added 512 more. It made a *huge* difference. Everything is faster, fewer beachballs, pages load much more quickly, a lot less "hang time." Of course you see diminishing returns with more RAM, but 1 GB isn't that much, so I think going to 2 GB will give you a nice boost.

Ashapalan
Feb 18, 2006, 05:17 PM
what does it mean "page ins-page out" in activity monitor?
I have after 5 hours of working 26723/184.

PB 12" 1.5Ghz 512 Ram rev. E
iPod mini 4Gb

mine are
411152/195228

is that normal or what?
i may be joining you mattyturner...

CanadaRAM
Feb 18, 2006, 05:41 PM
mine are
411152/195228

is that normal or what?
Yow.

OK, you DO need more RAM, man. Pageouts are like 500 times what they ought to be, so you are regularly exceeding your physical RAM space.

Ashapalan
Feb 18, 2006, 05:53 PM
Yow.

OK, you DO need more RAM, man. Pageouts are like 500 times what they ought to be, so you are regularly exceeding your physical RAM space.

rev D 12'' powerbook.
512 mb

is this going to shorten the life of my hard drive?

mad jew
Feb 18, 2006, 07:40 PM

I thought it depended on uptime though. :o

Electro Funk
Feb 18, 2006, 08:08 PM
i say go for it if you can afford it. i just put 2 gb in my 1.67 ghz pb. it helps

agreed... if you can afford it, get it... it will help!

Deimo
Feb 18, 2006, 08:52 PM
mine are
411152/195228

is that normal or what?

How many hours/days of operation was that for? 5 hours?

iHeartTheApple
Feb 19, 2006, 12:59 AM
hmm, didn't know about this page in/out stuff...Seems interesting. I have a new 17" PBG4 DDR2 and it's telling me that my page ins/outs is 52278/35842 after 5 hours... Is this bad? I actually have 2GB of Crucial RAM in the mail, atm. I hope I made the right decision on the RAM. =/

mad jew
Feb 19, 2006, 01:20 AM
Yeah, that's quite a large amount of page ins/outs. The RAM was a good idea iHeartTheApple. You'll notice a nice speed bump. :)

iHeartTheApple
Feb 19, 2006, 01:40 AM
Yeah, that's quite a large amount of page ins/outs. The RAM was a good idea iHeartTheApple. You'll notice a nice speed bump. :)

Phew! I'm so glad. :D Now, just so I learn something from all of this, the page ins/outs specifies the number of times the compy transfers data from the RAM to the hard drive (ins?) and hardrive-to-RAM (outs?)? Just checkin'...Thanks for the info!

EDIT: Just realized that you pretty much answered my question a few posts ago...oops!

SmurfBoxMasta
Feb 19, 2006, 07:32 AM
Phew! I'm so glad. :D Now, just so I learn something from all of this, the page ins/outs specifies the number of times the compy transfers data from the RAM to the hard drive (ins?) and hardrive-to-RAM (outs?)? Just checkin'...Thanks for the info!

EDIT: Just realized that you pretty much answered my question a few posts ago...oops!

Actually you have it backwards.....

I have 2GB in my G4 & do heavy PS work all day long, and NEVER have any page outs :p

the page-outs are when data is being swapped TO the HDD because you ran out of physical ram, and THAT is the number you should be concerned with :D

With 2GB, PS will keep more of your work stored in the ram instead of hitting the HDD, which in effect make it run a bit faster, BUT you have to set the memory usage amount in the PS preferences to ~65% of your total installed ram when PS is running along with other apps. If PS is the only app running, you could go a little higher but you always wanna have around 512mb for OS X by itself to make it run well too :)

And YES, excessive pageouts to the HDD WILL shorten it's lifespan considerably!

hkd
Feb 22, 2006, 06:05 AM
Can someone explain the difference between these two sticks of RAM from Crucial??

http://www.crucial.com/store/MPartspecs.Asp?mtbpoid=2544022EA5CA7304&WSMD=PowerBook+G4+1%2E5GHz+%2815%2Dinch+Display%29&WSPN=CT368654 for $205

vs.

http://www.crucial.com/store/partspecs.Asp?IMODULE=CT12864X335 for $140

mfacey
Feb 22, 2006, 07:01 AM
Can someone explain the difference between these two sticks of RAM from Crucial??

http://www.crucial.com/store/MPartspecs.Asp?mtbpoid=2544022EA5CA7304&WSMD=PowerBook+G4+1%2E5GHz+%2815%2Dinch+Display%29&WSPN=CT368654 for $205

vs.

http://www.crucial.com/store/partspecs.Asp?IMODULE=CT12864X335 for $140

The specs are exactly the same for both modules. Only difference is that crucial doesn't guarantee the compatibility with your powerbook. It wouldn't surprise me if the two modules are actually identical but that Crucial charges you a premium when the guarantee compatibility with you powerbook. That's business for ya.
If you're up to for it you could take the risk and save some cash by getting the none guaranteed one.

macOSX-tastic
Feb 22, 2006, 07:26 AM
lots of ram is good, especially if you have a lot of apps / pro apps / dashboard widgets running. i have 1GB in mine at the moment and dont really need more, as everything runs faster than i could want at the moment. maybe in the future, i would consider upgrading the ram, but not yet.

S

hkd
Feb 22, 2006, 12:48 PM
The specs are exactly the same for both modules. Only difference is that crucial doesn't guarantee the compatibility with your powerbook. It wouldn't surprise me if the two modules are actually identical but that Crucial charges you a premium when the guarantee compatibility with you powerbook. That's business for ya.
If you're up to for it you could take the risk and save some cash by getting the none guaranteed one.

That was my initial thinking.. but then I came upon this:
http://www.crucial.com/store/MPartspecs.Asp?mtbpoid=AEB46766A5CA7304&WSMD=ThinkPad+T42+Series+(Type+2373)&WSPN=CT433386

Again, same RAM, same specs, but this one is $122!