PDA

View Full Version : Trying to fix powermac 4400/200

noelmac75
Jan 22, 2003, 07:05 AM
Hi

I'am trying to get my old powermac 4400/200 fixed, the powersupply blew on me about a year ago and I've been trying ever since to get a new one, they are so hard to find, recently though i found a place on the web in the uk that does them, and they want me to send it to them so they replace it for me, I cant even take it out, its very complicated, so i sent it to my local computer dealer to remove it, do u think this was a wise decision? Would it be hard to put it back in when I get the new one, I'am also looking for a modem, what is the best type of modem for a powermac 4400/200?

regards

noel

MacsRgr8
Jan 22, 2003, 09:56 AM
Originally posted by noelmac75
Hi
I'am also looking for a modem, what is the best type of modem for a powermac 4400/200?

Apple internal 56k (V90) with an iMac attached to it :D

cubist
Jan 22, 2003, 10:44 AM
Apple power supplies are usually very easy to change. Why don't you check into Apple user groups in your area? If you were in DC I think we could find one for you in a jiffy.

pretentious
Jan 22, 2003, 12:37 PM
I'd suggest you let the old dog die... its past its prime and its more of a hassle to try to keep it up and running.
With snow iMacs running at $799 (and that should be cheaper ...Apple?) and iBooks at $999 new, or at a cheaper solution for less than $200 you can get an older iMac or Beige G3 at eBay or your local used-PC store. You will enjoy these so much more than just trying to get that relic to work, all of these will blaze threw OS9 and with enough RAM will run X efficiently
With that being said your question on modem should be mute being that all of these come with one, but to the low end Mac lurkers: most Localtalk serial modems work just fine I think you can even still find them in the Mac catalogs or the usual eBay offerings. I'd personally on the other hand would suggest you use that Ethernet port that has been on every Mac since 1992(?), get broadband... if you can. I'm paying something like $25 a month for cable-service, that's like only a few bucks more than most of the dial-ups! Now I realize I'm in a large tech oriented city and prices are probably cheaper here, but I say take a look around where you live, you might find a good deal and its very well worth it for anyone.
I hope this helps, I love old Macs but once the hardware dies its hard to justify fixing it, unless you got very good reason to do so.

noelmac75
Jan 23, 2003, 05:14 AM
Originally posted by pretentious
I'd suggest you let the old dog die... its past its prime and its more of a hassle to try to keep it up and running.
With snow iMacs running at $799 (and that should be cheaper ...Apple?) and iBooks at $999 new, or at a cheaper solution for less than $200 you can get an older iMac or Beige G3 at eBay or your local used-PC store. You will enjoy these so much more than just trying to get that relic to work, all of these will blaze threw OS9 and with enough RAM will run X efficiently
With that being said your question on modem should be mute being that all of these come with one, but to the low end Mac lurkers: most Localtalk serial modems work just fine I think you can even still find them in the Mac catalogs or the usual eBay offerings. I'd personally on the other hand would suggest you use that Ethernet port that has been on every Mac since 1992(?), get broadband... if you can. I'm paying something like $25 a month for cable-service, that's like only a few bucks more than most of the dial-ups! Now I realize I'm in a large tech oriented city and prices are probably cheaper here, but I say take a look around where you live, you might find a good deal and its very well worth it for anyone.
I hope this helps, I love old Macs but once the hardware dies its hard to justify fixing it, unless you got very good reason to do so.

Thanks for your advice.

I'am really confused now, I would love to just go out and buy a laptop now and spend the money on that instead of upgraded the powermac, I'am going to need a modem and more ram anyway to run explorer well, do u think I might have wrecked my powermac cause I switched the red switch to 115v on the back of my powermac and it blew up? I dont know if its really worth getting it fixed now.

noelmac75
Jan 23, 2003, 06:45 AM
What exactly are the Ethernet ports for??

pretentious
Jan 23, 2003, 07:59 AM
What exactly are the Ethernet ports for??

Its your network interface card or controller(?) or NIC for short, it usally looks like a large phone plug, and would be used for networking computers or for broadband internet access, like I suggested.
Usually if you ask the providers they'll ask you if you have one, and you can tell them w/ an astounding yes, since all Macs come with one

hvfsl
Jan 23, 2003, 08:01 AM
I sugest you you leave the 4400 and if you do not have much money get a second hand powermac off ebay. I have seen G3 powermacs there for under 200.

Or if you still want to repair the 4400, go to a shop called www.shaye.co.uk . The best modem to get would be a serial one or if you have any free PCI slots get a USB card and add a USB modem.

pretentious
Jan 23, 2003, 08:06 AM

Thanks for your advice.

I'am really confused now, I would love to just go out and buy a laptop now and spend the money on that instead of upgraded the powermac, I'am going to need a modem and more ram anyway to run explorer well, do u think I might have wrecked my powermac cause I switched the red switch to 115v on the back of my powermac and it blew up? I dont know if its really worth getting it fixed now.

I don't know about that red switch but it sounds like it, I don't think I would of done that.

It seems that you are doing fine on internet access at the moment save your money for a newer Mac buddy you will thank your self later. Save up its well worth it.