PDA

View Full Version : Belkin offering to replace my iPod, should I?

Kingsly
Feb 16, 2006, 06:10 PM
Belkin's Kickstand case left two massive scratches on my new 60 Gbyte iPod. I called hoping to get a new case and they offered to compensate me for the iPod! The problem is that they will keep my old iPod (duh) and Im wondering if I should get it replaced at a large personal cost (time spent backing up iPod) or just live with the scratches (I buffed most of them out) and get the case replaced. A third option is I could take my sweet time filling out the claim form and wait until april 1st to see if Apple comes out with the "real" iPod video. :D

Spock
Feb 16, 2006, 06:16 PM
Well You confused me, do you store files on Your iPod or do You think putting a usb cable in Your computer is time wasted?

Kingsly
Feb 16, 2006, 06:19 PM
I currently have USB 1.0 and tons of tv shows, music, photos and movies on my iPod, none of which are backed up. I delete music and movies once they are in my iPod.

zap2
Feb 16, 2006, 06:21 PM
Take the free iPod, upload your stuff to your iPod when you are at work or school

frankblundt
Feb 16, 2006, 06:23 PM
Back up! Even if it takes all night. Madness. Burn it to cds/dvds if HD space is an issue.
Unless you really don't care, in which case it's no big deal to lose it all anyways right?

jruc4871
Feb 16, 2006, 06:49 PM
I currently have USB 1.0 and tons of tv shows, music, photos and movies on my iPod, none of which are backed up. I delete music and movies once they are in my iPod.

using iPod as a backup device is not advisable.

Kingsly
Feb 16, 2006, 06:56 PM

I don't use it as a backup device. Its all my iPod media. All 19.3 Gbytes worth. Imagine downloading 19.3 Gbytes over USB!:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

I think I am leaning towards option 3.

GoCubsGo
Feb 16, 2006, 07:32 PM
Take the free ipod and hope to god your ipod never fails. Many ipods have been known to just get fussy at times and it requires a restore. Restore=format drive in a way. It will remove all music and movies and reset all settings.
Take the ipod and spend the time waiting on backing up your data the right way.

FireArse
Feb 16, 2006, 07:40 PM

Yea, dont do this - cos you might get pick-pocketed on the London Underground and loose half of your Uni work [i found out sometime later]

kuntz

Can you tell if I'm still bitter?!

p.s. take the free iPod

Kingsly
Feb 16, 2006, 08:33 PM
Its not really free... they take my old one and send me a check for the value of it. Thats why I want to wait until april to see if they come out with something new...

Gizmotoy
Feb 16, 2006, 09:02 PM
Its not really free... they take my old one and send me a check for the value of it. Thats why I want to wait until april to see if they come out with something new...

Getting reimbursed the full amount you paid isn't free? I wish somebody would send me a check for the full amount I paid for my iPod.

Anyway, you'd be foolish not to take them up on it. They're giving you a brand new iPod because their product was defective and screwed yours up. And besides that, there is no way you should be storing all of your music and videos on it, and only on it. 30 minutes don't go by in the Apple store where someone doesn't bring their iPod in that has either died or needs restored (and hence, reformatted). In order to save yourself the inevitable agony of losing everything later, you should have it all backed up now.

Find a friend with a DVD burner and USB2.0 (which should be pretty much everybody by now), and ask them to back up everything for you.

Besides that, I'm sure they have some time limit in place. If you wait 2-3 months to file your claim, I doubt they'd honor it.

puckhead193
Feb 16, 2006, 09:15 PM
about the tv shows etc.....did u purchase them from itunes? If so, i think if you call the customer support thing they will re-allow you to download them..or so i heard....

Spock
Feb 16, 2006, 11:01 PM

You can afford a new iPod but not a USB 2.0 card?? What kind of computer are You using?

Kingsly
Feb 17, 2006, 12:41 AM
You can afford a new iPod but not a USB 2.0 card?? What kind of computer are you using?
An eMac.

As soon as my MBP gets here (if it ever does) then I will have USB 2.0 and whatnot. I hope there is not a time limit on that claim... wishful thinking. I would hate to get a "free" iPod only to have Apple release a better one a month later.

upperblue79
Feb 17, 2006, 02:27 AM
A little off topic, but did you or anyone else using the kick-stand case from belkin have any issues with the scroll wheel acting like it is being turned. My 60gb video ipod will randomly turn down on me and I'm thinking it's the wheel cover on this particular case and not necessarily my ipod being defective.

Kingsly
Feb 17, 2006, 12:30 PM
A little off topic, but did you or anyone else using the kick-stand case from belkin have any issues with the scroll wheel acting like it is being turned. My 60gb video ipod will randomly turn down on me and I'm thinking it's the wheel cover on this particular case and not necessarily my ipod being defective.

THATS what it was! Darn, I thought I was imagining it.
Be careful with that case, its dangerous. Sliding it in and out all the time causes problems. Get an x-acto knife and cut away the stitching for the NeuElements tag and remove the tag. Then use the knife to remove any rough stitching around the inside of the scroll wheel.

The more I think about it, I wanna say I had a few instances of the iPod randomly turning down before I got the case, so perhaps its a defect.

balamw
Feb 18, 2006, 01:15 AM
The more I think about it, I wanna say I had a few instances of the iPod randomly turning down before I got the case, so perhaps its a defect.
GSM cell phones will do it every time if you place them too close (<3" or so) from the 5G 'Pod.

B

Felldownthewell
Feb 18, 2006, 01:26 AM

Well fill it out now, get the check, put it in the bank, and wait till april. There probably is a time limit and I would say that a month (it'll probably be early march by the time you send the paperwork and they send the check and you send the ipod...) without an ipod is sufferable if you get a new one for free!

Kingsly
Feb 18, 2006, 02:51 AM
Well fill it out now, get the check, put it in the bank, and wait till april. There probably is a time limit and I would say that a month (it'll probably be early march by the time you send the paperwork and they send the check and you send the ipod...) without an ipod is sufferable if you get a new one for free! Yeah but you dont know me. I suppose, if my MBP comes by then, I will survive, but it will be close!:D