PDA

View Full Version : Choose an iPod for me...

Cheese
Feb 19, 2006, 11:54 PM
So I finally made the jump and ordered a refurb 20 gig 4th gen iPod. It was only $20 more than a 2G Nano.
1. Did I make a mistake?
2. What choice would you have made?
3. What is the best case / scratch protector for this iPod, and where can I find the case for sale?
4. How does the sound quality compare with the 5th gen and/or the Nano.

I basically got screwed on my iMac G5 when I bought a rev A less than 2 months before Rev B hit the streets. The opinions of everyone at MacRumors are highly regarded as a sure bet. I am trying to pacify my family, who all say I made a bad decision.
Thanx...

Chundles
Feb 20, 2006, 12:11 AM
So I finally made the jump and ordered a refurb 20 gig 4th gen iPod. It was only $20 more than a 2G Nano.
1. Did I make a mistake?
2. What choice would you have made?
3. What is the best case / scratch protector for this iPod, and where can I find the case for sale?
4. How does the sound quality compare with the 5th gen and/or the Nano.

I basically got screwed on my iMac G5 when I bought a rev A less than 2 months before Rev B hit the streets. The opinions of everyone at MacRumors are highly regarded as a sure bet. I am trying to pacify my family, who all say I made a bad decision.
Thanx...

So to stop you getting done over with a new release just after you bought a new system, you decided to just buy an old one and be done with it.

I am a big fan of buying new. If I were looking for a cheap, second iPod to lug around in places I wouldn't want to take a regular one then yeah, I'd get a refurb one (if we had the refurb store here that is). But if I was looking for an iPod to serve as my primary device, I would only, ever buy a brand new one.

I think, if you do not need to carry all your music around with you (as I have discovered is my situation - problem is I have a small HDD so I have to put it all somewhere) then the 2GB or the 4GB if you can stretch that far would be better. The nano is new, fully supported by Apple's iPod software updates - I think the 4G has seen the last of those updates, as has my 3G and since the last bug-fix update, my 2G mini - and it also works with all the current and to-be-released accessories. In my opinion the nano is just gorgeous compared with the 4G - I got to hold one yesterday and it just felt so light and strong and cool. It was fast too, those menus just fly compared to HDD players. I really, really want one now. Replace my 3G with a 60GB 5G and my mini with a 2 or 4GB nano, I also might install some solid gold toilets whilst I'm at it.....:mad: I need cash....

Mind you, the 4G is still a very nice iPod - I just don't think (besides capacity of course) that it can hold a candle to the nano.

ArcTeryx
Feb 20, 2006, 12:26 AM
I say go with the apple moto of simplify and just simply your life by accepting your choice. It's a fine mp3 player, stop second guessing yourself and enjoy it.
The amp for the 5G is slightly cleaner and more powerful but nothing that you're going to dramatically notice unless you have some high end ear buds and do a lot of critical listening (which I don't do often on the go).

Cheese
Mar 1, 2006, 09:36 AM
Here's what I decided to do, and thanks for all the help. I first bought the refurb 4G-20g photo model. Then Shawna's birthday rolled around, and I sprang for the 2g Nano for her. I presented her with the new Nano (along with her other presents), and she said, "I could've bought myself an iPod!". I really don't think the iPod was what she was expecting. Following my usually well working plan of giving someone special that something special you would buy for yourself just didn't work out this time. Anywhoooo, we are now a three iPod family, and at least speaking for myself, life with an iPod is happier and less stressful. Could it be that is what Steve knew an iPod could do all along?
One more thing... Can anyone assist me in finding a souce for more of the stretch-on foam earpod covers? I am goin' through 'em like a free tank of Guinness!!!
Thanx

chaos86
Mar 1, 2006, 01:08 PM
Can anyone assist me in finding a souce for more of the stretch-on foam earpod covers? I am goin' through 'em like a free tank of Guinness!!!

i ride a shuttle bus to uni every day, and looking around, of the ~20 people with ipod earbuds i see each day i havent ever noticed the foam covers. to me, theyre kind of a joke. did you try going commando like everyone else?

achie25
Mar 1, 2006, 01:20 PM
Commando is the only way to roll!! :)

student_trap
May 4, 2006, 05:41 AM
Here's what I decided to do, and thanks for all the help. I first bought the refurb 4G-20g photo model. Then Shawna's birthday rolled around, and I sprang for the 2g Nano for her. I presented her with the new Nano (along with her other presents), and she said, "I could've bought myself an iPod!". I really don't think the iPod was what she was expecting. Following my usually well working plan of giving someone special that something special you would buy for yourself just didn't work out this time. Anywhoooo, we are now a three iPod family, and at least speaking for myself, life with an iPod is happier and less stressful. Could it be that is what Steve knew an iPod could do all along?
One more thing... Can anyone assist me in finding a souce for more of the stretch-on foam earpod covers? I am goin' through 'em like a free tank of Guinness!!!
Thanx

i know this is an uber old thread, but what condition was the ipod in when you recieved it?

Cheese
May 4, 2006, 11:32 PM
It was in pristine condition, but I will clarify further. I expected some wear and tear from previous use, but after extremely close scrutiny, I found not one scratch or superficial mark anywhere on anything that I received. From the experience that I had with the refurb part of the Apple store, I would, and I do refer others to shop there and save. I use my iPod so much that I am being called "iPod Joe" and my name isn't even Joe! Rock on!

Off topic, any thoughts about which team will be this years English football champions. We yanks would enjoy more tv coverage from across the pond. Oh yah, I am 4 Man United, but I like a lot of other teams, so don't hate me.