PDA

View Full Version : Ever wanted to live in Banff?

dornoforpyros
Feb 18, 2006, 09:39 PM
In case you've ever wondered what it would be like to live in Banff, Alberta this is what the last 5 months have looked like through my eyes & lens.

September 2005 - February 2006 (http://www.jasondorn.com/collection/)

OnceUGoMac
Feb 18, 2006, 09:47 PM
I like it. Pristine.

iSaint
Feb 18, 2006, 10:07 PM
Beautimous area! Especially the snowbunnies!

cslewis
Feb 18, 2006, 10:10 PM
I'd have to say that pic number 6 was my favorite. Keep up the great work! You're an excellent photographer.

Danksi
Feb 18, 2006, 10:32 PM
In case you've ever wondered what it would be like to live in Banff, Alberta this is what the last 5 months have looked like through my eyes & lens.

September 2005 - February 2006 (http://www.jasondorn.com/collection/)

Waves from just the other side of the Rockies.. :cool:

iMeowbot
Feb 18, 2006, 10:37 PM
It's a pretty area! Is it mandatory to lick skis there?

dornoforpyros
Feb 18, 2006, 10:50 PM

It's the ski shot! look close, there's holes cut in the ski and shot glasses sitting in them...and yes it is mandatory :D

bursty
Feb 18, 2006, 10:57 PM
I'm pretty sure they were taking a shot. :)

snak-pak
Feb 18, 2006, 11:51 PM
Some really artistic photos in your collection, I am impressed. You're a great photographer. I used to live in Calgary, so I know the Banff area pretty well. I'm in Montreal now... nice city but the culture is much less inviting.

Did you write your own slideshow software? I love how it fills the screen exactly with each photo. If the software is available somewhere, please let me know. I use the Gallery server-side software (written in PHP), and there's a plugin for iPhoto that makes publishing photos really slick. But it doesn't have the same finesse as your slideshow software.

Cheers,

snak-pak

dornoforpyros
Feb 19, 2006, 12:04 AM
Some really artistic photos in your collection, I am impressed. You're a great photographer. I used to live in Calgary, so I know the Banff area pretty well. I'm in Montreal now... nice city but the culture is much less inviting.

Did you write your own slideshow software? I love how it fills the screen exactly with each photo. If the software is available somewhere, please let me know. I use the Gallery server-side software (written in PHP), and there's a plugin for iPhoto that makes publishing photos really slick. But it doesn't have the same finesse as your slideshow software.

Cheers,

snak-pak

Hey Thanks! I actually lived in Calgary for a year before ending up in Banff and I do plan on getting back out to Cow-town some day, perhaps when ski season ends.

As for the software, it's written in flash using XML to pull in external jpgs. I used the basic code from the macromedia tutorial here (http://www.macromedia.com/support/flash/applications/jpeg_slideshow_xml/)

As for the full screen I used this tutorial (http://www.tutorio.com/tutorial/liquid-flash-layout) for a liquid layout as they call it.

I had to do some tweaking of my own but most of the code I got from those 2 sources.

comictimes
Feb 19, 2006, 12:26 AM
wow.... really beautiful...

And those pictures of the slopes made me REALLY want to go skiing again, and I won't get to for AT LEAST 2 weeks :( :(

dornoforpyros
Feb 19, 2006, 12:28 AM
wow.... really beautiful...

And those pictures of the slopes made me REALLY want to go skiing again, and I won't get to for AT LEAST 2 weeks :( :(

well not to brag too much...but my job comes with a free ski pass and I get out at-least once a week...sometimes more

Chundles
Feb 19, 2006, 05:03 AM
I spent much of last year living just up the road at Lake Louise.

Gorgeous area - shame about the season....

onemacmini
Feb 19, 2006, 12:05 PM
I took a trip from the uk and satyed at banff in. what a wonderful place!! went sking just up the road at lake louise lovely too. massive wood lodge!