PDA

View Full Version : Sound Quality between 4G and 5G

zone5
Feb 19, 2006, 09:11 PM
Just bought my wife the 30G Ipod 5G and found the sound to be "better" than my 40G Ipod 4G. Any thoughts? I ended up updating my 4G ipod software in the process of installing the new itunes that shipped with her unit. Not sure if that did something???? Was really surprised that the identical mp3 sounded better on hers. I actually had BOSE headphones on mine and the generic headphones that ship with ipods on hers. Keep in mind the mp3 is physically the same one (from my library)!

2nyRiggz
Feb 19, 2006, 09:18 PM
don't worry about it your pod will be fine. Well i cant say anything about the sound quality but if you like the 5G better then get yourself one as well and ebay the 4G

Bless

ArcTeryx
Feb 19, 2006, 09:37 PM
Try going over to www.head-fi.org to ask.
But please for the love of god don't mention that you have bose headphones. :)

mopppish
Feb 19, 2006, 09:44 PM
Some of the initial online reviews of the 5G ipod did indeed say that the new one solved some sound issues. I don't know what you could attribute that to, but it makes me glad I waited until the 5G came out before I sunk my money in one. It probably has better (though still mediocre) audio circuitry driving the headphone amp.

thejadedmonkey
Feb 19, 2006, 10:12 PM
I have used a 3rd gen iPod for years, and after it broke I got myself the 1gig nano. I can't say I'm thrilled about the loss of 19 gigs of space, but the first thing I noticed when I plugged the headphones in and listened to an MP3, was "Damn, this sounds good!"

nightdweller25
Feb 19, 2006, 10:22 PM
Apple started having higher quality output with the iPod shuffle and iPod video, can't say anything about the nano though since I'm not sure about that one.

quackattack
Feb 20, 2006, 12:17 AM
The 5G sounds better IMO. The bass doesn't roll off nearly as badly. They did redesign it to sound better, and I can certianly tell a difference.

The best sound quality in the iPod family, beleive it or not, is the shuffle. Hands down.

zone5
Feb 20, 2006, 05:57 AM
Thank u all for the input. I am seriously thinking about going out and getting the 5G. Hard to believe that the diff. would be that apparent!! :-(
Maybe, will just leave the 4G plugged into the iM7!