Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ArcTeryx

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 17, 2006
Someone called me today and BAM the ipod damn near blew out my shure E3's and killed me.
I repeated it a few times and apparently when my GSM phone is active, if it gets within 2-3 inches of my ipod, the RF going through the air makes the click wheel go crazy and it makes the volume swing back and forth violently.
That'll wake you up to have your ipod go from 15% volume to 100% in a second.

Try this yourself, put your headphones on, start playing the song at around 25% volume or so, then make a call on your cell phone and put it near the ipod with the hold switch off.

I think if I were to write the next firmware, I'd release a patch that would limit the speed that you can ramp up the volume at but leave the ramp down alone.

stoid

macrumors 601
I hear what you say, and all that comes to mind is that it would be awesome fun to make a call on your cell phone on a crowded train or walking down a crowded street and hold the phone near someone elses iPod!

danny_w

macrumors 601
Mar 8, 2005
Cumming, GA
Thanks for the tip. GSM phones, even when idle, interfere with computer speakers, so it is not that surprising, but it is good to know about. Whenever anybody with a GSM phone comes into my office at work my speakers go crazy with static. It is not just my speakers either because it happens to everybody else too. Some phone models seem to be worse than others. That is one reason that I have stuck with CDMA (Sprint) up 'til now, but reception at my office is so bad that I will be switching when my contract is up in May.

ArcTeryx

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 17, 2006
Thank god I don't have a razor otherwise this would be happening all the time.
It'd be so tempting to put the razor and ipod in the same pocket since they're both so thin and small.

At first I thought making a GSM band noise generator was cool just to shut people up on the subway or restaurants who are yapping... but now I see another use... hehehe.

Kernow

macrumors 65816
Sep 30, 2005
Kingston-Upon-Thames
Found this out the hard way a couple of weeks ago. I fell asleep listening to the iPod in bed with both my iPod and phone on the bedside cabinet next to each other, and got a nasty surprise when my girlfriend rang to come and pick her up from the station.

AppleTalk Aust

macrumors newbie
Feb 17, 2006
Australia
Yes this happened to me on the bus the other day. Here I was listening to Blink 182 when suddenly the volume went down then way up. I actually yelled out "Yah!!" attracting some attention. :eek: I won't be leaving my mobile phone on inside my bag again.

bartelby

macrumors Core
Jun 16, 2004
In work I used to put my phone on top of my iPod. When a text message came through it started my iPod playing even though it was on Hold!

It took 2 messages for me to learn.

Applespider

macrumors G4
When I go past the MI6 building in London with my iPod on, there's a lot of interference in the tracks - I've always assumed it was the range of devices sitting on their roof.

I've never noticed my phone setting it off before - and they usually are in the same bag.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.