PDA

View Full Version : mac and pc in one box

mnkeybsness
Jan 21, 2003, 01:41 PM
http://www.techtv.com/screensavers/supergeek/story/0,24330,3413988,00.html

check it out...this would be very expensive...i don't see why they didn't just build a pc in another box and hide it in the closet so you don't have to look at it's ugliness...and then bought a powermac to keep on the desk...then just buy the usb kvm switch

MacsRgr8
Jan 21, 2003, 01:56 PM
Has been done before...like the PowerMac 6100 with 486 SX 33 Mhz compatibility card... or the PCI Pentium 166 MMX PC compatibility card.
They were pretty expensive, and did not really sell too well.
They were fun though :)

Over Achiever
Jan 21, 2003, 02:24 PM
I must say that it looks like an interesting idea.

Now if the LCD was an 23" or even a 40" LCD TV that supported PIP...just think.

You're working on a dual processor setup, have a little window running a fast PC, and another little window watching cable TV or playstation, whatever. Interesting idea I must say:)

Then again, i need to be filthy rich with nothing to do. But if i'm rich, then why would I even make a dual operating system computer when I can buy the high end from both types, an awesome LCD, and a killer plasma TV. ^_^

iShater
Jan 21, 2003, 03:31 PM
Wow!

That is pretty cool!

Now here is my question, would that thing fit inside a PowerMac? if so, I think it would be a great alternative to VPC in the sense that you have a fast machine available withing your system.

Of course, what would still suck is the integration between the two the way VPC can integrate the clipboard and do file sharing.

Thoughts? anybody got money and a PM and the will to try this on a system and give us the result?

I wonder if this company can find a new market for its products for switchers "Still need a little PC in your Mac?" :D

mnkeybsness
Jan 21, 2003, 08:34 PM
it would definately NOT fit in a powermac

snoopy
Jan 21, 2003, 10:11 PM
I know a software developer who bought an x86 PCI card for his Mac, and would toggle back and forth while developing both versions, Mac and PC, at once. He said it saved time since he caught problems immediately. He never had to "port" one version to the other, and kept everything on one hard drive. Anyway, maybe nobody is making these cards today. The developer quit doing Windows, and stopped installing the card when he got new Macs. I believe his was made by Orange Micro.