PDA

View Full Version : Bush gives 6,000lb+ SUV buyers up to $75,000 tax break!

peter2002
Jan 21, 2003, 06:21 PM
Hey, it has never been a better time to get a 3 ton Hummer H2 or a 4 ton Hummer H1. Bush's new tax plan will give buisnessman that buy such vehicles up to $75,000 in tax write-offs. No lie.

However, buyers of such enviro friendly hybrid cars like the 54 mpg Toyota Prius that put out virtually no smog will only get a $2,000 tax break.

Interesting...

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&u=/usatoday/20030121/bs_usatoday/4795095

alset
Jan 21, 2003, 06:39 PM
Well, that's exactly what we need! More fuel-guzzling machines creating safety hazards on the road. I'm so excited!

Interesting note: In San Francisco I read an article in a pop-culture news magazine calling for restrictions within the law to minimize these vehicles. Too bad it's unlikely to happen.

Dan

edit: I wonder if this has anything to do with Bush's love of the oil industry?

howard
Jan 21, 2003, 06:44 PM
hmm more fuel guzzled means more money for those texan fuel companys. why doesn't he start a fuel burning campaign next? after all theres plenty coming in from the middle east...right? HA what did this country get into by electing that stupid stupid man. alot of people want a leader they can relate to, i truly pity those people now.

ibjoshua
Jan 21, 2003, 07:25 PM
Originally posted by alset
Well, that's exactly what we need! More fuel-guzzling machines creating safety hazards on the road. I'm so excited!

Interesting note: In San Francisco I read an article in a pop-culture news magazine calling for restrictions within the law to minimize these vehicles. Too bad it's unlikely to happen.

Dan

edit: I wonder if this has anything to do with Bush's love of the oil industry? I see on slashdot that SF has banned the Segway on footpaths too.
:(

i_b_joshua

Kid Red
Jan 21, 2003, 07:47 PM
Originally posted by howard
hmm more fuel guzzled means more money for those texan fuel companys. why doesn't he start a fuel burning campaign next? after all theres plenty coming in from the middle east...right? HA what did this country get into by electing that stupid stupid man. alot of people want a leader they can relate to, i truly pity those people now.

Technically, we the people did not elect him, we elected Gore. Gore not only won the popular vote, he also won the vote in Florida after they did a recount. However, State Attorney Catherine Harris, a republican, disallowed those votes giving the victory to Bush.

So, no one elected him, the republicans stole the election in front of everyone and there's been no fuss made about it. That amazes me more.

vniow
Jan 21, 2003, 07:51 PM
Oh no, not the Floriduh votes argument again!

MrMacMan
Jan 21, 2003, 08:07 PM
Originally posted by Kid Red

Technically, we the people did not elect him, we elected Gore. Gore not only won the popular vote, he also won the vote in Florida after they did a recount. However, State Attorney Catherine Harris, a republican, disallowed those votes giving the victory to Bush.

So, no one elected him, the republicans stole the election in front of everyone and there's been no fuss made about it. That amazes me more.

OMG, if you need to rant CREATE a thread about how bush stole the election.
Not here, not now, please.

Originally posted by vniow
Oh no, not the Floriduh votes argument again!

:slaps head:
OH NO!

howard
Jan 21, 2003, 08:17 PM
winning florida or not isn't my point, my point is that he got so many votes that the florida controversy made it able to swing the election in his direction. What should of happened is the public should have laughed at the idea of having this buffoon as president, and even though i don't think he would have been the best in the world (certainly 1 millian times better than bush) elected Gore

e-coli
Jan 21, 2003, 08:41 PM
The only way George Bush's economic policy could be any worse would be if he gave tax breaks to companies that produce freon in large quantities.

Juventuz
Jan 21, 2003, 08:58 PM
Actually, that Yahoo story is wrong. It's not part of Bush's tax plan.

You see back in the 1980's Congress tightened rules about how much money can be written off on luxury automobiles used for business -- but excluded vehicles with a gross weight of 6,000 pounds or more, partly an attempt to help farmers afford tractors, large trucks and other heavy equipment.

It's not $75,000 either, it comes out to $38,000. A new H2's MSRP is $48,800 for the base model.

This loophole still exists and it applies to the H2's.

This was already posted last week by MSNBC

http://www.msnbc.com/local/pisea/104601.asp

brogers
Jan 21, 2003, 09:59 PM
Ok...here goes. Example: I make roughly $50,000 a year more than my closest friend. I also pay a boat load more taxes than him. If Bush, Clinton, Gore or whomever you like cuts taxes 5% (simple I know) then who do you think is going to get the better deal.

Also, me and my buddy go to lunch everyday and I buy the more expensive $20.00 steak and my buddy gets the cheaper $10.00 steak. One day the manager thanks us for our patronage and decides to give us a 10% deal from now on. I save more than my buddy. Shame on me!!

Maybe we should figure out a way keep the rich paying the thier same taxes because they can afford it, and give bigger breaks to the people who pay the least in taxes. There seems to be a perception out there that rich people don't pay taxes. I know a lot of rich people and let me tell you, they pay hard and heavy. I also have some friends that don't make that much and don't pay that much yet they always seem to get theirs back. Seems backwards....no?

This is a simple approach I know, so flame away. But while your at it, I'm hoping for a little break because I am getting nailed in taxes. Oh, wait. Serves me right...I'm rich.

xlemming
Jan 21, 2003, 11:09 PM
Did you guys read the news? Remember back when they started the recount, they were also finding chads on the ground of the counting areas. Remeber that after the recount was called off, the media did their own recount. If you do not recall Bush did win the media's recount, and don't try and tell me that the media has a conservative bias.
If you also look back in the history books there have been rigged elections before, the JFK-Nixon election was extremely questionable, but it was not questioned. This is because such a questioning would divide the country, and put it into doubt. Many presidents have had this happen before, only Gore stooped low enough to try and swing it.

moby1
Jan 21, 2003, 11:26 PM
Originally posted by xlemming
If you also look back in the history books there have been rigged elections before, the JFK-Nixon election was extremely questionable, but it was not questioned. This is because such a questioning would divide the country, and put it into doubt. Many presidents have had this happen before, only Gore stooped low enough to try and swing it.

No doubt but how is questioning a questionable tally "stooping low"?

Many Americans felt they were due an explanation on the Florida count.

moby1

Backtothemac
Jan 22, 2003, 11:05 AM
God dammit I am tired of the media, their lies, and the people who are to silly to understand things. This is not part of his tax plan. What it is, is a program that allows and encourages small buisness owners to buy new transportation methods for their companies. You need a new truck but otherwise would not buy it, so you now get a tax writeoff for it, so bamm you buy it. That stimulates the economy.

Jesus, some people just don't get it!

j763
Jan 22, 2003, 12:14 PM
I can't see how anyone could actually vote for bush -- he's a national embarrasment.

George W. Bush "It's amazing I won. I was running against peace and prosperity." -- Speaking to the Sweedish Prime Minister, unaware that a live television camera was rolling.

Juventuz
Jan 22, 2003, 01:13 PM
Originally posted by j763
I can't see how anyone could actually vote for bush -- he's a national embarrasment.

George W. Bush "It's amazing I won. I was running against peace and prosperity." -- Speaking to the Sweedish Prime Minister, unaware that a live television camera was rolling.

Got a source for that?

Backtothemac
Jan 22, 2003, 02:45 PM
Originally posted by j763

BS. That is the biggest load of BS I have ever heard in my life, and you should be ashamed of yourself for saying it!

Gus
Jan 22, 2003, 03:54 PM
brogers and BacktotheMac have it right.

The rich make more money, yes.
The rich pay more in taxes than I make in a year, yes.
I hate the rich? No.

I want to be rich. Yes.

By the way, before you start to slam the rich, just remember that some of the richest people in the country are on the left. (Hollywood).

I don't know why I am still typing. It is never going to make a difference.

Regards,
Gus