PDA

View Full Version : PB: how to record from old turntable?

cyberone
Feb 18, 2006, 12:30 AM
yes, stupid question, but dont want to buy the wrong cable again ...

already bought a wrong headphone mic for the PB 17, but the 17's headphone jack doesnt support an external mic ...

so if I want to record from my good old turntable over the receiver,

- which jack to use in the PB?
- which exit in the receiver?

tks for an insight!

kretzy
Feb 18, 2006, 12:49 AM
You should be able to get something like this:
http://www.lg-internet.com/catalog/images/CBL%203.5MM%202%20RCAM.jpg

The white and red ones hook into your turntable and the other one into your PB (it goes into the hole next to the one for headphones/speakers)

There's software that comes with Toast that lets you convert record to digital. I've also used sounds studio to do a similar thing (I recorded from radio though).

khisayruou
Feb 18, 2006, 01:25 AM
Just another option to take: Griffin's Turntable Connection Cable
http://www.griffintechnology.com/products/grounding_cable/index.php

CanadaRAM
Feb 18, 2006, 01:43 AM
You should be able to get something like this:
http://www.lg-internet.com/catalog/images/CBL%203.5MM%202%20RCAM.jpg

The white and red ones hook into your turntable and the other one into your PB (it goes into the hole next to the one for headphones/speakers)

There's software that comes with Toast that lets you convert record to digital. I've also used sounds studio to do a similar thing (I recorded from radio though).

You don't want to plug directly to the turntable - you need a preamp/ RIAA equalizer in the circuit. So plug that into the Aux our or Tape out of a receiver or preamp, or into the line out of a turntable mixer.

redAPPLE
Feb 18, 2006, 01:47 AM
and which software would be best to digitalize the vinyl record?

in best, i mean, to have the best sound quality and/or simplicity.

RAS admin
Feb 18, 2006, 07:23 AM

I use CD Spin Doctor which comes with Toast Titanium. The program lets you separate into individual tracks either automatically or manually.

ArcTeryx
Feb 18, 2006, 11:35 AM
How good a sound quality do you want?
I mean, are you an audiophile that can tell between 190kbps and 256kbps mp3 encodings on your ipod?
I'd say for best quality grab it and encode with lossless, just tag it manually with all the information. At least then later you can downsample to your portable player w/o having no tag or track information on it.

Angie2
Feb 18, 2006, 01:27 PM
Can I have any ones opinion on the following....
After being spurned on by reading threads recently about converting my vinyl to cd I purchased a phono preamp and audio stereo jack to connect my Bush turntable to my imac. All connects, all works, until I actually record (CD Spin Doctor) and the sound quality is basically unbearable! (Even using the filters!)

I tested the stylus on the turntable connected to the hifi through the speakers and it was ok but obviously through the preamp it picks up so much crap.

Is it worth buying a new stylus?
If the stereo output on the hi fi was bearable is the sound quality going to be noticeably improved with a new stylus or will I find very little difference?
Should I cut my losses now?
Can anyone tell me another use for the preamp?
Was so chufffed it all worked and so p**** off it sounded so bad!

Any ideas gratefully received!

Angie

frankblundt
Feb 18, 2006, 01:38 PM
i had the same issue when going into the mic jack, just couldn't get the levels right. I ended up with a Griffin iMic which uses USB (input set to "line-level") and the turntable going into a stereo amp and out through the "tape rec" jacks.

My system's a B&W g3 using a third-party usb2 card and i don't think it can really handle audio going in and out at the same time so i couldn't monitor the sound directly - "play input through speakers" - while recording (without it sounding awful and recording equally badly) and just went by the levels in Spin Doctor and used the stereo speakers to hear when to start/stop recording.

Work's a treat. My vinyl collection lives again!

Angie2
Feb 22, 2006, 04:59 AM
Thanks for that.
Ive since discovered my turntable has a built in pre-amp, so by connecting it straight to my mac it records pretty well, reasonable enough to listen to anyway. Im lucky enough that the company I bought it from will let me return the pre-amp!!

So now ive just got to get to grips with Spin doctor controls and Ill be away!!