PDA

View Full Version : PowerBook G3 Battery Calculating...

stoid
Feb 18, 2006, 11:36 PM
I recently acquired a PowerBook G3. Everything is sweet, except for a minor battery problem. The battery indicator always says "Calculating... remaining" whenever I'm charging or using the battery. It gives an accurate percentage, and is otherwise functional. I've tried cycling the battery, and I've reset the PMU, but that has not fixed it. Has anyone else experienced a similar problem? Solutions/ideas? Thanks all!

mad jew
Feb 18, 2006, 11:39 PM
How long do you give it? My iBook does the same for the first thirty seconds or so after waking from sleep. :)

stoid
Feb 18, 2006, 11:43 PM
I am aware of the normal calculation times, via my PowerBook G4 ;)

However, the PowerBook G3 always says calculating. Right now, I've been using it for nearly 20 minutes, and it still says calulating.

stoid
Feb 19, 2006, 12:15 AM
Well, strike two more things off the list...

PRAM reset = not fixed
Open Firmware reset (>reset-nvram>set-defaults>reset-all) = not fixed

The battery still holds a great charge, so I don't think it's a battery, maybe just a bug in OS X?

calebjohnston
Feb 19, 2006, 01:09 AM
i have a similar problem with my ibook, it likes to calculate endlessly. i wouldnt worry about it.

looooooooooney old macs.

shorty116
Feb 20, 2006, 02:36 AM
this is a common problem with g3 ibooks as well. i have the exact same problem and tried everything. if you do a search on apple discussion forums you'll see that many people tried to fix this. but if resetting the pram and recalibrating the battery (fully discharge and charge again to full without playing around with your book) doesn't work only a new battery will do it. but it would be foolish since your (and mine as well) still has a good battery life.