PDA

View Full Version : Why games onthe mac?

maclamb
Jan 31, 2002, 06:40 PM
I may get flamed for this, but why the preoccupation with getting games like quake, etc to perform so well on the mac?
While it may be a great test of the speed - why use the mac at all?

Why spend thousands for a general purpose system when you can get a much better (?) gaming system for a few hundred. I'm thinking PS2 here....

flame on...

evanmarx
Jan 31, 2002, 06:59 PM
now way!

is i t just me or what? no way a ps2/ps1/xbox/gamecube is going to be able to compete with a decent pc with a good graphic card AND a DSL connection. and i've tested some gaming stations and always came back to the mac/pc (whatever).

a gaming box only has to (nad can only) have aTV's resolution, which on a computer would be the smallest resolution at all (640x480 - 768x576). Mac/PC's go much higher, thus better details better quality better lighting. don't forget internet multiplayer capabilities ... ever played quake/UT/counterstrike with 24 - 32 other people online?? forget a box ...

and btw every ps2 game costs some 10-20 bucks more than a Mac/PC game ...

networkman
Feb 3, 2002, 12:49 AM
gaming on a pc seems better on paper and in person on the short term, but from the pc and macs i have seen in stores and at my computer clients' homes and businesses, the box somehow looks and plays better and you can sit in a more comfortable position which is good for long-term gaming

why would i want to play A LOT of games on a machine in an uncomfortable location like a desk and possibly corrupt my operating system or personal files?

games and dvds cause minor problems but sometimes, without maintaining your computer, games and dvds can really mess things up

since i have 3 working computers, games are ok sometimes and the games (which mess up some funtionality of my machines) are failrly modest, but some gamers overwork their gaming pcs and macs and you know who you are ;-)

my suggestion, simply get both and spread the processor intensive gaming between your gaming box and your cpu...and always back up your personal data on your pc or mac

yes, i am overly cautious but being a professional tech allows me to see freak things happen from time to time which you may not on your well maintained home machine, especially if it is a mac