PDA

View Full Version : TiVo Desktop finally available to OS X (music & photos only ...

MacBytes
Feb 16, 2006, 09:39 PM
http://www.macbytes.com/images/bytessig.gif (http://www.macbytes.com)

Category: Apple Software
Link: TiVo Desktop finally available to OS X (music & photos only though) (http://www.macbytes.com/link.php?sid=20060216223949)
Description:: none

Posted on MacBytes.com (http://www.macbytes.com)
Approved by Mudbug

bbarnhart
Feb 16, 2006, 09:54 PM
It's just an update from 1.9.1 to 1.9.2. You already could do music and pictures.

hcuar
Feb 16, 2006, 10:10 PM
Psh. Tivo got canceled long ago for myself. I've finally settled in with Dish. I have a dual tuner DVR for 5 bucks a month that can be used on 2 TVs at the same time. Here's why Tivo sucks:

1.) Even when you call and cancel they try to convince you that Mac support is going to be improving.

2.) It improved... Wow... I can use the Tivo Desktop on Tiger now... Bet that was hard. Tiger's been out since when? October?

3.) The new version is only 1.9.2. Aka... no TivoToGo.

4.) They still weren't smart enough to create a dual binary. (I don't even have an Intel Mac, but still.)

5.) Using TivoToGo on the PC was painful. The transmission speed of shows to my old PC were less than realtime.

6.) They support 802.11b/g now (upgraded to support g). However, they still don't support WPA. You are forced to use WEP.

7.) What the heck are you paying 13 bucks a month for when you already purchased the box. I understand cable companies and Satellite companies which "give" you the box and charge a 5 dollar monthly fee. (That 5 dollar fee usually pays for a second tuner anyway)

8.) Oh yeah... Tivo only has one tuner. You can only record 1 program at a time.

/rant

Nermal
Feb 16, 2006, 11:34 PM
Tiger's been out since when? October?

April.

Aldaris
Feb 17, 2006, 12:50 AM
About time...

Please Apple give us the DVR Mac... Tivo had time to work on this and let the Mac community down. Please Apple show them how to do it and Kill TiVo.

*I really like my tivo, I really think that they should pay equal attention to Mac as they do Pcee.

grapes911
Feb 17, 2006, 12:55 AM
I stopped waiting for TiVo2Go for the Mac. I took the risk and hacked my box and installed TiVo Tool. Works perfectly.

http://tivotool.com/

kingtj
Feb 17, 2006, 02:49 PM
I inherited a Tivo from one of my customers who was frustrated he couldn't get his working right with his new digital cable box. I proceeded to download the Linux-based software tool that lets you upgrade the hard drive, and turned the basic 40 hour model into a 130 hour model. Luckily for me, the guy had paid for the lifetime subscription - so I only had to transfer it over to my name, and never had to pay that monthly fee.

Even so, my joy was short-lived. After only having the unit about 3 months, I came home one night to a black screen with some sort of CPU error message printed across the top of it. Tried to unplug it and reboot/reset it - but same thing.

I called Tivo and they simply said I needed to send it back for repair. Of course, it was out of warranty so it was going to cost me about $85 plus shipping.

The dumb thing is, I inherited a second 40 hour Tivo unit, new in the box, from a relative who got it as a gift but didn't want it - and I can't transfer my lifetime subscription over to it. It's chained to the specific box - not the purchaser.

I don't want to pay $80+ to fix an old unit when I have a brand new identical one sitting here in the box! So I just scrapped the whole thing and put together a MythTV system. Much more flexible than Tivo and no paid subscriptions of any type needed.

ZipZilla
Feb 17, 2006, 03:52 PM
The series 2 Tivo is a joke product.

Tivo needs to stop screwing around with the Tivo home media option and Tivo-to-go and focus on their core offering, the set-top DVR.

Right now, the series 2 Tivo seriously lacks in several areas.

1.) It only has one tuner. Sorry..this doesn't cut it. The DVRs the cable cos and sat providers give out like candy have 2 tuners. People want 2 tuners. The demo I saw of the Series 3 Tivo catches up to the competition right now by offering two tuners...(6 total, yes, but only 2 of each type.) People want MORE tuners.

2.) People want to be able to see what's currently playing while the channel guide is up. The cable co DVRs do this, Tivo does not. Strike 2.

3.) The monthly fee is too high. $13? What are they smoking?

4.) And finally...a niggling little complaint: Tivo has no screensaver. If I have it on "now playing" I do not want it to pop back to live TV after a certain amount of time.

Tivo was way ahead of its time, but it has fallen behind. I have a DirecTV Tivo with two tuners and I love it....but the competition is catching up. Tivo will be around for years to come if they focus and compete.

solvs
Feb 20, 2006, 12:19 AM
Also had problems with my Tivo. Even on my PC I couldn't get the networking features working right, let alone on a Mac. The lack of a dual tuner bugged me. It always seemed to screw up channel changing (accidentally recorded the wrong channel all the time unless I changed the channel myself... even then sometimes). Would randomly reboot after updating when I was time shifting with no warning. Numerous other problems, so I just got the one through the local cable company. Didn't have as many features, but worked so much better. My Grandfather has one of those PCI cards for his PowerMac that he swears by. My Sister has one of those external USB ones that she loves. And though the ones built in to DirectTV systems seem a lot better, especially with the dual tuner, I still don't like them.

My rant on Tivo. Anyone know if ReplayTV is any better? I'm thinking I'll just go with the local cable company's in my new apartment. Only $10 a month.