PDA

View Full Version : Help needed with iPod song transfer

BrodieBruce
Feb 18, 2006, 05:06 AM
Does anyone know of a way i can takes songs from one iPod either back into iTunes and on to another iPod or just straight iPod to iPod transfer. My 4G 20gb iPod froze on me the other day and then erased everything I had on there (2500ish songs!). My girlfriend has an iPod and I want to take everything from hers onto mine but don't want to spend ages uploading all my cd's again.

munkle
Feb 18, 2006, 05:10 AM
I like PodWorks (http://www.scifihifi.com/podworks/) but there are freeware alternatives, like iPod Extractor (http://specere.net/oie.html), available.

BrodieBruce
Feb 18, 2006, 05:15 AM
Cheers for that, it will make my life a lot easier :)

doug.hall
Feb 18, 2006, 10:05 AM
Podutil is a good option too

JeffBarnett
Feb 22, 2006, 01:55 PM
Anybody know how well the three apps mentioned will work on my Intel iMac with OSX Tiger and iTunes 6?

JeffBarnett
Feb 27, 2006, 08:43 AM
Anybody know how well the three apps mentioned will work on my Intel iMac with OSX Tiger and iTunes 6?

I answered my own question. I tried PodUtil yesterday, and it works fine.

rebhaf
Mar 8, 2006, 11:14 AM
Doesn't Apple provide an easier way to transfer songs to a new iPod than to download hack software from other sites? I know they're under pressure to help eliminate mass music sharing, but at the same time, some people just want to upgrade to a new iPod. They're constantly pushing iPod owners to move up to a new one (I get an email per month telling me about new iPods). I'd love to buy the new iPod with video, but they've never explained to me how I can transfer music. It's not just all the work of re-ripping hundreds of CDs. It's also all the 100-some songs I purchased legitimately from the iTunes Music Store. If the only way is, in fact, a hack software. Is it possible to bring the songs back to the regular iTunes interface?

TheDulcimer
Mar 8, 2006, 11:43 AM
Doesn't Apple provide an easier way to transfer songs to a new iPod than to download hack software from other sites? I know they're under pressure to help eliminate mass music sharing, but at the same time, some people just want to upgrade to a new iPod. They're constantly pushing iPod owners to move up to a new one (I get an email per month telling me about new iPods). I'd love to buy the new iPod with video, but they've never explained to me how I can transfer music. It's not just all the work of re-ripping hundreds of CDs. It's also all the 100-some songs I purchased legitimately from the iTunes Music Store. If the only way is, in fact, a hack software. Is it possible to bring the songs back to the regular iTunes interface?

Dude you totally missed what apple wants you to have done (not saying its the way it SHOULD be, but its the way apple means for it to be) is to have ALL your music on your computer and that the ipod would mirror it, then you could have ANY type of ipod, at any time copy music to it, and then if it got screwed up or something you would just recopy it all. that of course is in a perfect world where people don't delete the music off their computer after they copy it to ipod.

-The Dulcimer-

rebhaf
Mar 8, 2006, 12:49 PM
Dude you totally missed what apple wants you to have done (not saying its the way it SHOULD be, but its the way apple means for it to be) is to have ALL your music on your computer and that the ipod would mirror it, then you could have ANY type of ipod, at any time copy music to it, and then if it got screwed up or something you would just recopy it all. that of course is in a perfect world where people don't delete the music off their computer after they copy it to ipod.

-The Dulcimer-

I must be missing something here (sorry, I'm not the most tech-savy person, so please bare with me)... I currently DO have all my songs on my iTunes. The problem is that if I attach a new iPod to my computer (where my playlist is), it will give me an error message telling me that the iPod doesn't belong to this iTunes list (don't remember the exact wording of the message). Then I have the option of completely erasing the playlist so the new iPod will work with iTunes.

This is what happened the first time I tried to use my iPod shuffle on my iBook. I had always kept all my songs on my PC desktop because that's what I work on all day. I was able to transfer my iTunes songs from this PC to my iBook via AirPort with no problem (it just asked me if I agreed to share them with myself). But then, as soon as I tried to plug my iPod shuffle into the iBook, it wouldn't show up. The only option it gave me was to either not use the iPod on the iBook, or to erase the songs on it and start over. Is this standard or is it just something weird that happened to me? Or was it just a bad dream?

n-abounds
Mar 8, 2006, 01:38 PM
I must be missing something here (sorry, I'm not the most tech-savy person, so please bare with me)... I currently DO have all my songs on my iTunes. The problem is that if I attach a new iPod to my computer (where my playlist is), it will give me an error message telling me that the iPod doesn't belong to this iTunes list (don't remember the exact wording of the message). Then I have the option of completely erasing the playlist so the new iPod will work with iTunes.

This is what happened the first time I tried to use my iPod shuffle on my iBook. I had always kept all my songs on my PC desktop because that's what I work on all day. I was able to transfer my iTunes songs from this PC to my iBook via AirPort with no problem (it just asked me if I agreed to share them with myself). But then, as soon as I tried to plug my iPod shuffle into the iBook, it wouldn't show up. The only option it gave me was to either not use the iPod on the iBook, or to erase the songs on it and start over. Is this standard or is it just something weird that happened to me? Or was it just a bad dream?

iPods that are PC-formatted don't work on a Mac...but I think there must be some way around that...

Thanatoast
Mar 8, 2006, 01:45 PM
An iPod can only be attached to a single computer. A computer can have up to five iPods.

Apple wants you to have all your music on one computer and to stream it to all your other computers. This was a good idea at first when it wasn't restricted to the same subnet, but the RIAA got its panties in a twist and now in order to listen to your own music away from your main music library computer you either have to be on the same router or own an iPod.

rebhaf
Mar 8, 2006, 02:54 PM
An iPod can only be attached to a single computer. A computer can have up to five iPods.

Thanks. This is all starting to make sense now. If I understand correctly, the reason my iBook wouldn't sync up to my iPod shuffle is because it recognized it as already belonging to another computer -- a PC in this case (how noble; if only people were so faithful). But if I were to buy a brand new iPod, I could also link it up to my PC-based iTunes (as long as I configure it to the PC from the beginning). Is this right? So I can constantly run both iPods on the same computer without messing up my playlist each time.

Sorry, just one more question... Say the day comes where I have to change computers. If I have all the iTunes song files backed up on an external hard drive, and then I bring them over to the new computer (with a totally new iTunes application), will I be able to reconfigure my two iPods to the new computer and simply drag over the songs?

I'm just trying to figure all this stuff out before I end up with an iPod that I can't use right.

TheDulcimer
Mar 8, 2006, 03:07 PM
iPods that are PC-formatted don't work on a Mac...but I think there must be some way around that...

First off THAT is wrong, its the other way around, Mac formatted ipods (like my ipod) don't work on windows. My friends come over with their ipods from windows and connect to my mac all the time.

Second, the message about not being able to copy because the ipod is owned by another library is because it is set on "auto-sync" if you change your ipod to "manual mode" you can plug it into as many itunes libraries as you want and copy all the music you can fit on your ipod.

unless i missed something HUGE this is not true "An iPod can only be attached to a single computer. A computer can have up to five iPods."

it is that a SONG bought off of the itunes music store can only have 5 computers use it.

A new ipod will not give you a message saying it is attached to another itunes library if it is brand new, if it is not brand new change the settings to "manual mode" and then that message will never pop up again (you must understand that in manual mode it will not update music plays back to your computer, and it won't copy anything automatically, you will have to drag and drop new music/playlists onto the ipod by hand)

please let me know what you don't understand that i've said so i can clear that up (i have this way with confusing people... sorry if i do!)

-The Dulcimer-

Thanatoast
Mar 8, 2006, 08:39 PM
If you hook an iPod up to a different computer than your usual one, it will ask to update, unless you tell it not to. You can copy music to it if you have it set up for external HD mode and bring those songs to your home computer, but you cannot sync the iPod to multiple libraries.

TheDulcimer
Mar 8, 2006, 08:46 PM
If you hook an iPod up to a different computer than your usual one, it will ask to update, unless you tell it not to. You can copy music to it if you have it set up for external HD mode and bring those songs to your home computer, but you cannot sync the iPod to multiple libraries.

Yes you can. Let me show you with a screen shot

Notice at the top it says "Automatically update all songs and playlists"

If you have THAT set on you can only have music from one computer. If you set it to "Manually manage songs and playlists" you can plug it into 100,000 computers and copy music from them all you want. In fact you can even listen to music ON the computer from the ipod with Manual mode set on. The downside to using this is it will not copy anything FOR you, you have to drag it, and it won't copy song playcounts back to your computer anymore.

-The Dulcimer-

rebhaf
Mar 9, 2006, 11:27 AM
Yes you can. Let me show you with a screen shot

Notice at the top it says "Automatically update all songs and playlists"

If you have THAT set on you can only have music from one computer. If you set it to "Manually manage songs and playlists" you can plug it into 100,000 computers and copy music from them all you want. In fact you can even listen to music ON the computer from the ipod with Manual mode set on. The downside to using this is it will not copy anything FOR you, you have to drag it, and it won't copy song playcounts back to your computer anymore.

-The Dulcimer-

I'm not suggesting this is the case, but is it possible that what you're saying was possible and has been corrected on newer versions of the iPod software? I'll try it again when I can, but I'm sure of two things...
1) My iPod shuffle has always been set in manual mode (it never updates anything -- I have to slide things over to it manually, which makes sense of course when you only have 240-song capacity)
2) When I plugged in my iPod shuffle (Windows-formated) to my iBook, I could NOT moves songs onto my iPod (without erasing everything that was on my iPod before).