PDA

View Full Version : PowerBookG4 2.0GHz CPU upgrade by Daystar

FarSide
Feb 18, 2006, 06:25 AM
That is even better then the MacBook Pro 2.13GHz CTO... =.)

from www.barefeats.com

February 15th, 2006: Daystar announces up to 2.0GHz upgrade for Aluminum G4 PowerBooks.

The base price of $499 includes all parts and labor.

PowerBook G4 15": 1.0, 1.25, 1.33 upgraded to 1.92 GHz
PowerBook G4 15": 1.5 is upgraded to 2.0 GHz
PowerBook G4 17": 1.33 upgraded to 1.92 GHz
PowerBook G4 17": 1.5 is upgraded to 2.0 GHz

Daedalus256
Feb 18, 2006, 10:28 AM
That's really cool but I can honestly think of about 100000 other ways to spend $500.

jacobj
Feb 18, 2006, 11:02 AM
When you have to spend $500 to give your machine a little boost, then it really is time to move on..

aricher
Feb 18, 2006, 11:58 AM
"Note that this upgrade does void any Apple based logic board warranties."

Scary, I've had my PB 17" 1.33 logic board replaced twice - all covered under AppleCare. I would have spent nearly $1,000 on repairs each time had I not had AppleCare.

That said I'd think about it an another year once my AppleCare is over and if the CPU install prices came down.

zap2
Feb 18, 2006, 12:06 PM
When you have to spend $500 to give your machine a little boost, then it really is time to move on..

i think this upgrade is more for low mhz G4 PB, not the 1.67Ghz

Heb1228
Feb 18, 2006, 12:19 PM
Anybody ever tried one of these things? I wouldn't do it anytime soon, but if the prices came down from $499 I might be willing to try it in another year or so. This things already gets hot enough.

FarSide
Feb 18, 2006, 12:55 PM
What are some people thinking when they post? It's just incredible.

Fact is - if you have a PowerBookG4 1.0GHz or a 1.25GHz, this would be more then just a lil speed bump. But some people prefer to mess around I suspose...
Have fun boys =.) - Daedalus256 & jacobj

yg17
Feb 18, 2006, 12:57 PM
What are some poeple thinking when they post? It's just incredible.

Fact is - if you have a PowerBookG4 1.0GHz or a 1.25GHz, this would be more then just a lil speed bump. But some people prefer to mess around I suspose...
Have fun boys =.)

Right, for that old of a Powerbook, this makes a bit more sense. But I would never upgrade my 1.67GHz PowerBook because it's just a minor speed bump, and more importantly, it voids the warranty.

Daedalus256
Feb 19, 2006, 10:36 AM
What are some people thinking when they post? It's just incredible.

Have fun boys =.) - Daedalus256 & jacobj

What am I thinking? I'm thinking that I could spend $500 in a lot of different ways than shelling it out for a 700mhz upgrade for my G4 Pbook. Here are a couple examples:

Getting my car fixed
Gas
Rent
Food
Tuition
A nicer apartment
A new TV
Better internet ISP
A better cell phone
Some more RAM for my PC

Need I say anymore? I'm sorry but this stuff is just too expensive for the average user. Sure if you have thousands of dollars in excess per year to waste on this garbage you can afford it but the average user is just not going to spent the $500 for this upgrade.

So the next time you try to flame me on the internet, try to use your friggin brain.

Little Endian
Feb 19, 2006, 10:47 AM
I am more interested in what PowerLogix may have to offer. PoweLogix is supposed to be launching PowerPC G4 7448 processor upgrades that clock as high as 2Ghz and double the L2 cache to a full 1MB. The 7448 should also run considerably cooler than the current 7447 G4.

http://www.powerlogix.com/press/releases/2006/060110.html

zap2
Feb 19, 2006, 11:12 AM
What am I thinking? I'm thinking that I could spend $500 in a lot of different ways than shelling it out for a 700mhz upgrade for my G4 Pbook. Here are a couple examples:

Getting my car fixed
Gas
Rent
Food
Tuition
A nicer apartment
A new TV
Better internet ISP
A better cell phone
Some more RAM for my PC

Need I say anymore? I'm sorry but this stuff is just too expensive for the average user. Sure if you have thousands of dollars in excess per year to waste on this garbage you can afford it but the average user is just not going to spent the $500 for this upgrade.

So the next time you try to flame me on the internet, try to use your friggin brain.

Or if you PowerBook is aging and you 1) don't have the cash to buy a new one 2) love your old PB

Daedalus256
Feb 19, 2006, 11:13 AM
Or if you PowerBook is aging and you 1) don't have the cash to buy a new one 2) love your old PB

Yeah but my life doesn't revolve around my Powerbook or my computers. It revolves around me surviving, getting what I need, etc. :p

California
Feb 19, 2006, 12:24 PM
I bought three Tibook upgrades from Daystar and was very happy.

However, the current Albook pricing is just slightly too high to be make anyone happy.

Daystar does put a lot of money in R and D, I presume, but they would more than make it all back if these prices were more in the 325 dollar than 500 dollar range. More people would buy. Plus their work is warrantied for out of warranty Albooks. There could be a really good price point for all concerned here -- it is just curious to me why they are asking so much.

For example, a speed bump on my 12" PB 1.5ghz takes it up only to 1.83ghz -- and costs $699.00????? And voids my three years of Applecare which is over in December 2008?

Maybe, in three years, I'd consider for maybe 200 dollars. Maybe.

All that said, Daystars CPU upgrades are WONDERFUL. I just wish they could afford to drop prices to reasonable level -- they'd sell and sell and sell if they did.

yoda13
Feb 19, 2006, 01:47 PM
I might be interested in this in another year and a half when AppleCare expires on my Powerbook, but not before then. Hopefully, by then I will be able to afford a new MacBook Pro, but if not, then this is something I would really consider, esp. with a small price drop by then.;)

iHeartTheApple
Feb 19, 2006, 02:58 PM
I wonder if they're planning on making an upgrade option for the 1.67GHz PBG4's...Maybe to 2.0 or 2.25ish, something like that...I agree with you all that losing applecare coverage sucks, but I just bought my PB (listed in my sig) and I plan on using it for a long time. So in another year or two, a processor upgrade might not be a bad idea. Their prices do need to come down a bit though...

donniedarko
Feb 19, 2006, 03:15 PM
500 bucks in the big picture of things isn't much...
Life is short I buy what I want if I have the dough.

I like upgrading my stuff.

and as it has been said to each there own.
dd

California
Feb 19, 2006, 06:32 PM
500 bucks in the big picture of things isn't much...
Life is short I buy what I want if I have the dough.

I like upgrading my stuff.

and as it has been said to each there own.
dd

That makes no sense. Apple's iBooks in a couple of years should be hovering at that price point with specs that will blow our pbs out of the water.

Daystar needs to remember that it is not the 90's anymore and Apple's switch to Intel is to give Dell a run for their money with quality at a good price.

In other words, what gives with the high priced upgrades? What about the actual labor on the machines equals seven hundred dollars for some pb cpus?

Three hundred bucks is reasonable and they'd be flying out the window. Maybe they would do a group discount for MR people.

FarSide
Feb 20, 2006, 03:51 AM
I am not sure but maybe those CPU Upgrades include a new modified logicboard aswell. I don't think a PB G4 1.0GHz Logicboard is made for a 1.92GHz. Maybe I assume completely wrong. In case it includes a new logicboard, the price would be acceptable. What is included in a CPU speed upgrade (almost double clocked)?

Amuraivel
Feb 20, 2006, 10:30 AM
If they could upgrade the GPU/VRAM and the processor at the same time--I would be all over that for my PB 12", but as it stands, 500USD is too expensive.

I looked into because I love the 12", but need more power.

I would upgrade my PB for 300USD though.

toothpaste
Feb 20, 2006, 11:08 AM

Getting my car fixed
Gas
Rent
Food
Tuition
A nicer apartment
A new TV
Better internet ISP
A better cell phone
Some more RAM for my PC

Ditto. What kind of apartment can you get for $500 more? $500/12 months is $41.67. How much better is the apartment you are going to get than the one you have now for $42 bucks a month? I'm really curious.

Daedalus256
Feb 20, 2006, 11:16 AM
Ditto. What kind of apartment can you get for $500 more? $500/12 months is $41.67. How much better is the apartment you are going to get than the one you have now for $42 bucks a month? I'm really curious.

I currently live in overpriced school housing. I pay $600/month to live there. If I moved out and found a different apartment (Because many cost much less than $500) This 2.0Ghz Upgrade could pay for my apartment for like...two or three months, heh.

Plus my car has been making creaking noises :/

California
Feb 20, 2006, 01:30 PM
I am not sure but maybe those CPU Upgrades include a new modified logicboard aswell. I don't think a PB G4 1.0GHz Logicboard is made for a 1.92GHz. Maybe I assume completely wrong. In case it includes a new logicboard, the price would be acceptable. What is included in a CPU speed upgrade (almost double clocked)?

No, a CPU "upgrade" does not mean a new logic board. Daystar only can upgrade certain boards to a certain speed. If they were making boards, they would be bumping up against Intel.

Intel makes boards. It is not an easy business to be in .

spaceballl
Feb 20, 2006, 05:37 PM
Mac upgrades are always overpriced, but if someone has a 1 - 1.33 ghz powerbook, $500 might buy you another year of solid life for the powerbook until you finally want to make the plunge to newer rev macbooks.

of course it's overpriced, but there's definitely a market for it.

California
Feb 20, 2006, 10:02 PM
of course it's overpriced, but there's definitely a market for it. Just saying that they'd get more business if they lowered prices. That's all. I have a feeling the high prices reflect r and d costs, not the actual labor of upgrading the CPU.

Heb1228
Feb 20, 2006, 10:10 PM
Mac upgrades are always overpriced, but if someone has a 1 - 1.33 ghz powerbook, $500 might buy you another year of solid life for the powerbook until you finally want to make the plunge to newer rev macbooks.
Yeah I agree. When my Applecare runs out in October or so, if I could bump from 1.33 to 2.0 for $300-$400, I might go for it. Especially if Apple continues to not include FW800 on MacBooks! And if its still going to be a few months until all the apps I use are universal binaries.

My question would be if FSB speed remains the same (I think 167 MHz) does the increased clock speed really have that much of an impact on performance? Doesn't it just kind of create a system bottleneck?

California
Feb 20, 2006, 10:37 PM
Yeah I agree. When my Applecare runs out in October or so, if I could bump from 1.33 to 2.0 for $300-$400, I might go for it. Especially if Apple continues to not include FW800 on MacBooks! And if its still going to be a few months until all the apps I use are universal binaries.

My question would be if FSB speed remains the same (I think 167 MHz) does the increased clock speed really have that much of an impact on performance? Doesn't it just kind of create a system bottleneck?

Call Daystar and tell 'em about our thread and ask them the FSB question. Then ask if you can get a discount if five other MR members get the upgrade. I can't do it now because my PB was only purchased in December, but there have got to be other people out there who'd do it.

They do very very fine work -- as I said I had three Tibooks upgraded. All great great great.

Jovian9
Feb 20, 2006, 10:48 PM
That is even better then the MacBook Pro 2.13GHz CTO... =.)

from www.barefeats.com

February 15th, 2006: Daystar announces up to 2.0GHz upgrade for Aluminum G4 PowerBooks.

The base price of $499 includes all parts and labor.

PowerBook G4 15": 1.0, 1.25, 1.33 upgraded to 1.92 GHz
PowerBook G4 15": 1.5 is upgraded to 2.0 GHz
PowerBook G4 17": 1.33 upgraded to 1.92 GHz
PowerBook G4 17": 1.5 is upgraded to 2.0 GHz

No upgrades for the 12" PB line:(

Lord Blackadder
Feb 20, 2006, 11:10 PM
I'm not surprised about this - Daystar has had the 1.92GHz upgrade for the iMac G4 for a while now, and they specialize in PowerBook upgrades.

It isn't very cheap but having the option to upgrade is always a good thing - contrary to what a lot of people on this board who've already written the PowerPC off think, it has quite a bit of life in it yet. Just ask all the people out there who are still using 8-year old G3 PowerBooks.:)

California
Feb 21, 2006, 01:46 AM
No upgrades for the 12" PB line:(

No go on the Daystar sight --- there ARE 12" PB upgrades -- they just run $699!!!:eek:

daystartech
Mar 3, 2006, 10:43 PM
I am more interested in what PowerLogix may have to offer. PoweLogix is supposed to be launching PowerPC G4 7448 processor upgrades that clock as high as 2Ghz and double the L2 cache to a full 1MB. The 7448 should also run considerably cooler than the current 7447 G4.

Well, Daystar has been testing, and has actually shipped (wow, before announcing... unlike PowerLogix and their PR-ware) a 7448 in a PowerBook 1.67 GHz system.

Now for some facts...

The 7448 will not work in slower Powerbooks (1.0 GHz - 1.5 GHz) due to pin-out limitations. And while on PowerBooks... note that PowerLogix has never shipped a successful PowerBook upgrade (see http://xlr8yourmac.com cpu customer reviews).

Also, just to clarify, the 7448 is limited in re-specifying to higher speeds. It is limited to 1.4v. and is currently limited to a max of 1.83 GHz. 2.0 GHz is currently unrealistic.

daystartech
Mar 3, 2006, 10:46 PM
No go on the Daystar sight --- there ARE 12" PB upgrades -- they just run $699!!!:eek:

The cost for the 12" is due to labor. Apple decided to put the 12" logic board completely under everything else. The price though is $599, for 1.83 GHz. Still very rich, but simply a reflection of the costs.

Gary Daily
Daystar
http://daystar-tech.com

PowerbookMad
Mar 4, 2006, 04:21 PM
A processor update is all well and good in a Powerbook and the daystar ones are quite attractive, but I would only buy a 7448. The 7447A is OLD!!

tristan
Mar 4, 2006, 05:02 PM
I agree with the OP - $500 for a 0.33 or 0.5 ghz G4 upgrade that voids your warranty isn't exactly the deal of the century.

Don't get me wrong - I'm glad to know its out there. With all the hype about the MacBook Pro, its nice to know that my Powerbook G4 still has an upgrade path. But 90% of us who own PBG4s will replace it with a new MBP within 2-3 years. Especially if the next generation of Intel chips are as good as is currently predicted.

Tilmitt
Mar 4, 2006, 05:10 PM
Well, Daystar has been testing, and has actually shipped (wow, before announcing... unlike PowerLogix and their PR-ware) a 7448 in a PowerBook 1.67 GHz system.

Now for some facts...

The 7448 will not work in slower Powerbooks (1.0 GHz - 1.5 GHz) due to pin-out limitations. And while on PowerBooks... note that PowerLogix has never shipped a successful PowerBook upgrade (see http://xlr8yourmac.com cpu customer reviews).

Also, just to clarify, the 7448 is limited in re-specifying to higher speeds. It is limited to 1.4v. and is currently limited to a max of 1.83 GHz. 2.0 GHz is currently unrealistic.

Yeah I'm definitely going to get one of those! 7448! Imagine how cool it'd be to have one of those......!

Little Endian
Mar 4, 2006, 05:50 PM

Now for some facts...

I just checked you are correct that 7448 seems to be limited to 1.83Ghz at the moment and PowerLogix has still to ship a 7448 Upgrade kit.

I still think it would have been better for Apple to ship one more G4 based PowerBook with this chip as it would have given us better performance in many cases than a Core Duo and run cooler too.

Abstract
Mar 4, 2006, 10:35 PM

(unimportant drivel)

What if you have a perfectly good 1.25 GHz G4 15" PB, want a faster laptop, don't want the 15" MBP because you don't want software running under Rosetta (eg: Photoshop), and oh, you don't want to spend $2000 for a 15" MBP when it might only be equally as fast running your current software when compared to a 15" PowerBook with this $500 upgrade? That's a lot of money saved for possibly similar performance, depending on what software you use.

Doesn't sound stupid to me, genius.

Also, Farside didn't "flame" you. You're too soft if you think that was flaming.

tristan
Mar 4, 2006, 11:08 PM
I still think it would have been better for Apple to ship one more G4 based PowerBook with this chip as it would have given us better performance in many cases than a Core Duo and run cooler too.

Huh? I would think a Core Duo would smoke any G4 on native apps - especially since it has a real FSB.

EDIT: I just checked Mac Specs - AlBook goes back to 09/2003, when they sold 1 and 1.25ghz. So yeah, for these machines that are almost out of warranty and far below 2.0 ghz, I guess this upgrade could be worth it. And you could put 2 gigs of RAM in. But you'd still have a 167 mhz bus though, which means that real geeks would bully you on the playground.

RGunner
Mar 5, 2006, 08:50 AM
Gary,

Thanks for taking the time to visit the Macrumors Site.. you are very welcome here!!

Best from Anchorage,
Robert G.

Little Endian
Mar 5, 2006, 09:19 AM
Huh? I would think a Core Duo would smoke any G4 on native apps - especially since it has a real FSB.

EDIT: I just checked Mac Specs - AlBook goes back to 09/2003, when they sold 1 and 1.25ghz. So yeah, for these machines that are almost out of warranty and far below 2.0 ghz, I guess this upgrade could be worth it. And you could put 2 gigs of RAM in. But you'd still have a 167 mhz bus though, which means that real geeks would bully you on the playground.

True a Core Duo would smoke any G4 with SMP aware Native apps on it's side.....but what if the Apps you most rely on are not native now. Some Apps may not be available natively till up to a year from now and worst yet some favorite Apps, older ones in particular may never go Universal binary. As for the Apps that do go UB of which most will, how many will require an upgrade that will cost $$.

The Core Duo is faster than the G4 in Native UB apps mostly because of it's Dual cores not because of it's FSB. The Core Duo's Clock speed advantage 1.83 vs 1.67Ghz and 4x advantage in cache over the current G4 also plays a greater role in performance than the FSB difference. Core Duo notebooks also have the faster X1600 GPU on it's side.

To exemplify this lets look at performance of a 1.5Ghz Intel Core solo to a 1.42Ghz G4 in the Mac mini.

http://www.macworld.com/2006/03/firstlooks/minibenchmarks/index.php

If we take away the Dual core advantage and GPU advantage the Intel does not perform very well as seen with the mini. In the Core solo mini Intel still has 80Mhz of CPU clock speed, 2MB of L2 cache and it's 667Mhz FSB still in it's favor over the 1.42Ghz G4 mini with it's 512Kb L2 and 167Mhz FSB. However the G4 1.42 mini beats the Core Solo Mini in all tests except "Cinema 4D" where Core Solo has a 50% advantage and "Zip archive" where it performs 15% faster than the G4 mini. Note that itunes, imovie, and Unreal are Universal Binary but the G4 still beat the faster on paper Core solo. Core for Core Clock for clock the G4 and G5 are almost on par if not faster than the current intel Chips that Apple is using.

If you look really hard into the many published benchmarks I think you will see that many users would be better off in the "here and now" with an updated Powerbook G4 from Apple via 1.83Ghz 7448 G4 w/1MB L2 cache, 200Mhz FSB and a nice X1600 GPU. I could explain further but basically if such a mythical Powerbook was built the Core Duo would only "smoke it" in SMP aware applications that are Universal Binary. In all other cases as in Single threaded apps Universal binary or not and with non native apps such a powerbook would come close to matching the Core Duo's performance if not beat it outright.

Amuraivel
Mar 6, 2006, 01:26 PM
How does the mod for a 12" exactly work?

Is it a chip upgrade?

Is it an overclock?

Is it a system board replacement?
(If it were this can I send you an empy 12" case and you fill it with 1.83/1.92 G4 goodness?)

Anonymous Freak
Mar 6, 2006, 01:54 PM

If this upgrade was available for 12" PowerBook G4s, I would have seriously considered this upgrade instead of buying a MacBook Pro. I have a rev.a 12" PB G4 (867 MHz,) that really does work just fine, albiet slow. Between a 2.3x processor speed increase and a 7200 RPM hard drive (that I got dirt cheap, but put in my PeeCee laptop because I knew the MacBook Pro was already on its way,) my 12" PB would have felt like a new machine. And for 1/4 the price of the MacBook Pro.

Love that quote, by the way.

xPismo
Apr 11, 2006, 01:06 PM
Interesting info. Does anyone have an upgraded Powerbook yet?

I'm on the fence. My Pismo died a sad death due to a powerlogix G4 upgrade... but 1.92 would be nice... althought I would probably down grade the speed to 1.7Ghz to get below the OEM heat & wattage numbers.

Mmm, faster and better battery life and cooler to boot? Sounds like fun.