PDA

View Full Version : My ibook USB 2 ports are dead!

spellflower
Feb 17, 2006, 12:29 AM
I use a SanDisk titanium cruzer flash drive with my ibook. It's about the length and width of a stick of wrigley's gum, so it sticks out about three inches from the side of my machine. I am always careful not to knock it, but ocasionally it gets touched. Yesterday I bumped it a little and the warning mesage about improper device removal popped up. Then when I tried to unplug and replug, it wouldn't respond. I tried plugging in other devices (printer, external HD, ipod) into the port, but it wouldn't respond to any of them. Tonight I was (stupidly) using the cruzer in the other USB 2 port, when I touched it with some papers which I placed on top of the sleeping ibook. The harddrive whirred, and when I opened the book it was awake, and the nasty mesage about device removal was on the screen. And, you guessed it, now neither USB 2 port works.

What should I do? Is this covered by my apple care? Should I deny using the drive? Is this a known problem for ibooks? Please help!

cnakeitaro
Feb 17, 2006, 08:27 AM
If it's still under its Applecare warranty, its definitely in my eyes deserving of a replacements. I use flash drives too, i get my removal device warnings, and never have had a USB port stop working.

Gokhan
Feb 17, 2006, 09:10 AM
try restting the pmu and pram my pb did this i took it to apple think a new logic board but nope just reset pmu

try it

spellflower
Feb 17, 2006, 12:58 PM
How do I reset the PMU?

spellflower
Feb 18, 2006, 11:57 AM
Thanks for the replies. I didn't actually end up needing to reset anything- a friend suggested restarting, and that seems to have solved the problem!

cnakeitaro
Feb 18, 2006, 03:06 PM
Thanks for the replies. I didn't actually end up needing to reset anything- a friend suggested restarting, and that seems to have solved the problem!

<.< >.> lmao!