Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jh100000

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 11, 2005
London, UK
I'm looking to develop a browser based database application. Can anyone suggest what technologies I should look at?

Aside from a little bit of tinkering around the edges, I've never developed a website before so I'm completely new to this type of development.

Should I use SQL2005 and the MS .NET stuff or is there something better? Should I be looking at xcode and webobjects and stuff like that? I'm hoping there's something tucked away inside my mac that will do the job.....

CanadaRAM

macrumors G5
1) Please make your posts with titles that are more descriptive of the question This would be our 2176th thread entitled "Newbie question"

2) Cart before the horse: you need to clearly define what you want the application to accomplish before you can start thinking about what language to program it in. Especially if you have never done any web design or programming before. You may wish to hire a programmer to help you put a proper description of the project together and to recommend an approach.

Suffice to say that we here have absolutely no way to know what to recommend without knowing what you need to do.

Mitthrawnuruodo

Moderator emeritus
Mar 10, 2004
Bergen, Norway
I think most people here, including myself, will advice you to use php and mysql. If you don't have very special needs that require you to use MS stuff, open source is the way to go...

Mac OS X also supports both php and mysql, so you can develop everything on your Mac.

I would pick up some books. Search around here at the forums for suggestions, I prefer the good old PHP bible (for PHP4, there's also a PHP5/MySQL bible, but I haven't looked at that, yet) in addition to the above mentioned php.net, but you might want a beginners book, too, if you're completely new to databases and/or web programming.

jh100000

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 11, 2005
London, UK
Apologies for the 2176th thread of the same name. I guess I should have called it something like 'recommend a technology for a database app' or something like that...

I'm working on a project where we have a need for a defect management tool which both the customer and supplier can access. Each can see their own networks but not each others so we need a relatively simple app that everyone can access to enter their defect info.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.