PDA

View Full Version : iBook Start-Up Issue

Vedran
Feb 18, 2006, 12:55 PM
Okay, so this happens occasionally on my iBook G4(the last one). But It would go to sleep and sometimes I wanna wake it up. I can hear the little mechanical movment on the inside but the screen never comes on. Then I hold the power button to turn it off and its all good. When I power it on, The spinning gear crashes on the 3rd or sometimes 7th spin. If I keep restarting it, it will eventually start working again. But its so embarassing when I am in class and the apple start up noise is coming out like 50 times before I can get it run. What should I do?

joshysquashy
Feb 18, 2006, 01:00 PM
if u mute the sound it will stop the startup sound. as for the cause we probs need more info, but it sounds like a hardware problem, how old is it? perhaps a repair is in order?

mkrishnan
Feb 18, 2006, 01:04 PM
A few things to check:

1) Run disk utility, repair your permissions (just in case), and make sure the disk SMART status is verified.

2) Spotlight the file "panic.log" and see what it has in it... look for entries timestamped for when this happened to you.

3) Do you have anything that's intended to modify system performance or run constantly in the background (such as the "haxies" from Unsanity, anti-virus or other monitoring software, special drivers such as an alternate trackpad driver, etc)? If so, list 'em.

Vedran
Feb 18, 2006, 01:44 PM
I did do the permissions check and repair, my teacher told me it might do it. But It didnt. I tried spotlighting "panic.log" its not coming up at all. I dont have any irregular software, I got Office, Virtual PC, Adobe Suite and yeah thats pretty much it. No security software or anything. The computer is like 3 months old. I got it from Best Buy, and i got the extended warranty on it. ;) In order to get it replaced when the Intel one comes out, It must be repaired three times or I gotta like work it real good just once. How do I get rid of this annoying problem?

mkrishnan
Feb 18, 2006, 06:27 PM
If you don't even have a panic.log file... your system went down fast, when it went down. Hmmm... sounds like it's probably hardware. One more thing, though, is resetting the power management unit and the non-volatile memory. Instructions:

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=14449

2nyRiggz
Feb 18, 2006, 06:31 PM
Yes it might be a HD problem you got there....i would take it back before it completely puts out on you and u are stuck with nothing.

Bless