Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jonparadise

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 5, 2005
London, UK
A couple of my clients would like to have their website on CD to take away.

What is the best application to burn a CD or DVD of a website in a format that the layman can easily understand? It needs to be quite customizable and professional.

Is Toast anygood for this type of thing? Of do I need some as high end as the Apple DVD authoring software?

I guess it would need to austomatically need to boot up on a Mac and PC.

Any tips are welcome.

Soulstorm

macrumors 68000
Feb 1, 2005
Well, I didn't understand anything you say.

What do you mean "What is the best application to burn a CD or DVD of a website in a format that the layman can easily understand? It needs to be quite customizable and professional."???

You know when you make a website, it will look like this in the finder:

attachment.php

Then you just burn the ontire folder to a cd and the client you mention will open the "index.html" with his favourite browser.

The only thing that you really need to worry about is how you are going to tell them to upload it to their web server.

ALSO: The finder can burn CD's and DVD's recognizable by PC's. But for that, you need OS X 10.3 or newer. Toast can do that too, and it's the best tool available for OS X right now. Version 7 is awesome.

Attachments

• Untitled.jpg
    Untitled.jpg
    124.2 KB · Views: 345

kwajaln

macrumors 6502
Sep 18, 2004
CHICAGO!
iWeb can very easily be used for exactly what you are after. You simply use the "publish to a folder" option and then burn that folder onto a CD. iWeb is bad for people with dial-up connections (like my Mom) so I used this method and mailed her a CD with the entire website on it. Navigation is the same as if she was on the actual website with a broadband connection. :D

20rogersc

macrumors 65816
Jun 28, 2005
Brighton, UK
If they only want to view it, why don't you have an alias to the index page on the first level on the cd, but rename it "View Site", and then put all the files for the site in to a folder next to it, maybe name it " " and give it a transparent icon so the don't know it's there?

::20ROGERSC::

EDIT: Saw that they want the full site, so just name the folder "Site Files", and maybe give it a icon (your own logo?), and then when they open the cd it will look uncluttered?

jonparadise

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 5, 2005
London, UK
Thanks guys for the tips.

I probably wasn't clear enough in my first post.

If possible, I'd like to be able to create a 'self launching' CD, the sort you get with computer magazines, where you insert the CD and a menu pops up.

The contents of the CD maybe a website (which could just contain the folder structure to put on their computer), but they may also want a flash photo album, automatically viewable when they pop in the disc.

cwedl

macrumors 65816
Jun 5, 2003
sure is

picture19kw.png

Make sure the auto open disc window is enabled.

secondly click more and you can make the open disc window pretty.

picture22cs.png

All of this can be done in Roxio Toast 7. Like where the screenshots came from.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.