PDA

View Full Version : IKEA Jerkers!

p0intblank
Feb 20, 2006, 12:07 PM
I'll probably be getting the $99 Jerker at the Philadelphia IKEA store sometime this week. I've been looking at a few setup pics of users that have the same desk over at [H]ard Forum, so I was wondering if anyone here also uses a Jerker. As soon as I get mine, I'll be sure to post pics.

Show me the Jerkers! :p

Xephian
Feb 20, 2006, 12:23 PM
I have one, it's pretty nice. I use two 2005FPW 20.1" widescreen LCD's on one.

russed
Feb 20, 2006, 12:42 PM
not to sound thick but what is an jerker?

p0intblank
Feb 20, 2006, 12:44 PM

For example: http://www.ikea.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?topcategoryId=15600&catalogId=10103&storeId=12&productId=47022&langId=-1&parentCats=15600*15870*16129

That's the one I am getting. I've seen several pics of it in action and man is it huge! :eek: It's exactly what I need.

Xephian, do you have the $99 or $129 model? Also any pics? I would love to see how two widescreen monitors look on it. :D

CanadaRAM
Feb 20, 2006, 12:45 PM
Jerker is one of the endearing (Swedish) yet giggle-producing (English) names that Ikea gives to their products. The one in question is a modular, adjustable steel desk that works quite well as a computer workstation or for small music studio setups.

iPhil
Feb 20, 2006, 12:46 PM

this:

russed
Feb 20, 2006, 12:48 PM
this:

so in other words its a desk? much clearer now! :)

Diavilo1
Feb 20, 2006, 12:59 PM
Looks like just the thing i was looking for! Thanks for saying something about them!

M-theory
Feb 20, 2006, 02:06 PM
my wife and I were IKEA about two weeks ago and we noticed something...

Does anyone else notice that the desks and chairs are designed for short people? [my wife is 5'10" and I am 6'2"]

I love the stuff and the minimalist design but I feel like I'm in the land of Lilliputian.

gekko513
Feb 20, 2006, 02:13 PM
I got an IKEA desk that's too high for me. With the chair adjusted correctly I have too much space available above the legs and my arms need to be hoisted up slightly to rest comfortable. I'm 171cm (5'7" - 5'8" I think). I don't remember the name of the model, but it's the one where you buy just a table plate and add legs of your own choice. I picked the non-adjustable legs and that was a dumb choice, in retrospect.

notjustjay
Feb 20, 2006, 02:29 PM
I have one of those desks, too. I bought the two-drawer unit that goes with in. In fact, I bought two, and mounted drawers on each side. Unfortunately the desk is designed only to let you mount on one side OR the other, but not both. It took a little bit of creative drilling on my part to make it work.

Unfortunately, I drilled my bolt-hole a tiny fraction of an inch too wide, so the bolt slips out, causing one of my drawers to be lop-sided. I'll fix this... eventually..

Mr. Mister
Feb 20, 2006, 02:50 PM
I'm thinking of getting an IKEA desk for my next computer, how are they quality-wise?

XIII
Feb 20, 2006, 02:52 PM

Does anyone else notice that the desks and chairs are designed for short people? [my wife is 5'10" and I am 6'2"]

I love the stuff and the minimalist design but I feel like I'm in the land of Lilliputian.

My desk is height adjustable from Ikea.. I'm 6ft, and I have it on the lowest setting. Just right. :)

Stampyhead
Feb 20, 2006, 03:06 PM
You tall people suck, I always have to have my chair up as high as it can go so I can sit comfortably at the desk, but then my feet don't quite touch the floor. I'm not THAT short (5'6" or thereabouts), but office furniture always makes me feel like a little kid.
The Jerker is nice, I'll probably get one myself.

jrk07
Feb 20, 2006, 03:08 PM
Glad nobody has contributed actual pictures since this is the Picture Gallery forum, haha. :p

Deepdale
Feb 20, 2006, 03:12 PM
so in other words its a desk? much clearer now! :)

I'm hesitant to know what a chair is called in IKEA-land.

clayj
Feb 20, 2006, 03:16 PM
Not a Jerker, but I've had a Poang since 1996:

http://www.ikea.com/PIAimages/37851_PE129808_S3.jpg

Still got an IKEA black leather sofa in my office, from the same timeframe. Say what you will about IKEA, some of their products are really built to last.

Joe2000
Feb 20, 2006, 03:23 PM
LOL, I just got back from IKEA! Seriously, i've just bought the MIKAEL desk (strange name, i know) as it matches my current furniture ;) .

I'm only 15 so I cant really afford a G5 with 30" HD displays atm :( , i've got an iBook G4 and a Snow iMac 600, the MIKAEL desk should accompany my gear fine, i'm thinking of selling my iMac so i've got a good wad of cash for a MacBook :D .

Either way heres the desk i'm getting:

http://www.ikea.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?catalogId=10103&storeId=7&langId=-20&productId=46916

Thanks, Joe.

vniow
Feb 20, 2006, 03:33 PM
I'm thinking of getting an IKEA desk for my next computer, how are they quality-wise?

We had a few of them at work when we moved into our new office (which have since been mostly replaced by some not as attractive and not as high quality as the IKEA ones but fit better with all our equipment) but overall they've served us well, they're pretty scratch resistant, attractive and easy to put together.

Good stuff

Tel
Feb 20, 2006, 04:01 PM
Seems like I can't get away from the place recently :eek:

I work for one of the largest IKEA's in the UK for their quality/recovery and environment department and Jerkers are about the best desk you can get there, right up there with the Galant range, both of which have never had any issues with quality and are made by some of our best suppliers. They're designed and built specifically for heavy business use unlike most of the others which are made of chipboard and have frequent quality issues that need addressing.

If anyone has any questions on their stuff just ask. That does not mean that I can get you staff discount. ;)

Abstract
Feb 20, 2006, 04:13 PM
I went to Ikea last month hoping to get a small rug, but came back with around 8 items and spent way more than I wanted to. :( :mad:

HungrySeacow
Feb 20, 2006, 04:43 PM
I have the Jerker desk. It is very nice, but has two issues though. First, one of the two metal bars screwed onto the bottom of the "wood" top is annoying. I keep my chair fairly high so my eyes would be level with the top of my display. This would cause my legs to sometimes come in contract with the bar. I have since removed that bar and am much happier. The second issue I had was with my Mac Mini and the Dell display I had. When i would type on the keyboard the display would shake up and down. The iMac however is OK. I blame the crappy Dell display :P.

http://www.hungryseacow.com/Personal/DSC01410.JPG

The old mini:
http://www.hungryseacow.com/Personal/DSC01244.jpg

balamw
Feb 20, 2006, 04:59 PM
I feel like I've been surrounded by IKEA furniture for about the past 25 years when they first opened in Switzerland.

IKEA quality is quite good if you stay away from the real low end stuff that only seems to be around for a year. (Which lots of our undergraduate era furniture was). Desks and bookshelves are particularly good deals.

My home office is a sea of Billy bookshelves, and there are many more scattered throughout the house... The Poang chair is a classic, and we picked up a couple of kid sized ones on our last trip there that the kids love.

B

DrEasy
Feb 20, 2006, 05:43 PM
I swear by Ivar... Everything at my place is built on some combination of Ivar items: computer desk, TV shelf, book shelf... It's cheap and versatile, so you get to be creative, it's like playing with Lego.

clayj
Feb 20, 2006, 06:16 PM
SwitzerlandOr was that Sweden?

balamw
Feb 20, 2006, 06:28 PM
Or was that Sweden?
Nope Switzerland. Lived there from '74-'84. The store was about 45 minutes from Geneva.
http://www.ikea.com/ms/en_US/about_ikea/timeline/1970s.html

I was very happy to see IKEA open in MD when we were in that area, and follow us North to MA. They were already in So CA when we got here...

B

Abstract
Feb 20, 2006, 07:10 PM
Or was that Sweden?

Yes yes clay, tell him where he used to live. :p

clayj
Feb 20, 2006, 07:18 PM
Yes yes clay, tell him where he used to live. :pNo, no... he didn't say where he lived until I questioned it. His quote:

"I feel like I've been surrounded by IKEA furniture for about the past 25 years when they first opened in Switzerland."

Strictly read, he could have lived anywhere and just been referring to where IKEA was founded. Besides, it's a fairly common misconception that IKEA is a Swiss company and not a Swedish company... just making sure he wasn't thinking that, too.

;)

balamw
Feb 20, 2006, 07:34 PM
Besides, it's a fairly common misconception that IKEA is a Swiss company and not a Swedish company... just making sure he wasn't thinking that, too.
Yeah. You know we were surrounded by blonde people who spoke Swedish all day and I used to ski to school every day too. ;)

B

2nyRiggz
Feb 20, 2006, 07:41 PM
I want one of those but my apartment is too small...that sucks!

Bless

p0intblank
Feb 20, 2006, 07:57 PM
I have the Jerker desk. It is very nice, but has two issues though. First, one of the two metal bars screwed onto the bottom of the "wood" top is annoying. I keep my chair fairly high so my eyes would be level with the top of my display. This would cause my legs to sometimes come in contract with the bar. I have since removed that bar and am much happier. The second issue I had was with my Mac Mini and the Dell display I had. When i would type on the keyboard the display would shake up and down. The iMac however is OK. I blame the crappy Dell display :P.

Awesome pics. Thanks a lot! :D That desk color looks really nice... but I also want the brown/silver one. I'm trying to decide between the two. Any other pics, people? :)

watcher2001
Feb 20, 2006, 09:30 PM
Not a Jerker, but I've had a Poang since 1996:

http://www.ikea.com/PIAimages/37851_PE129808_S3.jpg

Still got an IKEA black leather sofa in my office, from the same timeframe. Say what you will about IKEA, some of their products are really built to last.

OK, I am trying to decide which I want and you may be able to help. I am looking to buy either

the poang

http://www.ikea.com/PIAimages/22170_PE107052_S3.jpg

and the pello

http://www.ikea.com/PIAimages/38296_PE130209_S3.jpg

They appear to be very similar but the pello is $49 where the poang is $79-99 depending on fabric/wood. I have actually set upon a poang chair while visiting SF a few years back and loved it. Since I am going to be ordering online versus going into the store and picking it up can someone please let me know if the Pello is a good chair or if I should pony up the extra $30-50 to get the Poang?

Thanks

clayj
Feb 20, 2006, 09:32 PM
Well, I really like my Poang... got the footstool/ottoman for it, too, and I think the whole thing came out to $250 or so with black leather. Haven't tried the Pello so I can't say which is better, but the Poang is pretty dang good.

mikemodena
Feb 20, 2006, 09:54 PM
I was at IKEA New Haven this morning for some breakfast with the Gee Eff. I got my loft-bed from there last summer, and it has a desk built in. Can't remember the name though.

balamw
Feb 20, 2006, 10:01 PM
They appear to be very similar but the pello is $49 where the poang is $79-99 depending on fabric/wood.
IKEA quality is quite good if you stay away from the real low end stuff that only seems to be around for a year.

Poang = classic Mobelfakta quality. Pello is the cheaper knockoff.

Anyone remember the machines they used to have in the store to simulate someone sitting on the chair 300,000 times?

B

notjustjay
Feb 20, 2006, 11:31 PM
I want that desktop picture.

w_parietti22
Feb 20, 2006, 11:44 PM
OK, I am trying to decide which I want and you may be able to help. I am looking to buy either

the poang

http://www.ikea.com/PIAimages/22170_PE107052_S3.jpg

and the pello

http://www.ikea.com/PIAimages/38296_PE130209_S3.jpg

They appear to be very similar but the pello is $49 where the poang is $79-99 depending on fabric/wood. I have actually set upon a poang chair while visiting SF a few years back and loved it. Since I am going to be ordering online versus going into the store and picking it up can someone please let me know if the Pello is a good chair or if I should pony up the extra $30-50 to get the Poang?

Thanks

Yes, its more comfortable.

Oblivious
Feb 21, 2006, 12:31 AM
Heh, I've been looking into getting this same desk... most likely the $99 version. I'd get it but I have yet to be able to get over to Stoughton. Maybe once I get my license at the end of the month.:p

cruxed
Feb 21, 2006, 03:35 AM
I've got a Poang in my room, it's awesome.
I have it about 5 metres away from my 20" ACD, and I sit back on it to watch movies :)

My desk is also from IKEA. I think it's called GALANT or something.

Here's a pic: http://static.flickr.com/19/93991656_6e694afd5e_o.jpg

Joe2000
Feb 22, 2006, 10:09 AM
I have it about 5 metres away from my 20" ACD, and I sit back on it to watch movies :)

Yes that is a GALANT my dads got one at hiss office, his also got a Jerker:

http://forums.macrumors.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=41427&stc=1&d=1140624387
(Thats his ancient G4 450 By the way lol!)

Kernow
Feb 22, 2006, 10:27 AM
LOL, I just got back from IKEA! Seriously, i've just bought the MIKAEL desk (strange name, i know) as it matches my current furniture ;) .

I'm only 15 so I cant really afford a G5 with 30" HD displays atm :( , i've got an iBook G4 and a Snow iMac 600, the MIKAEL desk should accompany my gear fine

I got the Mikael desk a couple of months ago - very nice - big and sturdy. I have my G5 underneath and 23" ACD on top & it looks great. :)

w_parietti22
Feb 22, 2006, 11:35 AM
Sense we're talking about chairs too, I just wanted to say I have the MALUNG chair, it's very nice but I kinda wish I had gotten the POANG.

gekko513
Feb 22, 2006, 12:15 PM
Yeah, the POANGs are super-comfortable.

notjustjay
Feb 22, 2006, 01:43 PM
For some silly fun, read this thread out loud... :D

XIII
Feb 22, 2006, 04:27 PM

I gots a Galant corner table too. :)

Joe2000
Feb 22, 2006, 04:50 PM
I got the Mikael desk a couple of months ago - very nice - big and sturdy. I have my G5 underneath and 23" ACD on top & it looks great. :)

Any chance you could post some pic's?

I wont be able to build mine until my decoratings finished - will probably be around mid-late March, I really want to see what the desk lookes like in "real life";)

If you can,that would be great:D !

Thanks, Joe.

Joe2000
Feb 22, 2006, 04:55 PM
Well, I really like my Poang... got the footstool/ottoman for it, too, and I think the whole thing came out to $250 or so with black leather. Haven't tried the Pello so I can't say which is better, but the Poang is pretty dang good.

Surley you don't use the Poang as a desk chair? It seems very low for that sort of thing:confused:

thanks, Joe

puckhead193
Feb 22, 2006, 05:07 PM
http://www.hungryseacow.com/Personal/DSC01244.jpg

Any chance you have a link to that desktop? Kinda like it :D

puckhead193
Feb 22, 2006, 05:08 PM

sry for the double post i hit edit cause i realized i had the wrong link....

w_parietti22
Feb 22, 2006, 05:17 PM

I think thats iTunes visualizer but I could be wrong.

puckhead193
Feb 22, 2006, 05:53 PM
I think thats iTunes visualizer but I could be wrong.
no the other picture in his post... i took the wrong picture when quoting him/her... :o

it was the guy throwing the windows icon in the trash with a blue background and the guy had an apple logo...

hcuar
Feb 22, 2006, 09:00 PM
You jerkers... :p

Now I want an IKEA Jerker... I'm stuck in the middle of podunk Iowa. So... anyone ever had IKEA Direct ship a desk to you?

I have a bad feeling it'd cost a fortune.

:(

Bubbasteve
Feb 22, 2006, 09:25 PM

I couldn't agree more... I'm 6'6", when I visit IKEA and see the beds so low to the ground I laugh to myself because there would be noway I could get in and out of those things on a daily basis (well I could but I wouldn't like it that much)

p0intblank
Feb 23, 2006, 11:27 PM
I never thought I'd say this, but... I got a new Jerker and I would like to share it with you all of you!

Next up on my list: iCurve, Apple Bluetooth Keyboard, and probably MacMice's The Mouse BT (any good?)

It's nice to have a lot of depth to work with now... my previous setup felt very cramped.