PDA

View Full Version : Sophos poll underlines virus threat to Mac

MacBytes
Feb 19, 2006, 05:11 PM
http://www.macbytes.com/images/bytessig.gif (http://www.macbytes.com)

Category: News and Press Releases
Link: Sophos poll underlines virus threat to Mac (http://www.macbytes.com/link.php?sid=20060219181128)
Description:: A stunning 79 per cent of computer users believe that Macs will be targeted more often in the wake of the Leap-A Trojan.

Posted on MacBytes.com (http://www.macbytes.com)
Approved by Mudbug

zap2
Feb 19, 2006, 05:14 PM
Perhaps, but i bet Apple is preping for this thing not to happen agian, 10.5 will have lots of protection.

cwtnospam
Feb 19, 2006, 05:23 PM
A stunning 79 per cent of computer users believe that Macs will be targeted more often in the wake of the Leap-A Trojan.
Targeted, yes. Successfully attacked? That's another story all together. I doubt there will be more than a handful of attacks more successful than the Leap-A Trojan, which is/was not at all successful, other than as a publicity stunt.

interlard
Feb 19, 2006, 05:29 PM
Shouldn't the headline just read, "Anti-Virus Company Tries to Sell Its Software"?

With the sub-heading, "Advertising agency labels people, 'a hardcore element', just because they said 'umm... no' in survey."

Can industry journals start covering news (with a little intelligent discussion, y'know) and not just these infomercials, please.

Stella
Feb 19, 2006, 06:35 PM
Perhaps, but i bet Apple is preping for this thing not to happen agian, 10.5 will have lots of protection.

Its rather difficult to stop Trojans. People will always run applications they know nothing about...

mduser63
Feb 19, 2006, 07:18 PM
With the sub-heading, "Advertising agency labels people, 'a hardcore element', just because they said 'umm... no' in survey."

This is what bugged me the most. Why even conduct a poll if you're just going to label those that don't answer the way you want to in such a way as to make them seem strange and wrong?

I guess I'd qualify as part of that "hardcore element." I don't think we'll see much of an increase in malware for the Mac. The Leap-A Trojan infected so few computers as to make it irrelevant other than for the media exposure it got. I think it's interesting that just a few days after it was discovered, people are already talking about it as if it were something long in the past because it's not considered a current threat at all anymore.

thegreatluke
Feb 19, 2006, 07:50 PM
I am so fricking pissed by antivirus software companies.

They are blatant liars.

Yes, there is one malicious script that can damage "0-30 Macs." Yes, there is a possibility of a virus coming in to play eventually.

But they lie.

They say there are Mac OS X viruses and spyware and adware.

My dad saw one of these ads apparently, and when I ordered my MacBook Pro the first thing he said was "Okay, let's find yourself some antivirus software."

After I explained to him that there are no Mac OS X viruses, he said "...Yeah, sure." He didn't believe me. He believed the antivirus software writers.

If a Mac virus were ever to come up for us, I'd bet money that the antivirus software writers MADE the Mac virus so they could sell more software.

cwtnospam
Feb 19, 2006, 07:59 PM
If a Mac virus were ever to come up for us, I'd bet money that the antivirus software writers MADE the Mac virus so they could sell more software.
I wouldn't be at all surprised if they are responsible for some of the PC viruses too.

simX
Feb 19, 2006, 11:12 PM
*sigh* This is yet another poll (here's a similar one (http://www.macbytes.com/link.php?sid=20060218143259)) that gets people's irrelevant opinions. Whether or not people think there will be more viruses/trojans/whatevers for the Mac does not affect reality. Every single person on this planet can think that we will get a new virus tomorrow, but that doesn't mean that it will happen.

Bogus, misleading polls. I hate them with a passion.

solvs
Feb 20, 2006, 12:30 AM
Bogus, misleading polls. I hate them with a passion.
Polls are an easy way to say something without actually having to say it. That way you aren't actually lying, just misrepresenting the truth. Sneaky, but effective.

redAPPLE
Feb 20, 2006, 01:10 AM
I wouldn't be at all surprised if they are responsible for some of the PC viruses too.

isn't that an open secret?

greatdevourer
Feb 20, 2006, 01:31 AM
Its rather difficult to stop Trojans. People will always run applications they know nothing about... "Cause there's no patch for human stupidity" (I have a T-shirt with that on :D)

On the subject of AV companies making viruses themselves, I think Symantec had a competition a while ago with a prize, but that dissolved soon after

iJaz
Feb 20, 2006, 05:53 AM
I've heard this for many years now. A trojan every year won't make me run out and buy anti-virus software. :rolleyes:

settledown
Feb 20, 2006, 08:37 AM
why is an anti-virus company running a poll?

polls are for rumor sites not mission critical, business lifelines such as Sophos.

Right?

nagromme
Feb 20, 2006, 10:25 AM
I've always believed Macs would be targeted more, facing attacks up to 1-millionth as much as Windows does ;) One day. But Oomp-A was NOT the start--it lacked the capability to spread over the Internet, only via Bonjour (which is disabled in iChat by default)!

http://www.macworld.com/news/2006/02...llow/index.php

Target me all you want, if your so-called "viruses" aren't even INTERNET ENABLED :D

The irony is that the most ignorant people are the most likely to believe there's some big threat, and stay away from Mac. And they're the very ones who could most benefit from how much more secure and user-friendly a Mac is.

solvs
Feb 20, 2006, 11:12 PM
why is an anti-virus company running a poll?
Read my post above. ;)

CMYanko
Feb 21, 2006, 08:20 AM
I love the characterization that this situation will likely get worse. It can 'only' get worse when you start from zero viruses!!

Stay calm... everyone just stay calm and buy our software.

solvs
Feb 22, 2006, 01:12 AM
Stay calm... everyone just stay calm and buy our software.
I have a stupid question. Would they're software even work for something like this? I mean, Norton warns me of stuff like this on my PC, but would the Mac version have protection against this for those first hit?