PDA

View Full Version : Apple may open tech support center in B'lore India

MacBytes
Feb 20, 2006, 10:07 PM
http://www.macbytes.com/images/bytessig.gif (http://www.macbytes.com)

Category: News and Press Releases
Link: Apple may open tech support center in B'lore India (http://www.macbytes.com/link.php?sid=20060220230745)
Description:: Apple Computer is planning to set up a technical support center in Karnataka on the lines of the one, which Dell has in India.

Posted on MacBytes.com (http://www.macbytes.com)
Approved by Mudbug

Mudbug
Feb 20, 2006, 10:11 PM
I mean absolutely no offense to any of our readers in India, or anyone in India at all for that matter. I applaud their increase in technology-savvy populus and their want to be at the earning end of well-paying deals from the West.

that said...

NOOOOOOOO! Regardless of the amount of training they endure to become more "western" on the phone with callers, the lack of clearly-spoken english on a tech support call can cause even the easiest of support questions to become one of irritation and buyer's remorse. Please, please, please keep the call centers in the U.S.

Or even better yet, go ahead and employ the Indian company for the call center, but only route Indian calls there. They already speak the language.

Heb1228
Feb 20, 2006, 10:15 PM
I thought iPod-related support was handled in India already.

iJon
Feb 20, 2006, 10:23 PM
Well there goes my sales tactic of saying Apple has better phone support.

jon

Steve1496
Feb 20, 2006, 10:53 PM
This really really sucks because this was one of the main reasons that I bought Macs, the support was good and I could easily understand the representatives (I mean no offense to anyone in India or whatnot).

After experiencing Dell and HP tech support, I'd be really upset to see Apple go down the same route.

SilvorX
Feb 21, 2006, 01:47 AM
I've worked in outsourced customer service myself, it's a very tough job, and while I was working on the job, I would regularly have to contact other departments in the company that have reps from India, which was a bit of a pain, but it would have been easier just to find an outsourcing company located in the US or Canada than send it to India, less customer complaints over the "accent", I remember in my first week of the job some b..... was going "I know you're from India, i want to talk to someone who speaks english", concidering I've never lived outside Canada and the only other language I can speak either than english is french, and not even that well

I've had bad experiences with Apple Support, not so much the support, but moreso the rep themselves, most of the reps I've speaked to in the past just act as if they're only there to receive a pay check and that's it, from my experience with customer service, they were too rude by standards the call centre I worked for was judged by

M. Malone
Feb 21, 2006, 02:13 AM
http://www.compfused.com/directlink/380/

EDIT: Contains profanity

riciad
Feb 21, 2006, 02:13 AM
I thought they already had. Every tech support call I've made has been handled by men (on a side note, anyone ever had a tech support call answered by a woman?) with Indian accents.
They've all been great though and spoke English as well as I do.

SilvorX
Feb 21, 2006, 02:17 AM
I thought they already had. Every tech support call I've made has been handled by men (on a side note, anyone ever had a tech support call answered by a woman?) with Indian accents.
They've all been great though and spoke English as well as I do.
I had one case where it was handled by a person from Ontario, Canada supposedly, while the most recent time was a woman with a very thick southern US accent

derboy
Feb 21, 2006, 05:16 AM
I'm sure all European calls already go to India, and its very frustrating. Anyone given a postcode over the phone and it get accepted upon the first attempt?!

Bound to happen, just the Amerians that were getting home grown tech support talent. So in that sense, welcome to everyone elses experiance with apple!

The computers exploit cheap labour of the far east during manufacture, so its enevitable that other survices would follow. Dont worry, i expect that the call centre procedures are 'designed in California'!! -sorry couldnt ressist that one

liketom
Feb 21, 2006, 05:19 AM
i already have had to deal with the indian branch of apple and it was not a nice customer experiance.

makes you wonder - if they just support asia then fine but i have had alot of issues getting them to understand me on the phone and that is very annoying.

BenRoethig
Feb 21, 2006, 06:35 AM
God willing this is for a growing number of Mac users on the sub-continent. Lime had been said before, it's great for them that they're moving up in the tech world, but unless they spend the time to send them through voice coaches so we can clearly understand them, this is horrible for the consumer. This seems like another cost cutting exercise.

MacSA
Feb 21, 2006, 07:00 AM
I mean absolutely no offense to any of our readers in India, or anyone in India at all for that matter. I applaud their increase in technology-savvy populus and their want to be at the earning end of well-paying deals from the West.

that said...

NOOOOOOOO! Regardless of the amount of training they endure to become more "western" on the phone with callers, the lack of clearly-spoken english on a tech support call can cause even the easiest of support questions to become one of irritation and buyer's remorse. Please, please, please keep the call centers in the U.S.

Or even better yet, go ahead and employ the Indian company for the call center, but only route Indian calls there. They already speak the language.

Sadly I agree....... I know someone who had a VERY unpleasant experience with Dell customer support in India - worse it cost them 60 and didnt resolve the problem. Part of that problem was the language barrier - the technician was quite hard to understand and got a little testy at one point becuse he wasnt able to follow the instructions properly :eek:

angelwatt
Feb 21, 2006, 08:37 AM
I use to work at a computer tech support and took calls from time to time. We never hired any Indian people because partly of their accents (though some speak english more clearly than my native-english speaking friends), but also because they often didn't know how to talk to non-computer savvy customers. They wouldd always use techie terms and go frustrated with the customers, which isn't a good thing.

The language barrier isn't that hard (if they're "willing" to work on an english accent), there's some cultural barriers though (along with technology barriers) that act in an additive manner to make it an unpleasant experience for customers.

iMeowbot
Mar 9, 2006, 02:04 PM
Apple have confirmed (http://news.com.com/2100-1047_3-6047975.html) that they are adding a new support office in Bangalore or Bengaluru or whatever they decide to call the place.

MacsomJRR
Mar 9, 2006, 02:06 PM
Please NO. Noooooooooooooooooo.

drift1492
Mar 9, 2006, 02:15 PM
Apple.....Following in the footsteps of Dell. Grrrreattt.

I cant wait for the new ibook and its 16 shades of grey.

BenRoethig
Mar 9, 2006, 02:24 PM
I'm hoping this is either for covering calls in the subcontinent or Apple sends them to voice coaches. It doesn't matter how competent the representative is if the customer cannot understand them. That goes for the U.S. centers as well.

nbs2
Mar 9, 2006, 02:37 PM
A couple of thoughts.

1) A lot of tech support in the US is staffed by "non-Americans." I remember visiting the wife's old company and noticing that she was one of the few American-born people in the company - including tech support. If you called them for support, you were going to get Mexican, Chinese or Indian. The only difference between their customers and Apple's is that Apple's will pay less since Apple will pay less.

2) Do you really want to have your cake and eat it too? Do you want Apple to grow in market share, installed base, and stock value (for those of you with stock)? Well, that means that you have a lot more people with issues, most of which can be resolved with a simple repair prefs/reboot. Apple is either going to have to raise the cost of Apple Care and support calls or reduce it's profit (and stock value) or going to be sending more calls to cheaper support centers.

Do I have issues with a lot of the tech support people? Yeah - I live on the East Coast. A lot of non-westerners can't understand me, Canadians think I talk to fast, and I'm guilty of knowcking off 30 IQ points when I hear a southern accent. But, I tend to find most of and better answers here or at the Apple KB. I can only think of one time when I couldn't fix an operations problem - and it wasn't even in the internal KB. Otherwise my calls are to fix actual hardware issues (latch, screen spots, etc) - and I can weasel a box out of Applecare.

Oh - one more thing. I have a MC with Chase. They are American, sort of. They're in Texas. They've been worse than any outsourced, overseas, customer service I've ever had.

Detlev
Mar 9, 2006, 03:32 PM
A couple of thoughts.
Do you want Apple to grow in market share, installed base, and stock value (for those of you with stock)?
Ah, you see, this is a trick question. People say they want this but their actions say otherwise.

Hardcore Apple fans are different. It's our company even if we don't own stock. The head geek is a hero, a god, and the rest are mere mortals. We are the chosen few, the enlightened. We know AppleCare personel by name. We know how to esculate our cases in under a minute. Apple is, "Precious" with power, status, and good looks to boot. Why would I want to share that? Good will? Ha, I say! Send your tech support overseas you Goliaths. We shall be one, united, and in perpetual happiness here in the U.S.of A....

Oh crud, I did it again. No, this is fine. Apple needs to grow and this is the most economical way for it to happen.