PDA

View Full Version : What would you do with $3000 Dollars?

corywoolf
Feb 20, 2006, 01:34 PM
As I have said in another post, I am getting $2,000 from my grandma as a graduation gift and will get between $1000-$1200 from items I will be selling either on eBay or hopefully here. My family is not well off and this is a very rare circumstance for me. I always told myself I would be smart with my money and not greedy when I get an opportunity like this. So I have been thinking a lot about what I am going to get computer hardware wise and still can't make up my mind. I first wanted to get the 17" iMac Core Duo with a dell 20" monitor and a 30 GB iPod. I then wanted to get the 20" iMac Core Duo with a 19" dell monitor and the 60 GB iPod. After that, a few days ago I really was heading towards the 1.83 Ghz Mac Book Pro with a 20" Dell monitor and 1 GB shuffle. I am now thinking about getting a 1 Ghz 17" Powerbook (with 2 GB RAM) with a 20" Dell monitor and a 1 GB shuffle. The main problem is I do a lot of work in FCP, CS2, After Effects and FCP wont even run on a Intel Mac for a while. I have a 800 Mhz iMac G4 with 768 MB RAM and wonder if 200 Mhz will make a big difference along with the 2 GB RAM? I plan on selling the Powerbook when everything I use is universal. This setup would cost me around $2000 (w/ monitor and accessories) and I would keep the monitor when I upgrade to the MBP. So what would you do in my situation?

Roy Hobbs
Feb 20, 2006, 01:38 PM
I would put the $2000 in the bank and wait for universal apps....by then who knows might be on Rev C Intels

thegreatunknown
Feb 20, 2006, 01:44 PM
I'm going to try to go easy on you since your profile says you are only 17.

1st, don't go around blabbing about how much money you are getting, thats inappropriate. 2nd, don't follow it by telling us you aren't well off. if you aren't well off then you should be learning how to save money, learning about savings accounts, ROTH IRA's, etc, or even better saving for a college education.

if you just want recommendations of what to buy don't give us the story, just ask... many people here will help.

Glenn Wolsey
Feb 20, 2006, 01:49 PM

1st, don't go around blabbing about how much money you are getting, thats inappropriate. 2nd, don't follow it by telling us you aren't well off. if you aren't well off then you should be learning how to save money, learning about savings accounts, ROTH IRA's, etc, or even better saving for a college education.

if you just want recommendations of what to buy don't give us the story, just ask... many people here will help.

I actually think by him giving us the story it can help us is helping him choose. Rather than saying I have $3000, what should I buy? He has told us that this money does mean alot to him and wants to take his time in choosing and make the right decision.

Personally I would recommend the 20" Intel iMac.

risc
Feb 20, 2006, 01:51 PM
If I was you I'd be putting the money in the bank until CS3 is released as a universal binary then I'd be buying whatever Apple end up calling the Power Mac.

nospleen
Feb 20, 2006, 01:52 PM
I would get the 20" imac and put the rest away. You will have over 1400 to store for a rainy day. I am sure you can get by without another monitor, I know it stinks, but hang on to your money. Congrats and have fun. That is what I would recommend to do, although I would never be able to have the self control to do it! (I would probably buy the 15" 1.83 MBP, an apple 20" display, and an ipod) :D

maclanes
Feb 20, 2006, 01:52 PM
The smart thing to do would be to invest it and make a profit. 3,000 could soon turn into 30,000 and so on. Be the next millionare!

Deepdale
Feb 20, 2006, 02:05 PM
That is one very nice grandmother you have. When I graduated high school, I believe I was treated to a slice of pizza. Okay, perhaps it was two slices and a Coke.

hhlee
Feb 20, 2006, 02:10 PM
I always told myself I would be smart with my money and not greedy when I get an opportunity like this.

wait a few more months, buy someone's higher end g4.

save the money, go to college.

kbonnel
Feb 20, 2006, 02:13 PM
The smart thing to do would be to invest it and make a profit. 3,000 could soon turn into 30,000 and so on. Be the next millionare!

Or do the dumb thing and invest it and lose it all :( Just kidding, I think investing it would be the smartest move, but not in stocks or bonds or anything like that, but in college. Education is more important. If you already have college figured out, then I would get a refurb 20" Imac, and forget about the 20" Dell. It is a luxury, and you really don't need it.

Kimo

teerexx52
Feb 20, 2006, 02:16 PM
Invest it!!!

MacTT
Feb 20, 2006, 02:40 PM
I would suggest a 17" intel imac or the new ibook coming out in april. As for the iPod, I would wait for the new one to come out. They seem to get cheaper. :) Then I would save the rest in the bank. Remember new computers come out all the time. Don't waste it all on one machine.

eēStudios
Feb 20, 2006, 02:51 PM
Save it, any computer is a waste of money. If you have something that will do what you need (read NEED not WANT) it to do now then use that and stick the money in to a Savings account, companies like ING are giving 4.75% on their basic savings plans. CD's are generally safer than stocks, but with only 3,000 to invest I personally wouldn't go for stocks and stick to a 12-24 month CD or just basic savings.

Bleeding edge only lasts for months in the computer world, saving your money can bring back real monetary rewards. Hell if you continue to save and then wisely invest you can buy that new machine using the interest you made on your investments and never touch your initial principle.

Ed

blackstone
Feb 20, 2006, 02:54 PM
(1) You have very little need for a new iPod, unless the 40 gig photo you have is somehow inadequate.

(2) There is no point in getting a 17" PB right now, because:
(a) You seem to be perfectly fine with having just a desktop right now, and
(b) A year or two from now, you'll really regret getting a G4, because it will be dog-slow compared to everything else out there

Are you going to college next year? If so, then SAVE the money, wait until you can benefit from the college student discounts and THEN buy yourself a new computer. You'll save a couple hundred bucks and have a computer even faster than what you could get now.

nospleen
Feb 20, 2006, 02:55 PM
Save, save, save, this thread is getting boring already! :p :D

Deepdale
Feb 20, 2006, 02:57 PM
... Hell if you continue to save and then wisely invest you can buy that new machine using the interest you made on your investments and never touch your initial principle.

Sound and practical advice, but it requires personal resolve and discipline that can be challenging for a 17-year old HS senior.

mfacey
Feb 20, 2006, 03:01 PM
I'd personally get a huge LCD/Plasma tv. But that's just me. :D

Imac is a great machine, but if you have a 20 inch imac, why do you need an extra 20 inch display? Plenty of real estate on there already! Your choice though. College is good for you, but $3000 won't even get you through your first year, it is a good start though.

If you're just looking to spend it on something fun, go for the imac!

corywoolf
Feb 20, 2006, 08:26 PM

Yeah, I was just giving you a brief summary of where I'm at dude, I didn't mean to brag (not much to brag about anyways). I figure it might help to tell you a little bit about myself and my needs in order to help make my decision. And how else am I supposed to get advice if I don't give a budget? I apologize if I offended you in any way.

corywoolf
Feb 20, 2006, 08:30 PM
I actually think by him giving us the story it can help us is helping him choose. Rather than saying I have $3000, what should I buy? He has told us that this money does mean alot to him and wants to take his time in choosing and make the right decision.

Personally I would recommend the 20" Intel iMac.

Thanks for understanding me, I guess one poster doesn't agree with my approach to advice, I will give him/her a break because they are a noob. ;)
I am really thinking about this (http://www.smalldog.com/product/36077) 1 Ghz 17" Powerbook with 2 GB RAM and maybe a HD upgrade as well. Anyone who owns this model want to comment?

nospleen
Feb 20, 2006, 08:31 PM
Thanks for understanding me, I guess one poster doesn't agree with my approach to advice, I will give him/her a break because they are a noob. ;)
I am really thinking about this (http://www.smalldog.com/product/36077) 1 Ghz 17" Powerbook with 2 GB RAM and maybe a HD upgrade as well. Anyone who owns this model want to comment?

Do you really need portability? If not, get the 17" imac, it is the same price and tons faster.

i4k20c
Feb 20, 2006, 08:32 PM
Dude wait,
If you aren't in the position to spend alot of money, i'd honestly wait. For two reasons, one if you want a desktop either a newer revision will come out maybe even $100 cheaper (goes toward ipod, applecare, etc...) if you also are going to be a college student, they sometimes offer some crazy summer deals, for instance i got a powerbook (along with student discount), free ipod mini that i gave to my brother, and 100 bux towards a printer (you can get 1-2 from free, since apple sells a couple for only 100), but i decided to get a photo printer for my parents and paid the difference. So yah, if your stressed for money, be patient, and something better will come up....:) i am specifically talking about better comming up in terms of saving money, no gurantee's, but idk.. i'd wait until the summer..

i4k20c
Feb 20, 2006, 08:34 PM

I would not get that for $1300... :o It says it comes with a dent.. there are better deals imo for 200 bux more going on in the market over here at macrumors.. and once the intel ibook comes out and more intel macbooks.. im sure for 1200-1500, you can get something alot faster and in better condiiton than that machine..:)

corywoolf
Feb 20, 2006, 08:41 PM
That is one very nice grandmother you have. When I graduated high school, I believe I was treated to a slice of pizza. Okay, perhaps it was two slices and a Coke.

yeah, she is old school and doesn't know what a cell phone is. I convinced her to upgrade to a new 20" TV a couple years ago. She was using a really old TV that was built inside a wood cabinet. She was upset when she found out they stopped making TVs out of wood cabinets. Long story short, she still doesn't own a dryer and hangs clothes outside on a line. I don't know what she does in the winter time though (never thought of that before). She has given $25 every year for my birthday, but the big gift all of her grandchildren get is $2000 for graduating high school. I thought about putting some into AAPL stock, but as I found out in another thread, it is more of a long term investment company at the moment. I already doubled $500 I saved from a summer job in AAPL stock a couple years ago. The main thing is that I know once I move out to NYC with my dad, I wont be able to buy crap because my dad wont let me spend my own money when he has to pay for some of my stuff. I plan on getting a job as a PA as soon as I get out there and doing some small gigs for a little while. But thats a whole other story.:p

corywoolf
Feb 20, 2006, 08:50 PM
wait a few more months, buy someone's higher end g4.

save the money, go to college.

Already going to college. I started dual enrolling a little over 1.5 years ago and will have 43 college credits when I graduate in a couple months. I have taken lots of courses (my high school paid for them too! I understand this isn't a degree, but in the video production world it's a lot more about who you know and what you can do then what degree you have. Demo Reel is key [currently putting one together]):

GDT 139 Illustrator Graphics:

This course covers the fundamental tools and techniques of the vector
drawing software, Adobe Illustrator. Lecture, demonstrations,
exercises and projects introduce students to basic software tools and
the current version of the software. This course contains material
previously taught in GDT 137 and GDT 138.

VID 102 Video Production II:

This course is designed to develop and expand skills learned in VID
101. More in-depth study of storyboarding, shot lists, scriptwriting,
budgeting, videography, lighting, audio, and more advanced production
techniques are covered. Through a combination of lecture and hands-on
exercises, students develop skills to produce various styles of
productions. Depending on the students' interest, they may produce a
finished informational, public service, advertisement, narrative, or
artistic video production.

VID 112 Digital Video Editing II:

Students learn advanced editing techniques using Final Cut Pro
software on a Mac G4 computer. Students study and develop skills in
system configuration and language, rough cut editing, editing for
effect, match frame editing, printing to video/multimedia or web, as
well as editing their own footage from VID 102. A combination of
lecture and hands-on experience are combined to develop editing
skills.

VID 276 Advanced Video Graphics I:

This course introduces students to motion graphics composition for
film/video and internet distribution. Students learn the role of
motion graphics in these media. Adobe After Effects is used as the
main tool to create motion graphics compositions. Students learn the
basics of visual effects terminology, effect keying and transparency,
keyframing, synchronizing compositions to music, compression codecs
required for output optimization, and saving the finished composition
to a variety of film/video and internet ready formats such as Apple
QuickTime. Lecture, hands-on experience and creative mentoring are
combined to develop motion graphics compositing skills. Students gain
a working knowledge of After Effects and are exposed to examples of
work from industry professionals for inspiration. This course was
previously VID 299.

VID 277 Advanced Video Graphics II:

In this course students expand upon the basic skills learned to produce advanced motion graphics compositions. Adobe after Effects is used as the main tool to create motion graphics compositions. Students will create original work based on advanced concepts such as color-screen keying, particle effects, three- dimensional space, and geometric motion. Students will expand their ability to create motion graphics through critical review of work from industry professionals.

VID 280 DVD Authoring:

DVD authoring will give students the skills to create interactive
DVD's using digital video, graphic files, photographs and any other
multi-media formats. With the use of menus, buttons, subtitles,
alternate languages and sound tracks, this course will be an excellent
way for students to create a portfolio and add an additional skill on
their resume.

INP 150 Web Coding I:

This course is an introduction to creating pages for the Web using
Extensible Hypertext Markup Language (XHTML) and Cascading Styles
Sheets (CSS). Students will create Web pages using a text editor and
publish them on a server using an FTP program. Upon completion of this
course, students will have a comprehensive understanding of document
structure and formatting techniques as well as develop effective
troubleshooting skills. A test-out is available for students with
prior Web coding experience; interested students should consult with
an INP faculty member.

INP 153 Designing User Experience I:

In this course students will learn the principles and practices of
user-centered design, as well as the fundamentals of information
architecture and interface design for the Web. The focus will be on
human-computer interaction, critical evaluation of existing Web sites,
and creating deliverables that a user experience professional would
typically produce. Upon completion of this course, students will have
a working knowledge of approaches, tools, and techniques pertaining to
a variety of Web topics such as content design, interface design,
navigation, organization, labeling, search, and site mapping.

PHO 111 Photography I:

This is a first-term course in basic photography. Areas of study include: camera operation, lighting and composition, laboratory equipment and procedures, image processing, printing and final presentation techniques. Students must have their own manually adjustable camera and anticipate additional costs for materials for the course. Some sections are film based and are for students with 35mm film cameras. Other sections are digitally based and are for students with digital cameras. See the time schedule to choose the appropriate section.

GDT 112 Graphic Communication I:

This course covers methods in visual communication, ideation, visual perception, and problem solving techniques. Exercises explore word-picture-abstract design, visual thinking and communication theories.

corywoolf
Feb 20, 2006, 08:58 PM
(1) You have very little need for a new iPod, unless the 40 gig photo you have is somehow inadequate.

(2) There is no point in getting a 17" PB right now, because:
(a) You seem to be perfectly fine with having just a desktop right now, and
(b) A year or two from now, you'll really regret getting a G4, because it will be dog-slow compared to everything else out there

Are you going to college next year? If so, then SAVE the money, wait until you can benefit from the college student discounts and THEN buy yourself a new computer. You'll save a couple hundred bucks and have a computer even faster than what you could get now.

Already get the college discounts, read above. The 17" 1 Ghz PB is so I can work on stuff away from my place. I could get a lot done during school with it and am going to be moving around a lot in the next couple years.

corywoolf
Feb 20, 2006, 09:07 PM
I'd personally get a huge LCD/Plasma tv. But that's just me. :D

Imac is a great machine, but if you have a 20 inch imac, why do you need an extra 20 inch display? Plenty of real estate on there already! Your choice though. College is good for you, but $3000 won't even get you through your first year, it is a good start though.

If you're just looking to spend it on something fun, go for the imac!
No, I am looking for a system to last me a couple years. I am going to use it to put together my demo reel/ portfolio and therefore can't use an Intel Mac for a while. I need to be able to use After Effects, CS2, and FCP Studio extensively for the next few months. I liked the thought of getting the Mac Book Pro, but it just wont have the power for what I need it for (at least until the universal versions of all these apps are released). I have thought about a refurbished G5 2 Ghz Dual Core Powermac for a while also, but that would end up costing close to the MBP. I figure with 2 GB RAM and the 17" screen I should be set for a while. Rendering might be a pain in the butt, but I have a few friends, one with the quad. that I could render on if I needed to. I guess this thread might be going nowhere, I am basically just trying to get opinions and take them into consideration.

Thanks to all that have posted, even if some were a little off on the facts.:)

jefhatfield
Feb 20, 2006, 09:16 PM

i couldn't disagree more

and corywoolf,

really, who cares how much money you are getting or if your family is poor or rich?...and who cares if you share that info or not? i am glad that you will be getting money and congrats on that

the main thing, especially being a pc tech, is that from my point of view, i see you have sense and that you are smart in your thinking in getting a mac...you could get a pc running windows xp and be among the legions of people who create a good living for us in the pc designing/selling/fixing/modifying/upgrading business ;)

codycartoon
Feb 20, 2006, 09:20 PM
Sound and practical advice, but it requires personal resolve and discipline that can be challenging for a 17-year old HS senior.

What is with the idealistic condescension? Just because someone is 17 does not mean that they are undisciplined and lack the strength to work with money.

Sure, it would be practical and sound, but also unrealistic and boring. Even if he was making 5% interest each year, it would take him more than 15 years to make enough for a nice apple, and 5% is an overestimated figure. Waiting fifteen years for something like this is ridiculous. Money collects dust.

If you are in college I say get a MacBook Pro with a student discount. You can get one for $1800. Spend the rest enjoying your adolescence. you only get one shot.

-cody

jefhatfield
Feb 20, 2006, 09:31 PM
If you are in college I say get a MacBook Pro with a student discount. You can get one for $1800. Spend the rest enjoying your adolescence. you only get one shot.

-cody

adolescence, i hate to say, will be the best time in many, if not most people's lives

stuff like living out on one's own, bills, insurance, the reality of marriage (and kids for some) make a lot of people realize that from now on after high school/college, things will never be as carefree as one's childhood years...and in high school, at least one is old enough to drive, go to concerts, and get around fairly safely so it's like having some of the joys and freedoms of adulthood without the full scale adult responsibilities yet...and don't wait too long since many right after high school or college hit the ground running in some sort of necessary or imagined/self made rat race which wears down most but the most hardy of us

i never had a dime as a teenager and early 20-something and three grand would be a real windfall :)

eēStudios
Feb 20, 2006, 09:34 PM
What is with the idealistic condescension? Just because someone is 17 does not mean that they are undisciplined and lack the strength to work with money.

Sure, it would be practical and sound, but also unrealistic and boring. Even if he was making 5% interest each year, it would take him more than 15 years to make enough for a nice apple, and 5% is an overestimated figure. Waiting fifteen years for something like this is ridiculous. Money collects dust.

-cody

This attitude is why a lot of the nations youth is either in debt up to their ears or have filled bankruptcy by age 22, really sad.

As far as the comment about only who you know and your reel mean the most, i cant wait until you get a dose of reality. There is no way in hell someone without a degree could be in the position i am in now. It was the combination of graduating from UCLA film school, the reel, and the connections that make it happen dont fool yourself cause in the end thats the only person you are fooling. Also a lot of my good connections came from college, their connections, or professors that have recommended me to things

Ed

corywoolf
Feb 20, 2006, 09:34 PM

-cody
Never heard more true words... "Money Collects Dust"
Nice way of putting it. If you think I haven't considered saving most of it and getting a ibook or something cheap, believe me I have. I need a reliable computer that I can count on while I put together my first demo reel and portfolio. The computer is just a tool for me to get my name out there, and I need a tool I can count on and that JUST does the job.

MacRumoron
Feb 20, 2006, 09:41 PM
i dont understand why you need an extra monitor

and if i were you, i wouldn't get a laptop unless you will be taking it everywhere

I bought an ibook (my first mac) and realized i took it nowhere. So basically i spent more money on a crappier computer

jefhatfield
Feb 20, 2006, 09:46 PM
This attitude is why a lot of the nations youth is either in debt up to their ears or have filled bankruptcy by age 22, really sad.

Ed

i am 42 and i never heard someone say something like that

a lot of bankruptcy comes from bad spending habits, not having fun and realizing that one's adolescence may be one's last big block(s) of free time before regular adulthood, which for most of us that means working full time

corywoolf
Feb 20, 2006, 09:46 PM

As far as the comment about only who you know and your reel mean the most, i cant wait until you get a dose of reality. Even though i am in a transition period for my job there is no way in hell someone without a degree could be in it right now. It was the combination of graduating from UCLA film school, the reel, and the connections that make it happen dont fool yourself cause in the end thats the only person you are fooling.

Ed

Well, I have talked with many professionals in the film business, including my professor who was in the business for over 30 years. He has done several national commercials for the big three auto companies and went to MSU to get his degree in film. He also taught film at University of Michigan for several years. He gave my class a lot of advice and even had a friend come in and give us a talk. His friend is still in the business and had to fly out to the Mojave desert the next day to film a commercial for Dodge. I understand I shouldn't expect to jump right up to a director or anything like that and I don't. I have heard lots about the real world in film and DO plan on going to college or film school at some point. Some of us don't have the connections and assets others do and need to start somewhere. That somewhere for me is being a PA (production assistant)and an assistant editor for small productions. I have had this talk so many times with people it is starting to disgust me. I am not some naive 17 year old kid who thinks he is the next Spielberg and can get work easily. I don't mean to snap, sorry if it sounds like it, but I didn't think this thread would get to this topic, nor that it would carry this negative energy.

Last but not least, please check out this old thread (http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=123486&highlight=career+advice) that gave me lots of insight.

"First off, no one cares where their editor, or shooter, or director, or writer went to school. They just care about how well that person can do their job. This isn't like the business world where a Big Name School will open doors for you. I work w/at least 3 people who have Masters from FSU's film school (one of the best in the nation) and people who went to USC and they are paying their dues just like I am (I went to Ball State Univ. in Indiana). Paying big $$$ for a big name school is not the best way to spend your money, IMO." -LethalWolfe

-Cory

MUCKYFINGERS
Feb 20, 2006, 09:51 PM
if i had $3000 i think the smartest choice would be an intel imac.

jefhatfield
Feb 20, 2006, 09:52 PM
cory,

you sound like you are on the right track and get that mac, and also have some fun

sure college can be fun, but some of the joy of learning (at least for me) was hindered by the fact that it cost (something) to go to college from my parent's pocket or my pocket

though life never got terrible for me, it was never as carefree as my last two years in high school

we know you will get that mac, but keep us posted on how you enjoy the rest of the money if you plan to...and post pictures, too :)

codycartoon
Feb 20, 2006, 10:09 PM

As far as the comment about only who you know and your reel mean the most, i cant wait until you get a dose of reality. There is no way in hell someone without a degree could be in the position i am in now. It was the combination of graduating from UCLA film school, the reel, and the connections that make it happen dont fool yourself cause in the end thats the only person you are fooling. Also a lot of my good connections came from college, their connections, or professors that have recommended me to things

Ed

What attitude would that be? How does this have anything to do with debt when the question is about how someone should go about spending gift money? Much of the nation (not just the nations youth) is in debt because people tend to have trouble balancing luxury and necessity. Credit cards make this easier. I am not supporting decadent excess but I am also not in favor of hoarding money for the sake of being practical. It is crucial to find a balance.

Your comment about how one needs a degree to be successful in the film industry is really backwards and absurd. Depending on what position you are after, a fantastic reel and great contacts will really take you places. Just because you graduate from a film school does not mean much to potential employers. Even if you went to one of the top tier film schools (NYU, USC, UCLA) does not mean that you will get a good job after you graduate. Employers are looking for talent and ability, they could care less where you came from. I am mostly talking about film directors, cinematographers, I do not know as much about what the deal is with producers and other film positions, it might be a different story. I believe he said that he wants to be a cinematographer/director though.

-cody

corywoolf
Feb 20, 2006, 10:29 PM
What attitude would that be? How does this have anything to do with debt when the question is about how someone should go about spending gift money? Much of the nation (not just the nations youth) is in debt because people tend to have trouble balancing luxury and necessity. Credit cards make this easier. I am not supporting decadent excess but I am also not in favor of hoarding money for the sake of being practical. It is crucial to find a balance.

Your comment about how one needs a degree to be successful in the film industry is really backwards and absurd. Depending on what position you are after, a fantastic reel and great contacts will really take you places. Just because you graduate from a film school does not mean much to potential employers. Even if you went to one of the top tier film schools (NYU, USC, UCLA) does not mean that you will get a good job after you graduate. Employers are looking for talent and ability, they could care less where you came from. I am mostly talking about film directors, cinematographers, I do not know as much about what the deal is with producers and other film positions, it might be a different story. I believe he said that he wants to be a cinematographer/director though.

-cody

Um, no I never said anything about directing/ cinematography. I want to be an editor. I am glad to see I am not alone in knowing that a degree isn't everything. Anyone can get a degree, but not everyone has what it takes to edit for a living. I would rather stick my head out now about my plans, then be another teen who goes through the motions with college and doesn't think much about their future. That being said, I fully respect the majority of individuals who do not know what they wish to do for a living and will make up there mind later in college. If you read the thread (link posted earlier) I created for advice on career pathways you can read more about where I am at and my plans (if you even care). :o

corywoolf
Feb 20, 2006, 10:31 PM

Ed

Just out of curiosity, what position are you in now? I respect your approach, but not everyone takes the same path to get from A to B.

sintaxi
Feb 21, 2006, 02:13 AM
Cory,
You are pretty much taking the exact same program as I am taking in Vancouver Canada. Trust me, you cant afford to wait for UB. I would recomend you buy a power mac 2.0Ghz with a 24" dell monitor or scoop one of those 20" G5 iMac while you still can.

The important thing is that you give yourself every oportunity to do the best work possible while in school. Even though the intel machines are a smarter buy finatually, You will be using Photoshop every single day and you will never touch the software offered by OSX. Everything you do will be on Pro Aps. You cant afford to play the waiting game.

As for the iPod. Keep the one you got. I cant stress enough how great it is to have an iPod to back up your files.

I will asume your school uses good computers (mine uses dual 2.7 with 8gig Ram) so I would avize you get a desktop so that you have a good rig at home and then a good rig at school. YOU WILL NEVER TAKE A 17" PB ANYWHERE! so few 17" PB see the light of day.

good luck.

Deepdale
Feb 21, 2006, 03:31 AM
What is with the idealistic condescension? ... Waiting fifteen years for something like this is ridiculous. Money collects dust.

Neither he nor anybody else needs my permission to decide what to do with money received as a gift. When a post is made, one can reply to it or move on. To brand a brief comment as condescending must make you one of the more astute members here.

thegreatunknown
Feb 21, 2006, 09:21 AM
the noob will now speak up once more. this thread might be dead now though. your money is your money, you asked our opinion. yes having fun as a kid is extremely important, like going to parties, bars, clubs, etc. before you have dependents. thats what college is for... and you learn a hell of a lot, not just about school but life. I don't care what people say about the degree... college is important for many things. 3k can get you started in a college.

the truth of the matter is, work your *ss off, that is the only way to get anywhere... don't spend your time reading this worthless banter.

get a mac... but save some of the money, you'll appreciate the advice later. money doesn't collect dust, there are ways to do better than 5%, but 5% isn't bad either.

corywoolf
Feb 21, 2006, 09:29 AM
Cory,
You are pretty much taking the exact same program as I am taking in Vancouver Canada. Trust me, you cant afford to wait for UB. I would recomend you buy a power mac 2.0Ghz with a 24" dell monitor or scoop one of those 20" G5 iMac while you still can.

The important thing is that you give yourself every oportunity to do the best work possible while in school. Even though the intel machines are a smarter buy finatually, You will be using Photoshop every single day and you will never touch the software offered by OSX. Everything you do will be on Pro Aps. You cant afford to play the waiting game.

As for the iPod. Keep the one you got. I cant stress enough how great it is to have an iPod to back up your files.

I will asume your school uses good computers (mine uses dual 2.7 with 8gig Ram) so I would avize you get a desktop so that you have a good rig at home and then a good rig at school. YOU WILL NEVER TAKE A 17" PB ANYWHERE! so few 17" PB see the light of day.

good luck.

Hey,

Thanks for the advice, but the classes I listed are ones I have already taken. I am done with college at the end of this semester (until a couple years down the road when I have for experience and money). My college uses eMacs and iMac G5s for Photoshop and Illustrator. They use dual 2 Ghz powermacs with dual 20" ACD for the editing program and single 1.8 Ghz Powermacs for the 3D animation and After Effects programs. My dream setup would be a cheap used/ refurb. ibook (for portability, photoshop, illustrator) and a refurb. Powermac G5 2 Ghz Dual Core for serious work. I would get a 20" Dell monitor with them too. If I can somehow squeeze all that into my $3000 budget I will be thrilled.

corywoolf
Feb 21, 2006, 09:33 AM
the noob will now speak up once more. this thread might be dead now though. your money is your money, you asked our opinion. yes having fun as a kid is extremely important, like going to parties, bars, clubs, etc. before you have dependents. thats what college is for... and you learn a hell of a lot, not just about school but life. I don't care what people say about the degree... college is important for many things. 3k can get you started in a college.

the truth of the matter is, work your *ss off, that is the only way to get anywhere... don't spend your time reading this worthless banter.

get a mac... but save some of the money, you'll appreciate the advice later. money doesn't collect dust, there are ways to do better than 5%, but 5% isn't bad either.

$150 (5%) a year for $3,000 locked in the bank isn't exactly going to get me anywhere for a long time.

thegreatunknown
Feb 21, 2006, 09:47 AM
why am I spending my time with this? Maybe I feel like I can knock some sense into you? I can't so I'm done, you are only 17. go out, get laid, enjoy life. most importantly go to college.

put some money away every week, you'll be happy you started now.

Ed H... you are extremely correct.

thegreatunknown
Feb 22, 2006, 11:33 AM
corywoolfman --
after a little boredom I went back and read through most of the posts. I apologize for being a little harsh, maybe I was a bit disgruntled at work or something. Besides apologizing I wanted to say one more thing though...

you had mentioned you were not well off. I don't know what you mean by this but my response to your question "what would you do w/ 3k" is if you are really not well off is to start a savings account. its not a lot but its a start, and if you continue to put money in it adds up. if you didn't mean "not well off" in the financial stance than the apple store is the first place to go!

ieani
Feb 22, 2006, 09:49 PM
Go to Europe! Or Austrailia. Or Japan.

It could change your life. Travel is far more rewarding then a computer. The experience is amazing and lasting. You'll have the memories your entire life, the computer just a few years. So, while you have the chance take advantage and see whatever place in the world interests you most. Its, I think, the best advice anyone can give you. This sounds sort of preachy and cliche but its what I did. I saved up an entire summer and spent $2000 on a two week wandering of europe.

As much I want a new mac if I had $3000 to spend I would be heading to Barcelona or Reykjavik or Munich or Toyko or New Zeland. There are hundreds of places Id rather go then get a new computer.

itgoesbuzz
Feb 22, 2006, 10:19 PM
As I have said in another post, I am getting $2,000 from my grandma as a graduation gift and will get between $1000-$1200 from items I will be selling either on eBay or hopefully here. My family is not well off and this is a very rare circumstance for me. I always told myself I would be smart with my money and not greedy when I get an opportunity like this. So I have been thinking a lot about what I am going to get computer hardware wise and still can't make up my mind. I first wanted to get the 17" iMac Core Duo with a dell 20" monitor and a 30 GB iPod. I then wanted to get the 20" iMac Core Duo with a 19" dell monitor and the 60 GB iPod. After that, a few days ago I really was heading towards the 1.83 Ghz Mac Book Pro with a 20" Dell monitor and 1 GB shuffle. I am now thinking about getting a 1 Ghz 17" Powerbook (with 2 GB RAM) with a 20" Dell monitor and a 1 GB shuffle. The main problem is I do a lot of work in FCP, CS2, After Effects and FCP wont even run on a Intel Mac for a while. I have a 800 Mhz iMac G4 with 768 MB RAM and wonder if 200 Mhz will make a big difference along with the 2 GB RAM? I plan on selling the Powerbook when everything I use is universal. This setup would cost me around $2000 (w/ monitor and accessories) and I would keep the monitor when I upgrade to the MBP. So what would you do in my situation?

where you going to school at? just curious

cr2sh
Feb 22, 2006, 10:25 PM
You'll find the 1GHz 17" powerbook to be painfully slow. Do not buy a g4, period. I bought one when it was released and payed the full $3200 for it.. and regretted it since pretty much week two. SLOW.

That aside, I never used a laptop in college for anything more than dicking off. Unless you're commuting (more than an hour a day) you don't need it. Get a desktop and when its time to do work, do work.

Now is not the time to buy... I'd sit on the money for 6 months, see what Apple does with the powermacs.

Personally I don't see any problem with powermac g5's. A dual 2.5 will go clearanced at around $1500 in a few months... I'd reach out for one then. I'd add a Dell 2405FW or 2005FPW depending on your wants and a pair of gigabytes.

wongulous
Feb 22, 2006, 11:28 PM
Get a 12" PB and a 20" Intel iMac, and if you have the money left over, get an iPod nano if you really need a second iPod or if your iPod photo is broken. But (1) definitely get a laptop, (2) make sure one of your machines is PowerPC, and (3) think of the iPod as an entertainment expense and the last thing you need.

nylon
Feb 22, 2006, 11:42 PM
Open an ING savings account. Shove the money in there (interest @~4%) till next Jan. By yourself a kick ass Macbook with MEROM processor, a batterylife of 7 hrs and a blue-ray drive.

But that's just me!!!

:)

w_parietti22
Feb 22, 2006, 11:57 PM
Invest it. Watch it grow. And then splurg on a nice new mac when you have $10,000

GoCubsGo
Feb 23, 2006, 12:16 AM
Put it in the bank and wait for the other $14k.

chris.d
Feb 23, 2006, 08:58 AM
i'd buy some magic beans, especially the kind you buy on the way to market. sweeeet.

jadekitty24
Feb 23, 2006, 09:12 AM
I was trying not to post in this thread because I really dislike all the negativity that's being tossed about but here it goes. Do what YOU want with the money. Buy whatever item you wish, spend or save it, it's up to you. Don't feel guilty about it just because some people here are so bitter they love nothing more but to crap on your fortune. And above all else, enjoy it. It's not often you can play around wuth $3000. Have fun :D

cr2sh
Feb 23, 2006, 09:17 AM
My family is not well off and this is a very rare circumstance for me. I always told myself I would be smart with my money and not greedy when I get an opportunity like this.

I plan on selling the Powerbook when everything I use is universal. This setup would cost me around $2000 (w/ monitor and accessories) and I would keep the monitor when I upgrade to the MBP. So what would you do in my situation?

I think your expectations are rather contradictory... First off, the software you named off... isn't cheap at all. FCP, CS2, After Effects... and on top of that you're planning on buying a Mac Book Pro?

If its rare for you to have $3k... I'm not sure how you can plan to sell everything once all your software is UB and upgrade to a MBP. That seems like a rather trivial point to chuck it all out the window and upgrade... especially since you don't often come across this much money.

If you plan on buying a MBP, but don't often have this much money... you're either going to have to buy one now and wait to use the software, or save the cash right now... and buy a MBP later.

The idea of buying a machine right now to tide you over.... until all the software goes UB and you can really buy the machine (and software) of your dreams - does not make sense.

--

If there is nothing else you can possibly take from my posts... it should be : DO NOT BUY A 1GHZ 17" POWERBOOK. :D

I was trying not to post in this thread because I really dislike all the negativity that's being tossed about but here it goes. Do what YOU want with the money. Buy whatever item you wish, spend or save it, it's up to you. Don't feel guilty about it just because some people here are so bitter they love nothing more but to crap on your fortune. And above all else, enjoy it. It's not often you can play around wuth $3000. Have fun :D

You must have clearly missed the title of this thread: What would you do with $3000 Dollars? :confused:

pimentoLoaf
Feb 23, 2006, 09:57 AM
Don't worry about the arguments concerning G4's -- you can go quite far with Final Cut & the latest 17" pB just learning, as the stuff you'll use professionally will probably be rather different a few years down the road.

Invest in a good scriptwriting program, too, such as Movie Magic Screenwriter (http://www.screenplay.com/products/mms/index.htm). Developing your own material will help immeasurably with learning editing, as going from script to finished film is often an eye-opening experience.

QCassidy352
Feb 23, 2006, 10:40 AM
do not get a 1 Ghz 17" PB. Just don't. A 1 Ghz G4 is old and slow. If you want what you get to last a few years DON'T get a 1 Ghz G4. Hell, if you really want a G4, get a reburb 1.5 Ghz G4 powerbook from apple for about $200 more than that 3 year old 17".

jadekitty24
Feb 23, 2006, 12:02 PM
You must have clearly missed the title of this thread: What would you do with $3000 Dollars? :confused:
How so? It seemed the OP couldn't make his mind up, then some people bashed him/her a bit, and then I offered my opinion which was spend it how you want. YOU clearly missed the title. It didn't say "Please nit-pick my thread to death instead of answering a simple question with a simple answer". Oh, wait, I see you've moved on to nit-picking the posts within that thread...

cr2sh
Feb 23, 2006, 12:13 PM
How so? It seemed the OP couldn't make his mind up, then some people bashed him/her a bit, and then I offered my opinion which was spend it how you want. YOU clearly missed the title. It didn't say "Please nit-pick my thread to death instead of answering a simple question with a simple answer". Oh, wait, I see you've moved on to nit-picking the posts within that thread...

A simple answer in fact you did supply.

Question: What would you do with $3000 Dollars?
Answer: I'd spend it how I want.

Should we not have a discussion on why it may be wasteful for a poor kid to buy an outdated laptop?

nbame786
Feb 23, 2006, 12:14 PM

way to go not being a jerk buddy, the kid needs advice and he had to start off with a story... did it hurt you at all? is your day ruined by it? no... and his day is probably a little better from positive reinforcement or positive encouragement either way...

jadekitty24
Feb 23, 2006, 02:34 PM
A simple answer in fact you did supply.

Question: What would you do with $3000 Dollars?
Answer: I'd spend it how I want.

Should we not have a discussion on why it may be wasteful for a poor kid to buy an outdated laptop?
I guess you could look at it like that, or you could say he's still a kid and why not have fun before you hit 18? He's got the rest of his life to be an adult, and he was never well-off. The chance to blow $3000 would be kind of cool. Maybe the wrong advice for me to give, but I know at 17 I made a lot of "smart" financial decisions, and a few of them could have been more fun. Had I known then what I know now I would have been a bit more carefree. Plus, we are talking about a gift, not money earned, or next months' rent. I don't know why but I've always felt gifts shoud be enjoyed, money earned is for rent, bills, blah blah. When I give out gift certificates for, say, Christmas I tell whoever I get it for to spend it on something you want and not something you need. And I really don't think buying a G4 would be buying an out-dated laptop. What makes it out-dated? That he didn't pay over $3000 for it? Because it isn't the latest and greatest? Will a G4 not surf the web? No programs will work with it? What makes a computer out-dated is all in the eyes of the beholder, in my opinion. If it does what you need it isn't out-dated.

cr2sh
Feb 23, 2006, 02:45 PM
What makes it out-dated? That he didn't pay over $3000 for it? Because it isn't the latest and greatest? Will a G4 not surf the web? No programs will work with it? What makes a computer out-dated is all in the eyes of the beholder, in my opinion. If it does what you need it isn't out-dated.

This machine was announced in January 2003. I owned one for two years and trust me, its outdated. I'm fairly certain that by most people's standards.. a computer that is 3 years old is a little out dated.

He wants to use with FCP, video editing, graphics - this is not that machine. It would be fine for web-surfing and common tasks... but he wants a workstation... not a portable... and certainly not that portable.

I agree gift money is gift money... and spending it on something he wants is important... but with his education near by, it would be great if it were a fun and smart decision.

savar
Feb 23, 2006, 02:47 PM
If you wanna be smart with your money, be smart with it. If you're hard up for money, the best thing you can do with money is use it to make more money. Take that $3k and start a business. At your age, if you're smart and talented, you've got a good chance at making money doing something that you enjoy.

A computer is great, especially if you don't have one already and you're going to college soon, but don't blow your wad on it. Get something reasonable.

The second best thing you could do with your money is invest it...do you have a college fund?

savar
Feb 23, 2006, 02:51 PM
As much I want a new mac if I had $3000 to spend I would be heading to Barcelona or Reykjavik or Munich or Toyko or New Zeland. There are hundreds of places Id rather go then get a new computer.

Another great suggestion, I would put this as the third option in my list above.

deeter123
Feb 23, 2006, 03:18 PM
You should really wait at least for FCP to come out before you go selling your iMac because as of now it won't run on the new ones. You shouldn't have to wait long though... I do believe it comes out in March or April

EvilDoc
Feb 23, 2006, 04:05 PM
I have to jump in this is getting dumb. First to the OP, If you think that you need the portablity of a laptop i would get an ibook and for home i would go with a 20inch iMac. I would try and save some of the money if possible just to have in the bank. And to every one bashing him for not wanting to save it, leave the kid alone. He is 17 and just because most of you cant afford to speed $3,000 bucks on a computer is no reason to bash him..

munkees
Feb 23, 2006, 04:14 PM
Good for you have $3000, my wife gave me $5000, We purchased a iMac 20 Core Duo and it is so sweet, go for a maxed out iMac you will have a lot of cash left over for extra stuff, like software games, a new digital camera etc. It cost me under $2000 for 20" iMac, 1 GB ram, 3yr apple care. wish i got the 2 gb ram.

Well I planning on adding another 3000 to my 5000 and when the quad 64 bit intel come out I buying one with a 30".

Demon Hunter
Feb 23, 2006, 04:20 PM

I thought I was the only one. I think I had enough money to start a lemonade stand, after my graduation.

ieani
Feb 23, 2006, 05:21 PM
I thought I was the only one. I think I had enough money to start a lemonade stand, after my graduation.

I got little as well, just enough for a passport. And had to endure a party with relatives my parents invited yet do not really get along with.

Timepass
Feb 23, 2006, 05:49 PM
well from I am reading from your post you are currently still in high school getting some dual credits (smart move btw) and I am going to guess you are going to be leaving home next fall. Since you are doing great right now I would say wait until closer to the fall sesmester is starting and buy a mac book pro and a Dell monitor and all that jazz because I think you are really going to want a laptop that can move around. Since you are buying a extranal monitor the laptop only really needs to be 15 ins at most. No need to pay the extra for the 17 in. 30 gig ipod will do you just fine. Yes I know you may have more songs than that but come on think about it how much of you stuff do you really listen 2. how much of it is really rated and how much of it has a play count over 10 times.

Just some food for thought.

Either way I am on the side of getting an intel mac over the summer with the money. And the extranal monitor.

ieani
Feb 23, 2006, 05:55 PM
well from I am reading from your post you are currently still in high school getting some dual credits (smart move btw) and I am going to guess you are going to be leaving home next fall. Since you are doing great right now I would say wait until closer to the fall sesmester is starting and buy a mac book pro and a Dell monitor and all that jazz because I think you are really going to want a laptop that can move around. Since you are buying a extranal monitor the laptop only really needs to be 15 ins at most. No need to pay the extra for the 17 in. 30 gig ipod will do you just fine. Yes I know you may have more songs than that but come on think about it how much of you stuff do you really listen 2. how much of it is really rated and how much of it has a play count over 10 times.

Just some food for thought.

Either way I am on the side of getting an intel mac over the summer with the money. And the extranal monitor.

I agree with this guy! :) In college, the best thing to do is be minimalistic. Buying some sweet set-up will be a waste of money(since college is so pricey) and a big distraction. And with the Ipod thing. I bought a 4 GB Nano even though i have enough music for a 60GB because its easier to carry around, wont ever be damaged by movement and it can double as my mp3 player for running.

jadekitty24
Feb 23, 2006, 06:43 PM
Coreywoolf, have you decided what you are going to do?

wheezy
Feb 23, 2006, 07:59 PM

I HATE your attitude. All I see is envy that you don't have the money. HAVE FUN with this guy and help him spend his money where he wants to. He wants to buy a Mac and I don't blame him. He could also takes what he buys and start a small business for himself doing video or photography or whatever. So don't 'take it easy on him' because he's 17. Keep your snide @$$ remarks to yourself.

There are far too many jerks on this forum.

50thVert
Feb 23, 2006, 08:54 PM
Quad. Do it.

mrgreen4242
Feb 23, 2006, 09:19 PM
Well, personally, I'd put it into a 6 month CD, and let it grow, just so that I couldn't get to it while I waited for UB versions of the software you need to come out.

Then snag a bottom end Intel PowerMac, which I recommend because if you don't NEED a laptop and money is going to be a problem for you it's something you can upgrade later for less than it will cost you too "trade up".

Hopefully you can manage to keep the whole thing under $2000, leaving you with a grand + the interest you earned while you waited as either some emergency money (so you don't have to use a credit card) OR to go travel as was suggested. A single young guy with $1000 can do pretty well in Europe, sleeping in hostels, on trains while traveling, etc... get a job somewhere if you can and find a place you like enough to stay for a few weeks.

That's the only thing that I wish I had done when I was "young" (I'm not old, but I am 26, married, full time job, etc etc)...

ChrisA
Feb 23, 2006, 09:28 PM
I would put the $2000 in the bank and wait for universal apps....by then who knows might be on Rev C Intels

That is Exactly what I'm doing. After everything is available as a universel binary the value of a used G4 PB will be prety darn low. You have to figure that next year in early 2007 there will be an Intel powered 13" wide screen iBook selling at the $999.00 price point with maybe a 2.0 Ghz "Core Solo" that will blow the old G4 PB out of the water. Who would pay for a G4?

Anything with a G4 in it will have a very short life. Not a good investment.

So while my Apple upgrade plans are on hold I can use the money to execute my Nikon upgrade plans and get a DSRL, lens and strobe. Basicaly Nikon gets the money Apple would have gotten this year.

One final comment. If your main use of a computer is FCP you are going to need storage. and fast storage and a way to bacckup all the storage. I don't think the internal drive of any notebook computer is the best for that.
Whatever replaces the PowerMac would be ideal.

ChrisA
Feb 23, 2006, 10:11 PM
start a savings account. !

Saving, except saving for a short period of time for some well defined goal is not usfull to young people. When you are 17 you can expect your income to double several times. It tales a 17 yesr old an hour to earn $5.00 after taxes and in a few short years he can expect to ne doing thrpple that and years later six times that. If you are on the steep end of the salery curve you would deposite a months pay and later withdraw a weeks pay, even with intrest.

This is why school loans are such a good idea. Spend the money when you are 18 - 22 and broke and pay it back after you've landed a good job. The 30 year old you can afford it better then the 18 year old you.

I say go to Europe and be a bum for a summer. Spend it.

blackstone
Feb 24, 2006, 09:37 AM

Yeah, if you're going to spend the money, then using it to travel abroad for a couple of months is by far the best idea. That kind of extended trip will be a blast and an eye-opening experience -- and something that you'll probably never be able to do again once you enter the working world full time.

rhsgolfer33
Feb 25, 2006, 02:16 PM
Saving, except saving for a short period of time for some well defined goal is not usfull to young people. When you are 17 you can expect your income to double several times. It tales a 17 yesr old an hour to earn $5.00 after taxes and in a few short years he can expect to ne doing thrpple that and years later six times that. If you are on the steep end of the salery curve you would deposite a months pay and later withdraw a weeks pay, even with intrest.

This is why school loans are such a good idea. Spend the money when you are 18 - 22 and broke and pay it back after you've landed a good job. The 30 year old you can afford it better then the 18 year old you.

Saving and investing are quite useful to people in the 18-22 range and even at 17. By that age you should definetly be saving money, an 18 year old in college can make between $8000 and $15000 fairly easy (25 hours working a week) if he works dilgently at his job. Saving and investing just $5000-$8000 a year can help to make a down payment on an appartment(so you dont have to waste money renting), help to pay for graduate/law school, or pay for other nesseicities throughout college or after college life. Making $5 an hour at 17 is pretty low, most teenagers I know make in excess of $7, and my first job started at $10 an hour with over time on a daily basis at $15 an hour. Getting a job that makes above minimum wage isnt that hard if you have any skills what so ever. College loans are a good idea if you have to take them out, there are much better ways to pay for college, suchs as working to pay for it, parents, scholarships, or junior college. I definetly wouldnt tell every kid in college to take out a college loan just because he can, its much better to be loan/debt free if possible, then that $30k-$60k your first "real" job starts at is yours to spend on what you want/need, not your college loans.

winterdude010
Feb 25, 2006, 02:22 PM
I would just get an intel iMac 20" put the rest in the bank

maya
Feb 25, 2006, 02:26 PM
Save your money. ;) :)

or

Spend it on anything that is released on the 28 Feb event. ;) :D

Demon Hunter
Feb 26, 2006, 01:43 PM
By that age you should definetly be saving money, an 18 year old in college can make between $8000 and $15000 fairly easy (25 hours working a week) if he works dilgently at his job.

I take some issue with this. What wage are you using to calculate this? I used to work 20 hours a week during the semester, and I scarcely had time for my coursework, much less any social life. What's more, if your grades suffer as a result of working so much, you're throwing away thousands of dollars of learning, just so you can make a measly $8/hr.

It's possible for some, but easy? You must be kidding.

dornoforpyros
Feb 26, 2006, 01:45 PM
buy 5-6 mini and set on up in every room of your house

rhsgolfer33
Feb 26, 2006, 02:31 PM
I take some issue with this. What wage are you using to calculate this? I used to work 20 hours a week during the semester, and I scarcely had time for my coursework, much less any social life. What's more, if your grades suffer as a result of working so much, you're throwing away thousands of dollars of learning, just so you can make a measly $8/hr.

It's possible for some, but easy? You must be kidding.

I used the wage of $10 per hour x by 25 hours per week=$250 per week x4=$1000 per month x 12= $12,000 per year after taxes your still making over $8000. My school requires at least 12 units but no more than 17 units per semester for full time students, with an average of 15 units. Units are measured in class time per week, so 15 hours of class + 25 hours of work=40 hours or a full time job. Now I understand there are homework assignments, tests, quizes and what not to study for and do, but working 25 hours and keeping A's and B's is possible, Ive done it and I know kids who work much more. Its not hard to make $8000 in a year if you have some skills, this didnt even include more hours working in the summer, which can make you a fair amount more. It may not be "easy" per say, but with good time managment skills, and a diligent student, its not particularly hard.

cr2sh
Feb 26, 2006, 03:45 PM
Its not hard to make $8000 in a year if you have some skills...

You know, like nunchuck skills, bowhunting skills, computer hacking skills...

I think he should spend the $3000 on training to be a cage fighter.

AvSRoCkCO1067
Feb 26, 2006, 03:58 PM

Terrific post. I'll train him, if he wants - just mail the check to...;)

MacMosher
Feb 26, 2006, 04:26 PM

I would buy a new keyboard cause your enter/return key seems to be broken:D

-sorry if thats a double post

zap2
Feb 26, 2006, 04:31 PM
2k from you grandmom seems nice, but what to do with it!

Get 20'' intel iMac, large Hard Drive and maxed RAM, forget about an external display, save the $$$ for later, or for whats coming out on the 28 of Feb

maestro55
Feb 26, 2006, 04:49 PM
As it appears you have college worked out and that this is a chance for you to get something that you want and something that you will use. I would go with the new MacBook Pro if I were you. You mentioned moving to NYC with your dad and then you also mentioned moving around a lot in the near future. With you being a student, the portable computer is a better choice, IMHO. I think the MBP will give you better video then the 17inch PB, and perhaps if you get 1.83Ghz MBP you will have some money left over for an LCD.

I hope everything works out for you and good luck!

teddy07x
Feb 26, 2006, 05:07 PM

yeah, so would I say... donīt buy anything right now.
why do you HAVE to have a 60gb ipod?
donīt spend money that you donīt have...
if you work alot in those programs, then wait until apple has come out with reliable rev c or d machines that run the apps in "realtime"

and as for getting anything...
Wait untill the Rev B powermac comes out, get the "slowest" dual you can get.
And get two cheap 19" LCDs nowdays you can get GOOD widescreen 19"s for nothing... :) thatīll put you in the 2500 dollar area.
Get the memory from somewhere else and save money there. and at lasst you upgrade the harddrive when you need it and got the money! =)

cgratti
Feb 26, 2006, 05:13 PM
I would buy a new keyboard cause your enter/return key seems to be broken:D

-sorry if thats a double post

Buymeanewkeyboardbecausemyspacebarisbroken!

ieani
Feb 26, 2006, 05:41 PM
Has anyone recommending CDs actually run the numbers? The rates are not that good. Not worth waiting I think for what he needs.

From www.bankrate.com: "The highest rate on a 6-month CD nationally is 4.69 percent, with an annual percentage yield of 4.80 percent."

At 4.8% that would give him just $144 extra for waiting. You could work for $5/hr just 28.8 hrs in that 6 months and make that much.

rhsgolfer33
Feb 26, 2006, 06:51 PM

Haha, yeah, those would be some sweet skills, nunchucks are pretty sweet. Good movie.

asphalt-proof
Feb 26, 2006, 07:33 PM
Save it, any computer is a waste of money. If you have something that will do what you need (read NEED not WANT) it to do now then use that and stick the money in to a Savings account, companies like ING are giving 4.75% on their basic savings plans. CD's are generally safer than stocks, but with only 3,000 to invest I personally wouldn't go for stocks and stick to a 12-24 month CD or just basic savings.

Bleeding edge only lasts for months in the computer world, saving your money can bring back real monetary rewards. Hell if you continue to save and then wisely invest you can buy that new machine using the interest you made on your investments and never touch your initial principle.

Ed

I whole heartedly agree. You are young and investing $3000 in a IRA at an average return of 7% can net you HUGE money in 50 years. Add $1000 per year to that $3000 and you will be a millionaire by the time you are 55. Yes its a long ways off but there will always be money to buy a computer. Like it or not, computers are as perishiable as bananas. They just take longer to perish. As soon as one is released, its outdated.

ieani
Feb 26, 2006, 08:39 PM
I whole heartedly agree. You are young and investing $3000 in a IRA at an average return of 7% can net you HUGE money in 50 years. Add $1000 per year to that $3000 and you will be a millionaire by the time you are 55. Yes its a long ways off but there will always be money to buy a computer. Like it or not, computers are as perishiable as bananas. They just take longer to perish. As soon as one is released, its outdated.

But its not like he has $3000 laying around and nothing to do with. Investing is a very smart idea. But a computer is not a black and white investment as an IRA, where you put X amount in and get X amount back. It could be a very essential tool in aiding him in his acquiring of a career which could last him a lifetime. If he needs a computer I think he should wait on an IRA until he has a solid career where he can contribute an annual amount into the account. And that solid career will be had by a college degree. In college a computer is a necessity.

bigbadTKO
Feb 26, 2006, 09:23 PM
i know this is waay off topic...but where do i go to learn more about opening an ira? i just opened a savings account and all i have after a month is a measly .50.

rhsgolfer33
Feb 26, 2006, 09:46 PM
i know this is waay off topic...but where do i go to learn more about opening an ira? i just opened a savings account and all i have after a month is a measly .50.

Id talk to a broker or your bank. They can help you decide what type of IRA you need, how to open it, and about contribution limits. They may also talk to you about SEPs, they have much higher contribution limits and are intended for small business owners or people who are self-employed.

ieani
Feb 27, 2006, 06:50 AM

Very simply: your bank. But an IRA is not something you cannot just dip into when you need it. Do not plan on being able to take out soon after you put in.

thegreatunknown
Feb 27, 2006, 09:55 AM
I'm very amazed that this thread is still going. not really interested in keeping it going but I wanted to correct the above comment. A ROTH IRA is post-tax and you can take any of the money you put into it out at anytime. If you take money out you have earned through investments and stuff inside the ROTH, you have to pay taxes/fees, but the principal money you put in is yours just like a bank account. DON'T remember that I told you that and open it somewhere thats very hard for you to get the money back. yes, 17 is an amazing time to open one even if you are going to college.

Whiteapple
Feb 27, 2006, 03:29 PM

Dude, I myself am 16 years old, so I know what you're on about. I personally have no problems feeding myself, neither do I have to sleep under a bridge, this is why my parents, in their extreme kindness grant me the right to use their money to have extra stuff, such as a new macbook on the way for example. Dude, if you've got too much money, plz dont rag on about it, and do keep in mind that you have not earned this money. It's like this guy on the forums who was being proud of having the first macbook in afghanistan... There is nothing to be proud of, it's not YOUR money. Your parents were nice to have paid your education, so were mine.
Let this be a nice reminder that even if you think everyone here is rich (i'm not poor) because he or she uses a computer to browse this topic, therefore he or she can be displayed somebody that can't even know what to do with $3000, then you're wrong. But it is perfectly natural to think that. When I tell myself why the hell do I order something on the Apple Store while people are starving, it makes me sick. Duality of man ---> that's why charity actions are here for. If you have everything you need, then spend half of it on a high end mac mini that will come out tomorrow, and spend the other half on charity, you'll be happy.

Sorry for disturbing.

Demon Hunter
Feb 28, 2006, 01:40 AM
Like it or not, computers are as perishiable as bananas. They just take longer to perish.

Just like us! So much for your investments.

OH SNAP

ReanimationLP
Feb 28, 2006, 06:34 AM
a toss up between a Refurbed Quad G5 or a Macbook Pro. T_T