Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mvc

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 11, 2003
Outer-Roa
Hi All

I just want to raise a discussion point regarding threads pertaining to OSX on PC. I realise that running OSX on PC constitutes a breach of the licence agreement and => is illegal, but the issue is of major interest to the future of of the platform and probably constitutes a very valid subject for discussion on this particular forum.

A thread was closed yesterday which showed an example of OSX running on PC, and I wonder if we need to find a way to discuss the implications of this sort of thing without it disappearing in knee-jerk legalism. I recognise the forum rules on "pirated" software, but I wonder if we need to set a different rule in place for this specific and very important current issue.

I feel it is not as simple as a mere case of piracy, the issue is much deeper
and needs to be addressed at an appropriate level, not ignored or side stepped for convenience.

Your thoughts on how we should proceed?

clayj

macrumors 604
Jan 14, 2005
visiting from downstream
Given Apple's recent litigious nature when it comes to web sites that disclose Apple's secrets (e.g., ThinkSecret), I don't blame arn one iota for wanting to do anything that avoids undue attention from Apple. Discussing how to break Apple's license agreements and run software where it ain't supposed to be run (e.g., FrontRow on machines that don't come with it, OS X on PCs, etc.) is more likely to attract that sort of attention.

Obviously, it's arn's call, and I'll support whatever decision he comes to.

PlaceofDis

macrumors Core
Jan 6, 2004
gotta say that since it is illegal there shouldn't be any discussion of this going on. why talk about how to do it etc if its a breach of license.

now if you wanted to start a thread to discuss the implications of how this will affect OS X and Apple in general, by all means go right ahead.

if you want to discuss the illegal activity of using OS X on non-Apple hardware, well there are other forums just for that if you need to talk about it that much.

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Lard
PlaceofDis said:
gotta say that since it is illegal there shouldn't be any discussion of this going on. why talk about how to do it etc if its a breach of license.

now if you wanted to start a thread to discuss the implications of how this will affect OS X and Apple in general, by all means go right ahead.

if you want to discuss the illegal activity of using OS X on non-Apple hardware, well there are other forums just for that if you need to talk about it that much.

This is exactly my feeling, but capitalised and properly punctuated. :D

It's important to do what's right and I think that anyone would be upset if someone else were stealing from them, so I don't think it's necessary to support piracy by talking about how well it works here and there.

whocares

macrumors 65816
Oct 9, 2002
:noitаɔo˩
PlaceofDis said:
I've got to say that since it is illegal, there shouldn't be any discussion of this going on. Why talk about how to do it etc. if its a breach of license?

Now if you wanted to start a thread to discuss the implications of how this will affect OS X, and Apple in general, by all means go right ahead.

If you want to discuss the illegal activity of using OS X on non-Apple hardware, well there are other forums just for that if you need to talk about it that much.

Capitalisation courtesy of whocares. Bousozuko, invoice is in your message box. ;) :p :D

mvc

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 11, 2003
Outer-Roa
PlaceofDis said:

It is the implications I am refering to, as is obvious from my original post, my point being that in many ways it is impossible to discuss the situation without reference to and commentary by those who are actually doing it.

I suppose I am seeking guidelines for the moderation of any future threads: i.e Will the input of a known/confessed "offender" give cause to close a thread discussing the implications of this subject?

I am not for one moment suggesting a how-to in the guides, I merely want to ensure we are not opting for knee-jerk global censorship. I personally have no PC to run OSX on, but that doesn't disqualify me from being concerned about the possible detrimental effect this development might have. Or any possible future benefits that might arise. This needs to be able to be discussed.

arn

macrumors god
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
mvc said:
Hi All

I just want to raise a discussion point regarding threads pertaining to OSX on PC. I realise that running OSX on PC constitutes a breach of the licence agreement and => is illegal, but the issue is of major interest to the future of of the platform and probably constitutes a very valid subject for discussion on this particular forum.

I'm not sure which thread was closed... but I think discussion of it should be fine. As with all topics that are illegal... we aren't here to police individual behavior. You are responsible for your own actions. Discussion on these topics are generally fine. MacRumors simply can't be the vehicle or participant in illegal activities.

As for running OS X on PC machines. I think discussion of it is fine. For the time being, exactly how to accomplish it is probably in the taboo area. Direct links to patches or binaries should certainly not be allowed, based on what's been taken place with OSX86Project. As for general links to tutorials, it's a little unclear.

Discussions about people who do it, or if you have done it yourself, is probably fine as well.

arn

mvc

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 11, 2003
Outer-Roa
arn said:
I'm not sure which thread was closed... but I think discussion of it should be fine. As with all topics that are illegal... we aren't here to police individual behavior. You are responsible for your own actions. Discussion on these topics are generally fine. MacRumors simply can't be the vehicle or participant in illegal activities.

As for running OS X on PC machines. I think discussion of it is fine. For the time being, exactly how to accomplish it is probably in the taboo area. Direct links to patches or binaries should certainly not be allowed, based on what's been taken place with OSX86Project. As for general links to tutorials, it's a little unclear.

Discussions about people who do it, or if you have done it yourself, is probably fine as well.

arn

Thanks for the clarification Arn :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.